Plant ID please (skippydel)

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Plant ID please (skippydel)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I think this may be nicotiana (there is one in there under one of those huge leaves that is about choked out but has reached out and put a few blooms out) but then I think is it gerbera daisy?  The poor penta is getting bud clusters but do believe it may be choked out in the long run. LOL  HELP! Is this normal for the plant leaves to get this big if it is nicotiana?

#4559385 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

That does look like the white nicotiana from Leslie….did you get any of those seeds from her at Bette’s?  If it is….stand back…..that baby gets huge!  I think it is a different variety then some of the other nicotiana.  The gerbera has more jagged edges while the nicotiana are a smooth edge.

Here is the pic of the leaf….

You can sorta see the leaves on this pic as well.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559368 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

I have a nicotiana that has big leaves like that……and then some that have narrower leaves..I was just thinking they were two different varieties.  will have to go look again and see.

#4559363 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

See the leaves on these gerbera? They are also smoother, I think, than nicotiana.

Full size picture of Gerbera Daisy, Transvaal Daisy, African Daisy, Barberton Daisy, Gerber Daisy (<i>Gerbera jamesonii</i>)

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#4559357 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Gayle, it does look like a gerbera also, but the leaves on my gerberas are shaped a little different. Hard to tell I guess until it blooms.

#4559343 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I think you’re going to have to wait for a bloom to confirm because it looks just like my Gerbera Daisy.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559238 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Del, did you see the pic of Charlene’s leaf? She put a napkin on it to show how big it was.

#4559247 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Well I guess I have a confirmation of the ID then. LOL  Funny the one being smothered is blooming and this one isn’t.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.