Jewel in My Garden

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Jewel in My Garden

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Movement outside my window caught my eye.  I thought wth?  There are no flowers blooming in this spot.  But, as you can see, looks like a new crop of weeds.

I wonder if he fell off the feeder.  I even got to hold him on my finger before he flew away.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4559381 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

What a nice surprise for you, Wendy.  I feared when I saw the pic that he was injured, so glad when I read that he flew away.  I’s say that is one of those once in a lifetime experiences.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559369 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

My sister in Al had one hit a window one day, she picked it up and petted it, no response. She saw what looked like a piece of pine straw coming out of it’s beak.she tugged on it and all of a sudden that bird woke up and took off, she had been pulling on his tongue!!! 

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4559341 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Noreen, I do.  I’ve always been attracted to nature since I was a child.  In fourth grade, we all joined the Audubon society.  We each got a pin saying we were members.  I lost that pin on the way home from school, and cried.

I just love watching all the birds visting my yard and gardens.  I enjoy, even more than the feeders, watching them at my flowers.  A monarch butterfly just visited my mailbox garden and stayed awhile.  I knew he would be gone by the time I got my camera so I just sat here and enjoyed watching him flit from flower to flower.  The goldfinches like to visit them too.

#4559332 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Don’t you just love having them come to your feeder?  They really are like jewels.

#4559329 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="iris43"]you were able to pick him up?[/quote]

I put my finger next to him after I snapped his picture and he walked onto it.  Light as a feather.  Then as I moved my hand to bring him closer, he flew away.  I hope he is okay and that I didn’t scare the daylights out of him. 

A female just visited. She was small, maybe a junvenile?  He hasn’t been back yet.

#4559322 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Wendy, what a special blessing!  I wonder why he ended up on the ground and you were able to pick him up?  Maybe something attacked him and knocked him to the ground…maybe heat exhaustion……..Whatever the reason, you probably gave him a second chance at life.[:D]

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.