I have a hypertheorical ??? here.

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As I have a hypertheorical ??? here.

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Gary, my GH goes up in Oct (not a permanent one), thre plants I want to overwinter go in as soon as it gets too cold for them outside.  Then the seedlings go in when I get them started & by April it is usually empty & ready to take down till the following year.  I do leave the frame up year round.

In Use, I think this was this Spring after I had already removed some of the bigger plants I was over-wintering.

Frame in place

Last year

And this year

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4557864 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

I did like Kathy’s. and it was just a little bit high in the $$$$ side. But I think she will get it for a gift. Because she don’t have control of the [color=red]CK. BOOK[/color]

#4557885 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant
    #4557889 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I guess I missed this post before.  I have a GH similar to Kathys….mine has the same floor area as hers, but mine is shorter.  She has the automatic vents and i have to open mine manually.

Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4557908 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Molly, if I were you that is exactly what I would do.  At some point that big GH is going to become  work more than pleasure but I think you would enjoy one like Kathy’s.  Rather than put more money into repairing the one you have I would go for the smaller one.  Easier & cheaper to maintain, can have it closer to the house.  And it will force you to limit what you can start.  Good or bad.  LOL

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4557926 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I found a pic of mine.  I do have mine on a concrete pad and Kathy has hers on the ground.  There are pros and cons to both.  I got mine from Farmtek, but it is made by Clearspan company.  I got it in 2004…it was $1200 for the GH and the concrete.  I am sure both are more expensive now.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4557930 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

When do you move your plants into the GH?

#4557975 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Here I cannot move my plants into the GH until mid April and then still need to use heat a few nights in April and May.  This year we had an exceptionally early spring, so I was able to move plants out there in March.  I wish I could afford to have a GH year round and be able to heat it.  Maybe someday.  We all gotta dream, don’t we?  LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4557987 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

That is another positive thought for me downsizing…the cost of heating one. By limiting my space I would have to be wiser in the amount of plants I start in the spring. I am already pushing my limit on what I can take care of and to dig new beds at my age isn’t wise. I have a lot of perennials and I do like to grow some annuals to use for church flowers, after church on Sunday I get to bring them home and enjoy them during the week unless I let someone else take them home. But having a few people “forgetting” to return my vases I am not offering them very often any more. I am going to call my insurance company tomorrow to see if the greenhouse is covered as an outbuilding…if not I probably will be sure to offer it for sale as soon as I can get it emptied out and cleaned up.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4558024 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

[quote user="ah64a"]

When do you move your plants into the GH?

[/quote]

I move mine in during the month of October, before the first frost.  I move them back out again in April and first part of May.  Lair (the rich one, where do you get the idea I’m rich?)

#4558643 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

Gary, I remember that nice seeding shelf your son built for you……..I bet between the two of you, it might be cheaper to buy the stuff and make one yourselves.  But, then if you build it out of wood, it will deteriorate faster…..but a friend of mine that used to work for me in my greenhouse is missing it so much she is thinking of starting one up and she found directions for one made of PVC…she was thinking of ordering the plans for it.  I think that would be neat.  I do like the ones like Kathy and Charlene have………maybe someday!  I like the one Del posted the pic of made from the cattle panel, too.  I might go for one of those for the time being.

#4558656 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Molly just remember you can’t lay everything out flat like in the one you have now, you’d have to do shelvings and rotate like us. LOL  And you can’t overwinter everyone’s stuff for them (hate that for them) or I doubt grow all those plants for all the produce stands and get your stuff in there too, right?  But at some point you have to say what they hay and just downsize so you have time to enjoy life.  I’m quite amazed at how long the greenhouse plastic is lasting (see if I was there I’d take all that old plastic from you and I’d have enough for years to cover the sections on mine. LOL)  I’m thinking with my arm and shoulder problems, I probably won’t grow so much next year.  Sad when you can go select a 6 pack of annuals for 99 cents or less and I wonder how much electric and time I burned to grow the same thing.  Thinking I should just winter sow stuff IN my little greenhouse unheated and see what mother nature will do for me on her own.  Grow some things inside that are special.

#4558659 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Tina….I only heat it a few evenigs each Spring so I can’t say if that makes it easier to heat or not.

As far as easy to put together….absolutely not!  DS and i did it…..and it came with directions that did not say a single word….pictures only.  My son and I are both good at building things and also mechanically inclined….but it was quite difficult.  DS & I could have easily built one in the time it took to put this together.

Kathy’s sons are carpenters and put things togther all of the time….and she said they had the same problem.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4558569 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

Bump up for tina.

#4558585 Report Abuse
    tinaintn7
    tinaintn7
    Participant

Thank you Garyanna for bumping up for me. Tell Dw that me and her need to go shoppingfor a GH. Since me and Garyanna both need one lol. Charlene and Kathy, did yall assemble yourselves? If so was it pretty easy?  Charlene, does it make it easier to heat with a concrete floor?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.