Monday on the VIP- July 2

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Monday on the VIP- July 2

This topic contains 11 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Good morning!  I finally got a good sleep.  It’s going to be another hot one.  I left the A/C on all day, and only opened the windows at night.  Maybe that’s why it was so nice to sleep.

Yesterday was Canada Day….a statutory holiday….nothing was open.  I did go visit my DS and family.  I took my two grandaughters to the park, and we had a great time.  Every time I am with one of my grandchildren, I keep pointing out how beautiful nature is.  Yesterday, there were so many robins fluttering about.  So now even the 3 year old knows that a bird with a red belly is a Robin.  Oh well, time enough to correct that because there are other birds with red bellies….LOL

I’m working at trying to make an artificial turf patch near the steps at the back of the house.  I thought of natural sod, but with Zorro using that area (hmmm), I think this will be better.  I will be able to wash it with soap. I did plant the lisianthus that survived.  Not sure what I will be doing most of the day, but I know I will go to my DGS’s soccer game this evening.

Hope you all have a great day.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#4558390 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

Good Morning everyone, I am later this morning than usual.  I went out early and sprayed the JB and grass hoppers. The JB have eaten most of my grape leaves already.  It is now 11 am and I can’t  take it anymore.  It is 92*degrees and our humidity is 93%.  We have predicted highs above 95 for the next 10 days with no rain.  We only had a half inch rain in June so I am pretty much living desert conditions.  I guess what comes,comes. 

Tomorrow Tim has his first appointment with his oncologist.  He had Hodgkin’s-lymphoma for sure. The next step is to find out what stage it is and how it is to be treated.  We will spend most of Tues and Thursday at the hospital having test done.  The only good part of that is the AC.  Keeping my fingers crossed for good news on all the results.

I better get back to my AC in the kitchen, my arms are sticking to the desk.  You all have a good day and stay cool.  Lair

#4558397 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Lair I am glad you have a/c at least in the kitchen, I can’t imagine trying to live without it in those temps (or mine either). Tell Tim I wish him all of the best news possible and we are all pulling for him.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558430 Report Abuse
    cookielei_IN
    cookielei_IN
    Participant

Another warm day here with chance of rain We finally received .06 inch of rain the other day but with strong winds and many people are still without power. Like Molly I am picking up brances and bill cut up large limb that fell from the tree.

I have been canning and freezing peas beans and beets.

#4558445 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone. No, it’s not that I am being lazy not getting up til afternoon. With this heat I have to get everything I can done in the morning. We had storms last night so got a little rain. Not a great amount, but had some wind and lightning. The kittens decided it was safer inside, so they came in while the worst was going on. Boy did the temp outside drop. It felt better outside than inside, since I turned the acs off during the storm.

Finally got the gh down before the sun got too hot on the deck. Still have a lot to clean up out there and want to put some deck wash on when I get that done. Working on DGS’s room right now, throwing away as many toys as I can while he isn’t here. I could not get in touch with his mom so went this morning, but found out he is at his other gmom’s til Wed. So I will probably get him Thursday. I have plenty to keep me busy til then.

Have a good afternoon, what is left of it. I need to head out to see DF for a bit and then I will either get back to work in DGS’s room, or work on cleaning out my closet. Maybe when it cools off I’ll work some more on the deck.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

#4558481 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Afternoon everybody.  It started out cloudy & cooler this morning but that didn’t last long.  Once the sun came out it warmed up quick.  At least it wasn’t the upper 90s like we’ve been having.  I think it went to 91º.

I had to come home & put the sprinkler out again though because some things were wilting even though I soaked them yesterday.   When it gets hot & dry things start to dry out, wilt, and die .  EXCEPT for the weeds in the driveway, they thrive.  LOL

I got all my assignments done today so work is done for the week.  I really like these one day weeks.  But I’d like a no day week even better. LOL  But after a while I’d probably miss it & be bored.  Besides it supports my gardening addiction.

I cleaned out the Poppy Bed a little while ago.  So easy to collect the seeds.  I just turned the pods upside down over a container & they poured right out of there.  I have “TONS”.  I sprinkled some back in the bed, will save some for snow days & already thinking about another bed of them.  And I’ll still have plenty to share.  (I won’t forget yours Wanda.)

