Gayle…the 12 step program is not working!!!!

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Gayle…the 12 step program is not working!!!!

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Grandmaof2 Grandmaof2 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Sometimes I wonder why am I doing this!!!!  All of a sudden the back of my backyard does not have ”enough” color…..hmmm.  There is too much green.  I have these plain hostas every 12′.  So I decided to take out a Chuchera, a Potentila, and a Columbine, and planted instead 3 new hostas….2 I bought yesterday and one today.  Then of course I needed to get a fuschia for the front.  I am just wondering when I will stop buying plants.  Now it’s ridiculous……..I think.  I think I’ll take up drinking…..it will probably be cheaper…..LOL

I would appreciate some words of comfort!!!!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4559147 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Stella, maybe you missed a step.  LOL

Hmm, Coleus with the Hosta.  Now there’s a thought.  Right now I have Daylilies with them.  But when the Daylilies are done I’m back to all green.  Wait, I think I just missed step 6.  LOL

I have the same problem of having something blooming all the time.  It seems I have a lot in the Spring in some beds but then nothing.  This is mostly true of my shade beds.  I need to find something that will bloom most of the summer in these beds.  I’m totally re-doing two of them.  And yes Del, I think our tastes do change.  I have all those Glads down the property line.  It was originally a place to put the little bulbs that came from the Mamas because I hated to just toss them.  .  Now they are doing so well there & gotten so tall that they keep falling over.  I don’t like that so they are coming out this Fall.

I used to love the big Dinner Plate Dahlias.  Got tired of propping those up too.  Don’t grow them anymore.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559143 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Thanks Stella.  When I made that bed this spring I just knew all the green even with the white and yellow edges would never keep me happy. 

I really wanted to use the Kong Coleus but they weren’t out when I started this bed.  Then, when they were out, I had crowded in the hosta so much that they would not have fit.  I’ll be sure to fix that next year.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4559140 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I went just to browse through the picture thread, and noticed Wendy inserted a picture with hostas and Coleus.  What a great idea.  Wish I had seen that before I ran off to buy yellow hostas.  Mind you Coleus is an annual. Still………looks like I might just run back to the store and get a few Coleus.  I love the way Wendy’s enhance her hostas.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4559133 Report Abuse

Pacman 1
    Participant

Stella, drinking works for me.  I do that while my Bride is making her Iris grow.  LOL

#4559137 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I hear you Kathy.

Del, I that was the problem.  They are the plain green hostas.  I bought the Auguste Moon one which is a  bright yellow, a Frances Williams Hosta….chartreuse green and mustardy yellow, and the one I bought today the tag is outside.  It is another type of yellow with green.  I must say the back of the yard looks better.  The mistake I made was plant colorful perennials behind the hostas……nothing in bloom yet.  I will really have to study the blooming patterns before planting another goodie.

LOL Don……you are a lucky man.  I’ve seen some of your DW’s iris plants.  I would drink and just admire them too……even though I don’t drink!!!!!!!  Her iris plants are breathtaking!

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4559132 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

That is why you have to succession plant and stuff them in with annuals so you have something blooming all year long.  That is why its good to go to the local Lowe’s or wherever and keep going back, the ones all clearanced together (perennial) will all bloom together next year, then you mix them considering the color.  I’ve got several beds to totally redo, I guess my taste has changed. LOL  But seems the others would have given color at some point, hosta just gives green colors (and some flowers but no real color). 

#4559119 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

It is comfort food for me. With all the stress from work and now my mom again the only time I can relax and feel…..normal…..is sitting outside looking at all the blooms……Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4559468 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I had a different experience today at Lowe’s, and I thought I need to find a strap to keep my hands on the cart. I found myself wanting to deadhead, or pinch flowers off of coleus. And would you believe that I saw a bunch of gerbera seed heads lying on top of a display that they had cut off of the gerberas nearby and I actually asked at the checkout what they were going to do with them? I need to get a grip!

The guy said he didn’t know but could ask when someone else came, but I didn’t wait around. I think I embarrassed myself enough. I had actually looked through the seeds and picked up a good one. But I put it back down. Whew! 

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#4559175 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Plants seem to be one of the few consistently positive pleasures of life. I bought some new potato salad yesterday (should have just made my own, like presently) to try for today’s holiday. Bought several varieties for different taste buds: sampled them all last night with dinner & they are not tasty…….all Icould think of was what a waste of $$$ as I could have used it on plants!

As far as different colors go, I like the red Coleus with green Hosta pictures too. They do look very pretty together.

Kathy, I hope you get a chance to heal yourself  when you garden as it can be grounding & a saving grace.    

#4559170 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

I started both coleus and impatiens from seed so ended up with hundreds of seedlings to plant everywhere. The earwigs love the coleus but it is starting to out-grow them. I’ll try and get some pics to share.

#4559160 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Thanks, Steve.  I have those at the back of the house.  I did put them in the one bed along the back by the woods this year.  Not doing too well.  That bed stays dry, because of all the tree roots I think.  The other shade bed needs something a little taller.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559157 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Gayle you might want to try some impatience flowers in your shade beds for some color.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.