We built a bird roost! :)

Home Forums Gardening Look What I Made We built a bird roost! :)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Piersson 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kelley NE IN
    Kelley NE IN
    Participant

roosting bird house

inside roosting bird house

#4588237 Report Abuse

otnorot_ON
    Participant

Good for you that’s just what the birds need for winter.Looks well made.

Bill

#4595436 Report Abuse
    Kelley NE IN
    Kelley NE IN
    Participant

Thanks Bill. When I gave it to my gf she said that’s not a house, that’s a condo. LOL  She was thrilled to have it. 

#4595540 Report Abuse

otnorot_ON
    Participant

Kelly many years ago I made one that looked like a big doll house but I put the spars across like steps from front to back and the birds loved it.

Bill

#4612130 Report Abuse

tommytoe
    Participant

Oh yeah, the birds will love that.

#4634340 Report Abuse

Lrod
    Participant

Yes! it looks good, but if not outdoor plywood, it will ruin,  Did yu put polyurathain on it?so I always use discarted cedar fencing which I tun thru my planer to make like new wood and does not rot

Bet you can make nice ‘bat’ houses. uh “roosting” houses, If you have a body of water near-by

Lrodshy

#4640583 Report Abuse

burndet
    Participant

Very well done, the birds will certainly feel cozy and warm in there. 

#4646181 Report Abuse
    Kelley NE IN
    Kelley NE IN
    Participant

Thank you.

Lrod, we built 2 bat houses last year. They look pretty good. When I do things I like to do them in two’s, problem is we only ever stick one out. One owl house, one bat house, one roosting house, etc. :)

Except BB houses. We built 6 and gave 2 away. :) To family.

#4647298 Report Abuse

Piersson
    Participant

Thanks!  Mine didn’t look anything like this so I’ll try this version.  I didn’t know about the water thing either so I’ll put it closer to the creek.  Maybe something’ll actually use it this time.

#4646882 Report Abuse

Lrod
    Participant

Not special, just differentLook up some ilistrations, but, her is a condensed discription in a gist!

Think of it as a (fatknife) box with slits face down,

1.just wide enough to allow bats to crawl up the slitsand;

2.face it towards the rising Sun , they are warm -blooded animals, best if there is neighboring waters;

3. try to keep a clear flying approch;

4.no wires, branches,etc to block path

As in my post above, I used discarded cedar fencing as it resits rot longer, no paint , fumes can kill pups, same for birdhouses

Good luck, you’ll do ok!

lrodshy 

#4646857 Report Abuse

Piersson
    Participant

Is there a special way to build bat houses so they’re used?  I had one a couple years ago but it just sat there and rotted.  I know bats are nocturnal, but I never saw anything go near it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.