Wednesday on the VIP- July 4

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Wednesday on the VIP- July 4

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I know it is usually hot on the fourth but not this hot!   I guess we will have something cooked on the grill tonight, DD works today so no day long celebrations. And I am keeping my fingers crossed that none of the kids around here want to use any fireworks tonight since it is so dry. They have even cancelled several of the big displays in the area because of that. I worked outside yesterday until it was time to come in and get cleaned up and go give blood. They were finishing me up when all of a sudden I broke out in a sweat and got dizzy, they tipped me upside down and gave me two glasses of  cranberry juice then made me go have more and some cookies, it seems that my blood sugar went way low. I am sure it had something to do with me working outside in the heat for so long then not taking time to get hydrated before I donated. But I felt like crap all the rest of the day so I went to bed early and feel fine this morning. I sure won’t let that happen again. I had told Kathy yesterday that the japanese beetles were hiding out in the ground because of the heat but last night I noticed my first Kopper King hibiscus was open so went out to take a picture of that, well guess what I found dining on that bloom?
      I noticed that the bed at the church is looking wonderful in spite of the fact it hasn’t had much rain. Red wave petunias, blue and white angelonia and it is beautiful now. I will try to get pics next time I go over there. Right now I am heading outside to get what watering done I can do and turn on a soaker hose. After that I am going to start cleaning cupboards in the kitchen….not that they need it or anything [;)]
      Have a Happy and SAFE Fourth everyone.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4559647 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Karen, I bet that she would truely enjoy just hanging out with you in your back yard….smelling the flowers…obseving the birds and butterflies…sipping some iced tea….and enjoying the surroundings.  Don’t make her swim in your pool….I’ve been told that the water is cold….LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559585 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

[quote user="plantdoctorzn4"]

Karen…how exciting for your town!  Will you as “1st lady” of your fair city get to meet and entertain the 1st lady of our country?  I think she’d be fun to hang out with. 

[/quote]

It is pretty exciting, Charlene, but we will be glad when tomorrow is over.  We’re exhausted.  I don’t think we are going to see Mrs. Obama this trip.  Tim has hinted, but no one from the campaign is buying it.  LOL!  I’d love to talk gardens with her.  That would be fun! 

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#4559494 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Karen…how exciting for your town!  Will you as “1st lady” of your fair city get to meet and entertain the 1st lady of our country?  I think she’d be fun to hang out with.  Stop by when you can….and be sure to check out the picture posts.  Everyone has such pretty gardens and containers now.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559491 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Happy Independence Day!  It is a hot one here today, too.  Looks like we are just under 100°this afternoon.  It really is quite miserable.  Our Godchildren came over this morning and went swimming.  Bless their hearts!  They made the best out of the chilly water.  It is the warmest it has been and that is 78°.  We aren’t supposed to cool down any time soon, so perhaps the water may warm up yet.  I know, I complain about how cool our pool water is every year.  : )  When we get rich we will find a way to heat the water.  LOL!    

DH and I have been busy preparing for a visit from President Obama to our fair city.  He arrives tomorrow and there is MUCH that has to be done to pull off a presidential visit.  We had no idea just how much work this was going to require. There are thousands of details to be dealt with and DH is taking the brunt of things.  He ought to do nothing but sleep on Friday.  Looks like our weather will be a carbon copy of today during the visit.  Our garage freezer just got hauled out to the visit site to keep plenty of ice on hand. Ought to make for a very interesting day!   

I have tried to keep my pots watered and the hummingbird feeders as fresh as possible.  That is tough in this heat.  I hung fresh syrup last night and I could have sworn that the feeder hanging on the family room window looked like the syrup was already clouding up at 10:00 this morning.  Grrr…

Well, DH just called with another chore for me, so I better get moving.  Eventually I would like to set down and look at picture posts and perhaps post myself.  I’ll have to see what Friday brings. 

Sharon, I am sorry to hear about your sister.  That must be enormously difficult for you.  Hugs!  

I hope everyone is having a FABULOUS July 4th!           

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#4559400 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

little late getting here, but been on other threads…….I’ve been in and out moving the sprinkler around and got the worx blower out to blow some of the storm debris….pods of leaves still attached to the branches…….and also weeded a little out of the rose bed…..turned the soaker hose on in it…….and weeded an area along the side of the rose bed that has marigolds, salvia, petunia, 4:00s butterfly and some other stuff in it……and I was soaked in sweat and feeling drained.  Came in to cool off….but I think I may just get showered up and call it a day……the heat is just draining me.  I was thinking I should get the pressure washer out and do that since it is so hot and I always seem to get soaked doing that, at least I could stay a little cooler.  just don’t think I have the energy, though……..

Sharon, so sorry about your DS….hugs to  you, and prayers as you go thru the grieving process.

#4559396 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Sharon….a big hyperspace hug to you {{{{{{Sharon}}}}}}  You have my deepest sympathy.  I hope you and your other sister can have some good bonding time and find strength in eachother to be able to cope with this.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559339 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

Good Morning everyone and Happy 4th!  I slept late, 8:30 and it was already 92* and is going up to 104* and the humidity is 90%.  Just real hard to breath for me.  I’m watering a few things but don’t know why, they will burn up anyway.  Maybe I can just keep them alive for the JB to eat. 

No news on Tim, his doctor is out of town until next week so this week all the appointments are just for tests.  When all the test results are in then we meet with the doctor and make a game plan on what will be done.

I am just going to try to stay cool today and wait for Sunday when our high temp will be under a 100*.  we have a 20% chance of rain then too. 