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4558234 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Morning Molly and all who follow.  Today will be the first day in 5 that the temps will not be over 100, we only be 98. LOL  We had major storms come through, BIG TIME lightening, thunder and winds (trees down everywhere and lots were without electric, thankfully it wasn’t me) but pool was bogged down with mimosa tree blooms this morning, thankfully I went out and checked and since I used electrical conduit pounded about 1 1/2 feet in the ground, my little awning made it through but poor JB was going wild panting, shaking and running.  I’m tired and had to get up earlier to get my friend up who leaves 30 minutes before I do.  I love her to death but she as well as me are ready for her to have air and go home. LOL  I work 2 days, off Wednesday, work 2 more and then I have a week’s vacation (WOOHOO) but my old neighbor is coming in to stay for the first few days so more company.  We only got 1/4th inch of rain for the lost sleep I got it sure doesn’t seem worth it. HAHA  But am thankful for what we got and no damage at my house.  Molly sorry you have all that cleanup to do but WOOHOO, you have all week to work on it, doesn’t that sound wonderful!  Everyone have a great day, need to go pack some lunches for me and my friend.

#4558266 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Good morning all.  It is a beautiful summer morning here.  Cool, sunny, and blue skies with white wispy clouds.  My brother in Maryland will be coming home from a trip to a house without power due to the storms.  I don’t envy him.  Maybe they’ll make a uturn and head up here.

I have work today and tomorrow then I’m off until the 16th.  We are having jeans days so it will feel like vacation these two days even though I have to go in.  Nothing else planned for me other than watering.

Hope those who have suffered damage and/or power loss get back to normal quickly.

Have a wonderful day.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4558269 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Good morning Molly, Del, Wendy and all to follow.  It is going to be another hot one here….and still no rain in sight.[:(]

Molly….homeade butter pecan sounds wonderful to me….yumm.  My 2 DGDs have had their learners permits for a year now.  Iowa lets them get those when they are 14.  I haven’t had the privilege of riding with them yet.  Their parents say they are both pretty good drivers.

Del…sorry about the storm…and what a disappointment to only get a little rain from it.  I hadn’t read about a friend staying with you….nice of you to offer your home so she can stay cool.

I also hope Steve is okay….he did say that it was starting to storm when he started the pic post for today.

I work today….no AC there, but it stays pretty nice as long as I keep everything closed up and keep the fans going.

Have a great day everyone and stay cool.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4558274 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

Good morning everyone!  It’s a beautiful morning, too!  Temp is 64, but humidity is high.  Weatherbug says it’s 96%, but find that hard to believe… The sky is bright blue with nary a cloud in sight.

Nothing planned for today, except maybe making bread now that my oven is fixed.

My name photo Myname.gif

#416209 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I had trouble getting to sleep last night, maybe because there was no thunder to lull me to sleep? For the first time in days we did not get any noise, light or rain. Although the rain didn’t do much since it was so hot it all disappeared after an hour in the sun every morning. I heard they did have some bad weather south of us in NC, hope Steve made out ok. I don’t know which of my many chores I will do first today, there are still lots of branches to pick up all over the place, have to get some groceries and this afternoon take DGD to the orthodontist. She gets her learner’s permit this morning and wants to drive me there! Pray for me please?[:P] I told her she could drive halfway there but when we get on Rt 17 which is horribly busy I will take over. I made some ice cream last night, there is Strawberry or Butter Pecan to choose from. I have to make some for a picnic at church next Saturday and since it has been so long since I made it I wanted to try it out first and you get to be the guinea pigs [:D] Have a great day everyone.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558311 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Good morning. I didn’t sleep well last night either. Temps are to be near 100 today but I just pray the humidity won’t be high too.

In a few minutes I need to get ready and sneak across town to the courthouse to get my tags. I also need to pay a couple of bills and visit mom for a while.

I watered for 3 hours last night so I hope that will be enough until tomorrow. The front yard that I got grass to grow has died out. I just couldn’t keep it wet enough in this heat to keep it going so I will start over this fall…….Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.