OT: Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As OT: Where there’s a will, there’s a way!

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by skippydel13zone6KY skippydel13zone6KY 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

I needed a new hummingbird feeder and got a nice one at Tractor Supply the other day.  In my haste I didn’t realize there were no perches for them to sit on while drinking.  I know, they don’t need one, but I wanted them to have a seat.  So I found a couple plastic twist ties and made perches for them!  They are very appreciative…

This pic shows it a little better…

My name photo Myname.gif

#4558941 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Oh pooh, I can’ t see pics at work.  I only see one hummer around my yard which is a first for me in 6 years.  My neighbor said her too, just the one, not sure what has happened as the mimosa is in full bloom and they usually flock to it.

#4559000 Report Abuse

mcjughead
    Participant

Now that is using your head.  What a great inexpensive way to give the hummers a nice place to rest while they enjoy their nectar. 

Deloris,  do you have a feeder up?

Jane

#4559004 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Joanne good thinking.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4559049 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

cool.  What a great idea.  I haven’t seen many hummers this year either.  I didn’t see any till June.  Then they disappeared a couple weeks after first showing up & haven’t seen any since.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4559060 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Jo Anne if you had a dog I can only imagine how spoiled it would be lol.

Oh BTW I love that hummingbird feeder. I may have to make a trip to Tractor Supply and see if ours has one like that.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4559176 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

What a clever idea, it looks like part of the design. Think you should send this story & picture into B&B, you may just win some cash for such a great idea?   

#4559228 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Joann….that just confirms our saying that “gardeners are the greatest at improvising.”  Looks good.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4559244 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

Thanks for all the compliments…you should see the doorknob I made several years ago from two wooden bottle tops…and it’s still in use!

My name photo Myname.gif

#4559246 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Awww Joanne, you are so smart!  Yes Jane I have feeders up.  The little one port tube feeders seem to be their favorite but if I was to buy another multi-port one I would definitely recommend the humzinger, so easy to clean, has a rim for them to sit on and its got a well in the middle to put water so ants can’t get into them.  Reminds me, I broke a one-port one last night trying to clean it, I need to dig another one out and go clean all of them and get them refilled for today.w

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.