I hope everyone has a good day and make the best of whatever your plans are.  Lair

#4559323 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Good morning everybody.  Happy 4th.  It is 88º & sunny.  I signed on this morning & couldn’t get to my E-Mail (1st thing that comes up) said a problem processing my request, try later.  So then I went to FB to check a couple of things.  Site Down.  Was wondering if y’all were going to be here or not but you are.

Going to go spend the afternoon & evening w/ my DB & SIL.  They bought a big motor home last year but only use it locally except for one or two trips a year.  They’re “Camping” this week.  Place has a pool & private beach so that’s where I’ll be this afternoon.  Then a cook out tonight & fireworks before coming back home.  My poor dog & cat will probably be thrilled to see me.  Hopefully there won’t be too many fireworks going off here before I get back.  The idiots here seem to wait till after 10 to start with the fireworks.  Cat will probably be under the bed when I get home.

I was going to water before I left but things don’t look too bad.  I did a couple of the pots & I think the rest can wait till tomorrow when I’ll soak them.  Got my grass cut yesterday, using the old reel mower.  Not bad.  If it didn’t need to be cut I just left it for later, like my front yard.  A different kind of grass & it’s not growing fast in this dry heat.

Sharon, sorry to hear about your Sister.  Did she pass recently? 

Del, we gave those pills to all the cats when we brought them from Md. to Tn.  Made them sleep & then they were fine the next day.  No way I could have taken 4 cats 500 mi w/o them & none of them used to riding in a vehicle.  Oh, and your MW is blooming.  Took a pic & will put it on Charlene’s thread in a couple of min.

I have a garden flag that is stars & stripes & a smaller one with an American flag as part of the design.  I put those out earlier this week & will leave them there till after the weekend.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559274 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Wow.  It’s only 10:00am and I just came back inside.   It is HOT outside.  I don’t think I’ll be transplanting any zinnia seedlings or potting perennials today.  This is definitely going to be a three-shower day.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4559234 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good morning and happy 4th.  70º this morning, bright and sunny.  I have the sprinkler turned on for the tomotaoes and my largest bed.  I’ll leave that running til everything gets good and soaked because it’s going to be the 90′s later.  Possible thunder storms this afternoon and then it is supposed to clear out for the fireworks.  If we get it, less watering for tomorrow.

I always start my zinnias now so that I have late summer blooms and it seems to avoid the white mildew.  Mom taught me that.  I did start them a couple of weeks ahead of schedule so now I have seedlings that I can transplant.  In addition to my seeds, I threw in seeds from people here.  The results should be real interesting.

Molly, that sounds scarey.  I’m glad you’re ok.

Deloris, that could have been a disaster.  I’m glad you caught JB in time.

Leslie, I slept in this morning too.  Could have been because I stayed up to 3 in the am reading.  I just couldn’t put my Kindle down.  When the battery wound down, so did I.  I also have a few perennials I need to put in pots.

Sharon, big comforting hugs to you.

Charlene, you are a good friend.  I need to go nextdoor and water for my neighbor.  She’s at the lake enjoying a family reunion.  They are staying in a cabin for the week.

Have a wonderful and safe day today.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4559236 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Sharon, I am so sorry. Hugs and prayers for you and your family.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#4559240 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Sharon I am so sorry for the loss of your sister. 

Charlene thanks for saying you had to hang the flag, I took mine down before the storm the other night and didn’t put it back up. It is lighted so I can leave it up at night but didn’t want it to end up at the neighbors either. He has his own:-))

I just got in from watering all of the pots and picking the darned beetles again, I just knew the minute the hibiscus started to bloom they would be out again and they are. I am in for some breakfast then will go back out and try to get something accomplished. It is pretty cloudy out there don’t know if it is clouds or haze but at least the sun isn’t beating down now.

Del my dd has a dog (the biggest one of course) who is terrified of thunder, he can hear it long before we do. So when he gets “that look” we give him a benadryl and that calms him down enough to put him in the little bathroom where there is no window and he does fine there. The vet recommended the Benadryl.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4559245 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Molly I tried the benadryl and it did nothing for him.  He shakes so bad my friend who doesn’t even like dogs tried to cuddle him up this past weekend and she said OMG girl, I had no idea it was this bad and she broke down and cried trying to hold and calm him.  I hate to give him those pills but I don’t know what else to do for him but drug him up.  He rams himself under the bed and gets stuck, pants so hard I’m afraid he’s going to have a heart attack, its bad, the worst I’ve ever seen a dog do, guess from where he was a stray and had to weather it all in the woods up in the mountains where he came from and I have to wonder if the strip mine explosions down in Pikeville doesn’t have something to do with it and how he got bitten by rattlesnakes, he probably dove in a cave or rock ledge and they ate him up.  Just glad he got to the railroad track before collapsing so the rescue found him and fixed him. He really is a good dog and now my friend has gotten attached to him and said I don’t care for dogs, but I love JB. LOL  These pills are over $1 each, its what they give them pre-surgery to calm them before anesthesia.

#4559221 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning everyone.  It is 79º and climbing….suppose to set a record high temp today.  I’m not real excited about that at all.

In a few minutes I am going to weed a garden for my BFF….when it gets too hot, I am quitting.  I’ve already done some watering around here and hung the flag.  On the way to my BFF, I’ll water at my shop and hang the flag there as well.  DH is working today.

Molly….sounds like a scarey experience you had yesterday.  I bet it is because you weren’t hydrated.  A good lesson learned for next time.  Glad you are okay.

Del….you’ve got pills for JB?  I hope it does calm him down.  I bet the fireworks would upset him as bad or worse than a thunder storm.  LOL….I bet you were ready to take a pill yesterday.

Leslie…sounds to me like you are having a working vacation.  It is rewarding to get some of those job done though, isn’t it?

Have a great 4th of July everyone!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.