Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Wednesday 7/04/12

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Gardening Pictures Past & Present… Wednesday 7/04/12

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by steve232__nc steve232__nc 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

I’ve been waiting for these zinnias since late winter when I found the seeds for them and finally they are beginning to open.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4559158 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Steve, none of my zinnias are anywhere near opening yet.  They seem to be late this year.  As for my glads you should go read my post on Stella’s 12 step thread.  They do fall over & I don’t like that.  This year they are taller than ever .  Some are at least 5′ tall.  Next year they’re outta here.  Might put them in a different bed, might get shorter varieties or maybe none.  Haven’t really decided yet.

Gloriosa Daisy. I hope to have more of these next year.

And some garden variety no name daisies.  No worry about having more of these.  They come up all over the place every  year.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559159 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

What an unusual color but beautiful zinnia Steve.

My calla lilies are still going strong. I took a pic of a deep burgundy one too but the pic didn’t turn out.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4559171 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I love those calla lilies, Kathy.  They bloom in such romantic colours. [:O]

I took this picture through the arbor, of the east border gardens on Canada Day.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#4559172 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Good morning all & Happy Independence Day. Nice & cheery yellow flowers &  lovely Calla Lily  today. Iris, I love your gardens, they are beautiful & look welcoming.

These were planted last year, my 1st try with Coydalis. Was able to save the Martha Washington Geranium & Coleus over Winter but Cory never returned.

I know you’ve all seen these before (I’m kind of partial to them); anyway reds & whites: Double Impatiens, Euphorbia & Fuchsia.

One of my true favorites (planted tons of seed for them everywhere this year) Echium Blue Bedder.

American Painted Lady butterfly on Joe Pye Weed.

This is kind of cheating but it’s the only Caryopteris I could ever get to bloom for me…& it was brief.

This is another late Autumn (kind of messy) mixture of red, white & blue colors. Oh no, I don’t believe I planted any Marigolds this year???  

One of my first red Sunflowers a few years ago.

Hettie Rose after the storm.

Black & Blue Salvia last year. Hope eveyone has a great day with very limited labor required. Speaking of which I should go water the plants while the weather is nice:-)

#4559210 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Another phlox starting to bloom.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4559211 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

What beautiful flowers for the fourth, I don’t have a Patriotic one today just a pic of my first Kopper King Hibiscus with two JB’s on it (they didn’t live long after that pic was taken, they swam in the soapy water)

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4559213 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Gayle, get you some of those round wire supports (has legs you push into the soil) and it will hold the glads up (easy fix and you should be able to get them on clearance this fall, I got several last year and then only used one (STUPID)). LOL  MD I love that echum blue bedder, its beautiful and I do believe I’m gonna have to see about getting seeds for that next year. How tall does that get?  And I love the double impatients, think I’ll get seeds of that and the sunpatients next year.  This doesn’t show the beauty of the color of this Imagination Verbena I grew from seed with the sun on it, but its a beauty and will grow it again next year.

Sandy this will show you the bells of ireland that self-seeded, went to the ground and came back up, they are huge in behind that mum on the right.

Another shot of that flower bed

Double petunia that is in with the imagination verbena

And not a flower but this is priceless to me this morning, puppy got her position right to catch rays of sunshine through the window, can you see her smiling and what do you think she is thinking, I think “Thank you Lord for my rays of sunshine”

#4559493 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I can see by all of the beautiful photos here today that everyone’s gardens are flouishing!  I’d love to comment on all of them….but I’ll leave that up to Steve.

Steve….in answer to your question yesterday…”how do you borrow seeds”…..here is a picture of Kathy doing just that….lol.  I guess I should have said that we deadheaded them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Since it is the 4th of July….guess I’ll do a red white and blue theme today.

Will Rogers Red zinnia

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

White Double click cosmos

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blue Delphiniums….sorry to say these are from last year….and they winter killed.[:'(]

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559495 Report Abuse

flowerpowerzone5
    Participant

Wonderful pictures.Wish we could have flowers all year long. Here is mt bee balm blooming.Sandy

#4559276 Report Abuse
    GiddeyUp
    GiddeyUp
    Blocked

Good day everyone !   A wonderful array of blooms from the beautiful Zinnia to the cozy puppy …

I have a little series of our Scotch Broom blooming …

photo 2.gif

#4559328 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

MD, all your flower pictures are wonderful…they always are.  But I especially love your b’fly!

Deloris, I had some Bells of Ireland self-seed too.  They are not as stunning as yours….this is the second year I’ve had them.  Your picture inspires me to keep trying.

GiddeyUp, my neighbour has some Broom.  He said he had a hard time finding it as none of the nurserys carried it.  Your is really outstanding.  And a wonderful setting for it, too.

#4559334 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Del I don’t think they make those supports tall enough for my glads.  I need tomato cages.  LOL & I’d have to buy so many just to use for a week or two.  Wouldn’t be worth it.  I have others just like these that are planted against my fence so I can tie those up.  But I need some Really pretty ones.  These are kind of Blah.  I’m scattering some more Poppy seeds in a different bed this winter & thinking of planting a shorter variety of glads in with them.,  When the Poppies are done the Glads will be blooming. (I hope) along with some Cosmos.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559660 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Gayle… Those are beautiful daisies. I especially like the gloriosa daisy with the red center.

Kathy… What nice looking calla lilies. I have saw some before that my Mom grew but they weren’t nearly as pretty as the ones you are growing.

Iris… Nice peep into the arbor. Looks like theres lots of pretty flowers there.

MDgreenery… You sure have a beautiful group of pictures there but that geranium has to be my favorite in the bunch.

Wendy… I always love seeing phlox pictures. Hope we get to see those when they do get in full bloom.

Molly… Thats a beautiful hibiscus. Hope your Japanese Beetles enjoyed their swim in the soapy water.

Deloris… You too have a nice group of flowers and of course most any purple flower is one I really like. That little puppy looks to me like shes waiting for someone to come give her a little petting.

Giddey… Nice looking flowers in there. I even saw some lilies coming up in there.

Charlene… What a nice looking red, white and blue flowers you have there……. Oh I thought you said y’all borrowed some seeds but in actuality  y’all were just “helping” to care for the plants. How kind of y’all. [:O]

Sandy… Thats nice tall looking bee balm. I bet you also have hummers visiting your bee balm.

[color=violet] Thanks to each of you for posting todays pictures and comments. [/color]

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.