A surprise in the garden – Hopscotch

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As A surprise in the garden – Hopscotch

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  hopscotch 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

I’m with you, Molly. I saw them all winter and into spring, but haven’t noticed any since they got their summer color.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#4558352 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Second time I see a Monarch butterfly coming out of the ‘maternity’ ward’ I planted in the front.  I planted milkweed, and it looks like this year there might be little blessings that will hatch in those plants.  Hope so.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4558358 Report Abuse
    GiddeyUp
    GiddeyUp
    Blocked

We get the goldfinches here too …

photo 2.gif

#4558630 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Leroy, that is awsome. I think the GF are beautiful. I saw a male on my Butterfly bush the other day. It had to just be a perching place for it, I dont think there is anything on it a GF would eat.

#4558636 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

BTW….GiddeyUp…..I love that hanging basket!

#4558387 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Aww I am jealous. By the time they turn color they head north. Maybe they are smarter than I am? Next spring I might just follow them.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558647 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Giddy always has the prettiest flowers.  I have been blessed with them all winter and summer too.  I love listening to them and this year I failed to even get my sunflowers planted. As far as the bee balm, I had one picked in a bouquet on my desk and came in this morning and I had black dots all over my desk and it was still full bloom.  So guess they sow seeds before the flower is even dead.

#4558653 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

How fortunate for you, Leroy….and all others that get to enjoy them.  I have never seen one in our yard, but we do not feed the birds…and many birds stay away from our yard because of the 2 cats guarding their kingdom. 

Raz….I believe that the female are not as bright so they are more camoflauged when sitting on the nest.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4558500 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I have them most of the summer Molly.  I saw them in early Spring, then they disappeared but I saw one yesterday.  When I was in TN they used to always feast on the Sunflower heads.  Here, they don’t touch them.  I think it is because I’ve been planting mostly the different colored ones.  I need to plant  more of just the basic yellow Sunflower, I guess.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4558505 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

I had never noticed them here before, either, but a week or so ago, while sitting outside having my morning coffee I was graced by three or four of them at one time……..

There were two that were brightly colored like this one…….and there were two that were not as brightly colored, like the top one in the pic below and I wasn’t sure if they were a different type bird, or just the opposite sex of the finch?  male or female? Been meaning to google and read up on the colorings of the two…..

#4558512 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

[quote user="growingranny_va_z7"]Aww I am jealous[/quote]

Me to. I have only seen two or three in years.

#4558527 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Wanda the bright yellow are male and the pale green are the females……Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4558542 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

Thanks, Kathy……….it figures the male gets to be the prettiest[:S]

#416220 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

I looked out the window at the sunflowers and there was a goldfinch feasting on one of the heads.  He was there quite a while and when he flew off, what looked like a female goldfinch flew off, too.  First year I’ve seen them in my yard.

#4558320 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

That is such a blessing.  My coneflowers are the goldfinch magnets.   But, I just looked up and two of them were trying out my beebalm.  I’ve never seen that before.

Yesterday I wsa looking at my garden and noticed a hummingbird at the beebalm and goldfinch and others visiting.  It was the true meaning of Birds and Blooms.  lol

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.