Anyone know about putting up a greenhouse?

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made Anyone know about putting up a greenhouse?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by GiddeyUp GiddeyUp 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Piersson
    Participant

I’ve been looking at vegetable greenhouses for the past couple years.  I checked some already constructed ones and they’re pretty outrageous.  The only other option is build one, so I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to put one up and what the price range might be.  Thanks!

#4647353 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

You can do that in the smaller ones.  There are some people here who do just that.  Remember you  have to heat them in the winter.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4647295 Report Abuse

Piersson
    Participant

Thanks for the help.  I was looking for one to grow stuff like lettuce throughout the winter, so not real big but big enough to grow some mature vegetable plants.  I tried googling it a couple months ago; didn’t have much luck but I’ll give it another shot.

#4647217 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

You thinking about a big professional one or more of a hobby type?   Mine is 6 x 8 x 7′ & I bought it at Lowe’s a couple of years ago for $250.  Try googling Greenhouses or Greenhouse Stores  & look at the Hobby category.

Several people on the Gardening Forum have these type Greenhouses & one has the big professional type.  Might get some more info from them.

#4647573 Report Abuse

Piersson
    Participant

Good point.  Yours looks really nice but what kind of walls are those?

#4661583 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

[quote user="Piersson"]urs looks really nice but what kind of walls are those?[/quote]  Just got back to this. Those are plastic made especially for Greenhouses. I don’t think it is actually called plastic.    This particular one has a reinforcement of some type (looks like string but I don’t really know what it is) woven into it.

#4661291 Report Abuse

brb4y
    Participant

Have never learned how to send pics to these sites but can thru email. My husband, a sis of his, her friend and I built one last spring. Took awhile since none of us knew what we were doing at all. It did super once it was done, all thru fall, and so far this winter. I’ve got it packed. Is 10′ x 12′. If you check my blog I think I have pictures from start to finish or nearly so. If they aren’t still there send me a PM with your email and I’ll send you pics. Have a heater for winter and a vent fan with windows for summer, dutch doors too. Our cost was under $2000 while similar ones cost $10,000 to have built. Is a lot of work to build, and of course, we had to customize lots as we went.

Brenda

#4681140 Report Abuse

Just Mari
    Participant

This is my first venture with a greenhouse, too. DH built a 6 X 8 last fall using scrap lumber.  The greenhouse people I used to work for gave me the channels and enough scrap greenhouse material to cover it. I don’t plan on starting seed in it.  I will buy my plants and use it to shelter them from the cold in the spring until it’s warm enough to pop them into containers.  I plan on heating it with a car warmer. The idea behind my greenhouse is for me not to have to drag plant trays in & out when frost threatens.

#4680812 Report Abuse
    sasonnett
    sasonnett
    Participant

Pierson,  to start out, I used a small frame… then covered it with a clear Shower curtain (or 2) lashing it onto the frame.  Took a desk lamp, put it in the bottom for heat when needed.  You can easily vent it on sunny days, or cover it for those cool nights that you need the lamp.    Greenhouses can be as fancy or basic as you want!    I’ve used green branches stuck in the ground in a row of arches, then covered them with clear heavy plastic… secured with rocks. 

Sharon 

#4682286 Report Abuse

Daybee
    Participant

What is it with gardening?   I’m complaining that I can’t do what I used to do anymore, yet I’m still considering a couple walk-in sized greenhouses that Big Lots has on sale. The biggest one is about $90 and the next down is $69.   I’ll never learn!!!   Should I?  Shouldn’t I???   Decisions, decisions………….

#4838818 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

I added a green house on to my house 2 years ago(fall of 2011)  The walls of mine are made of old sliding glass doors that were replaced by new ones that a contractor friend gave to me.  The roof is <i>polycarbonate that I got from a greenhouse factory that was cut the wrong size.  the concrete slab and the new sliding glass doors were the biggest expense.   The cost came in just under 2 grand plus my labor and paint.  I enjoy it all year round.  I have pictures of it on a website if you want to check it out. There is an album called ”Latest projects around the  house”. The site is http://www.picturetrail.com/lairz

#4838965 Report Abuse
    GiddeyUp
    GiddeyUp
    Blocked

Here’s one we built, Piersson …

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/community/topic/building-a-small-greenhouse/

There’s a post here with pictures …

photo 2.gif

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.