Mmmm fresh produce…..

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Mmmm fresh produce…..

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  flowerpowerzone5 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I took the donations from the church to the food bank this morning (by the way they did lose a lot of meat and frozen vegetables from the storm this past weekend)….stopped across the road and got fresh yellow squash, cukes,  sweet corn and fresh eggs! All but the corn and the eggs came from the plants I started for them. They had a lot of peppers and tomatoes too but I have my own. Guess what dinner is going to be tonight!!!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4559082 Report Abuse
    auntcon
    auntcon
    Participant

So far every tomato I have picked has had rot on one side but I did spy an eggplant Sunday when cleaning the garden so maybe eggplant tomorrow.  Green beans are vining but no blooms or beans as yet-I had to cook the ones in the freezer from 2009-they needed using anyway.  I have used 4 packages of them in the last few days.  The cucumber and zucchinni look promising.

Find more about Weather in Papillion, NE

#4559063 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Molly guess I’ll be eating with you then. No cottage cheese for me either lol. Today I did pick green beans but didn’t finish picking them. Got chased in the house by a severe thunderstorm warning and some heavy thunder. Got no rain.  :-(   After it passed I had two yards to mow so didn’t get to go back and finish picking the beans. Hopefully I’ll find time in the morning before I go to work to pick the rest of them and then when I can string and break them who knows but I will find the time. I’m behind on my supper tonight but right now I have chicken frying and gonna have some fresh squash also and will probably slice a cucumber or two as well. I love summer and fresh veggies out of the garden.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#4559035 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

All of your fresh vegetables sound so good.  Nothing here yet unless you call the 10 day old on the road stuff at the supermarket fresh.  No thinks, I can wait and I do love cottage cheese.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4559002 Report Abuse

God Bless you Molly, you are a trooper.

An odd storm it was, nothing here in MI, but did watch it develop and grow on radar. Ptetty amazing stuff.

Ron

http://www.gardening-for-wildlife.com

#4558959 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

I like sliced cucumbers,onions and sour cream with a dash of black pepper.  Always soak the peeled, sliced, cucumbers in salt water overnight, drain and rinse them before making the sour cream dish.  My mother made it that way and she learned from a German lady from Wisconsin.  It is delicious in summer.

#4558958 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

I’m a cottage cheese lover too.  I like mine with pineapple but pears are good too

We just got back from Costco and I bought some of the most delicious looking peaches (one of my favorite fresh fruits). Going to have them for dessert tonight, but I might squeeze an extra one in this afternoon for my snack…….can hardly wait.

#4558949 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Oh Molly I LOVE cottage cheese, I’ll eat it for breakfast with canned pears, YUM.  And yes I do like putting it on my salad (don’t need as much dressing that way). LOL

#4558902 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Not funny! Son came in and said I had my first red tomato but it was all of the size of a dime. He found out by his dog pen on a plant that had come up by itself. Have green ones in containers but with this weather I don’t know how long they will survive.

#4558896 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Del yours sounds good until you mention cottage cheese…that is one food I just do not like. Although there was a resturant in NY that put cc on their salads with Catalina dressing and I did like that. 

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558864 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I’ve been having green beans, ambrosa corn on the cob, cornbread, squash and zuchinni steamed with butter, salt and pepper and tomatoes with cottage cheese. YUM.  My ALL TIME FAVORITE meal.  Which reminds me my beans haven’t came on yet (got them out way late) so think I’ll run up and get some more beans to cook up and maybe a couple more ears of that corn.  Its the first picking and so tender it melts in your mouth. YUM!

#4558843 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Mmmm is right Molly. Nothing like having fresh veggies for a meal. My favorite summer meal is creamed cukes and onions, squash, sliced tomatoes and corn on the cob (I prefer field corn), you don’t need any meat with a delicious meal like that, lol…..Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4559482 Report Abuse

flowerpowerzone5
    Participant

That sounds yummy. I can’t wait for the veggy garden to get in full swing. I’ve picked peas and ate them just out of the pods so sweet. Next will be beans and squash. I just love summer and go pick what ya want for supper. Sandy

#4559427 Report Abuse
    auntcon
    auntcon
    Participant

[quote user="skippydel13zone6KY"]Sounds like blossum end rot Auntcon, do you put a handful of powered milk and epsom salts in your tomato holes?[/quote]

I think I sprinkled some epsom salts around them but cannot remember for sure.  That is what I thought it might be-do not recall having that problem before.  Anything I can do Now???

Find more about Weather in Papillion, NE

#4559249 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Sounds like blossum end rot Auntcon, do you put a handful of powered milk and epsom salts in your tomato holes?  I do that and one or the other keeps that from happening.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.