Please HELP

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As Please HELP

This topic contains 24 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Gayle Gayle 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

lrainstar
    Participant

First time growing zucchini and the blooms keep disappearing like they have been cut off please help  I want to make bread this fall.

#4557214 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Gosh I have no idea, I know the first blooms are usually males so they don’t produce fruit but to totally disappear, something must be eating them.  But I’ve never had that happen (I’m in town and have possum, raccoon and rabbits for sure).  They are pretty tasty (if you have ever ate any) but rabbits, squirrels, rats, just about anything will eat them if given the chance – they get a taste and come back nightly. If all else fails, build a box with rabbit wire over it to sit over top, bees can get in to pollinate and hopefully critters can’t with those little squares of the rabbit fencing.

#4557217 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

It does sound like some critter is dining on your blooms. The best bet is for a cage over the blossoms as Del suggested.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4557218 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Do you have deer?  They have been doing exactly that to my Daylily blooms recently.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4557219 Report Abuse

lrainstar
    Participant

Thank you for the info , I’m going to make a cage and put over it tonight.[H]

#4557223 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

You could take row cover and go over it but then you have to worry about going out and pollinating them since they bees can’t get to them, make your cage big as you know they keep growing and growing and getting bigger. LOL  You could do like I did with my onions at first (dog trampling them), I took a big piece and bent it in a half circle shape and pinned it to the ground on each side and then closed up the ends with wire so I didn’t have to build a frame and all that.  Then you can just lift it up to pick and then restate it on that one side.

#4557224 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

By the way, WELCOME TO THE GARDENING BOARD.  I hope you come join us daily!

#4557239 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

Del, what did you mean, a piece of what bent in half circle shape?

#4557241 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Oh my bad, rabbit fencing.  Did you see how I had my onion patch done when you were over?  But that was to keep JB from walking all over them and breaking them to the ground. LOL

#4557292 Report Abuse

lrainstar
    Participant

Well thank you very much.If ya’ll don’t mind I need to vent I had a ct scan today get there and their machine is down they sent me to another place to have it done and the ac went out in my car on the hottest day of the yr. Thanks everyone  for the vent.

#4557297 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Dag, its TOO HOT to not have AC, I’m so sorry, you have a right to vent.  Having a black car, its like an oven in there!

#4557345 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Welcome to the board. It sounds like you had a rough day and it is too hot to even think of driving without a/c. Hope your ct scan comes out ok. Feel free to vent whenever you need to you will find a good bunch of caring people here. 

#4557447 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Sandy I live in town, I’d be in jail if I started shooting. LOL

#4557363 Report Abuse

lrainstar
    Participant

The wire cage worked no more critters snacking at night . Thanks all.

#4557364 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

That is good news now how about the a/c in the car?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.