OT- I just got home from the grocery store…..

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As OT- I just got home from the grocery store…..

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ah64a 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

It is pitiful! They lost almost all of their meats, ice cream and any other perishable food they had in the store. They just got power back late yesterday and they did have a delivery of milk but just a limited supply.  I was going to make ice cream but there is no cream. I picked up some bacon so I could have liver and bacon for dinner and they have no liver yet. So I guess it will be a bacon sandwich? I guess they took a big hit in both stores.  I did see a lot of wine and beer going out the door [;)]

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558554 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

[quote user="plantdoctorzn4"]The people buying the wine and beer must have heard that with this heat everyone should be sure to “drink alot” [/quote]

That sounds good . I need to drink a lot on the hot weekends.

#4558429 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

I’m surprised they don’t have powerful generators to keep things going.  I suppose if it was for longer periods, this equipment would not be able to furnish enough power.   From what I understand, heavy generators can go for quite some time….like the ones they use in hospitals.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4558423 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

That is true gran but in this day and age there is always the threat of law suits if someone got sick from the donated foods. I wonder about our local food bank, they have huge freezers that they store meat and frozen food  in and I doubt they have generators to keep them cold that long. I will find out tomorrow because I have to take the donations from the church over for them to give out on Wed. Morning.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558410 Report Abuse

albertagran
    Participant

Isn’t that ridiculous that they have to throw it out, and not give it away.  Sometimes I can’t understand things, especially when there are people that are hungry.

#4558407 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Power outages really hurt businesses like grocery stores, convenience stores, lockers, etc.  Even though some of the stuff may have been okay…state law requires that everything be thrown.  I guess I should say that our state is that way…and I’m assuming most are.

The people buying the wine and beer must have heard that with this heat everyone should be sure to “drink alot”  LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.