I have a hypertheorical ??? here.

Home Forums Gardening General Gardening Q&As I have a hypertheorical ??? here.

This topic contains 29 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

ah64a
    Participant

What if a friend of mine wanted to buy a greenhouse. Now She is not a good gardener. (like me)

Her DH said that it would be cheaper to buy onethem try to build one. She don’t know how big She wants to go with it.

I said to think what you would need and buy one size bigger. So hupertheorical speaking I think I gave her some good advise! I did tell her not to go with a tall one. Because heat  rises to the top.

What size would you recomend HER to buy?

#4554189 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

IMO, she should be looking at what they refer to as Hobby Greenhouses, which is what most of us have..  Either a Pop Up (like Bette’s) or a framed one ( like mine).  Since she is a beginner, she doesn’t need a huge one for starters.  Mine is 6′ x 8′ x 7′.  Could be a little bigger but it works.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4554190 Report Abuse

Knitnut__WA
    Participant

I just use a carport frame and wrap it in plastic.  I close the ends with those umm, umm, those umm, you know……those big squeezer things.  LOL   CHEAP!

#4554196 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

I am so happy that I chose the one I got. I was going to get a smaller one but since I start so many seeds I decided to go with this one, Best thing I have ever got for that amount of money.

Standard Features:

Easy Assembly

• Designed so that you can easily build it yourself!
    • All parts are pre-cut, pre-drilled and ready for assembly.

12 Year Warranty

• Aluminum frame covered by a 12-year warranty against manufacturing defects.

*8mm polycarbonate and optical accessories are covered by the warranties of the manufacturers of those items.

Extra-wide Single-Hinged Door

• 3′ extra-wide door
    • Wide enough to move gardening equipment and plants in and out easily.
    • Features the same high-quality 8mm polycarbonate covering to match your greenhouse.
    • Keyed lock provides additional security.

Covering Panels

• 8mm clear twin wall polycarbonate covering* provides oustanding strength against extreme

Generous Size & Maximum Work Area

• Sidewall height of 5′-7¾” from the ground to the eave and an overall height of 8′-3½” from the ground to the peak.
    • Offers ample headroom for you to work and plenty of space for your hanging baskets.
    • The 9′ width provides you with plenty of workspace, even with benches in place on both sides of the greenhouse. 12 feet long.

Roof Vents

• Two 2′x3′ manually controlled roof vents allow you to circulate air and let hot air escape when necessary. ( I got the automated vents)

*If your gardening needs call for greater circulation, for an additional charge Nexus Corporation can equip you with additional greenhouse accessories including exhaust fans and motorized shutters that help you better regulate the temperature inside.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4554203 Report Abuse

Knitnut__WA
    Participant

Wow!  Yours is fancy!  I just plant in the ground in mine.

#4554214 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Hypothetically I would advise buying one like Kathy’s. It will last a long time and give “her” plenty of room for growing lots of vegetable and flower plants.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4554216 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="growingranny_va_z7"]Hypothetically I would advise buying one like Kathy’s[/quote]

If I had hypothetical cash and space, I would hypothetically get one like Kathy.  It would hold lots of hypothetical tomatoes.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4554218 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

[quote user="growingranny_va_z7"] and give “her” plenty of room for growing lots of vegetable and flower plants.[/quote]

Molly has a point which I didn’t think of till later.    Does this hypothetical friend’s name start with a “G”?   If you are into gardening & starting seeds then one like Kathy’s is ideal.  I just don’t have the room for it.  Hypothetical or otherwise.  LOL

#4554221 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Lol, this has turned into a funny post. Now if I had the room I would have one the size of Molly’s and if I had the room and money I would have one like Lair’s, lol…..Kathy

Kathy zone4

#4554222 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Speaking Hypothetically Kathy I would have one like Lair’s attached to my house too.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4554223 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Okay if I really need to tell the truth, If I was very rich I would have one the size of Molly’s, built like Lair’s, lol…..Kathy

Kathy zone4

#4554234 Report Abuse

brb4y
    Participant

We bought one of those ‘kits’ some years ago. Is a 6′ x 8′  barn shaped. Directions said it would take 4 – 6 hours to put together. Hmmmm….First, not all the parts were in the box. 2nd, not all the parts fit quite together right. 3rd, it took us 4 months and 100′s of hours to put it all together. Top vent windows blew off into the neighbor’s field in the first storm. Had to be reinforced numerous times and now are unusable. Door blew off last year. Sis in law made a new one that lasted thru the winter but blew away this spring. It’s full of holes since the aluminum is not strong enuf and keeps giving way. Never again to buy a ‘kit’.

This year we’re building our own out of pressure treated lumber and doubled 8mm polycarbonate. 8′ x 12′, with benches, vent fan, screened windows and a dutch door with screened window on top. Will finish it today. Will post a pic on my blog I hope tomorrow since I can’t seem to get pics on here. Total cost will be a bit more than the original house but the corner posts are set in cement and the structure is sound. That stuff won’t blow away.

Brenda

#4554277 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

[quote user="cove2700"] Does this hypothetical friend’s name start with a “G”?[/quote]

Hypohtetical speaking she does. Her name is Garyanna! That is a good name. Don’t you think?

#4558112 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Gary, my GH goes up in Oct (not a permanent one), thre plants I want to overwinter go in as soon as it gets too cold for them outside.  Then the seedlings go in when I get them started & by April it is usually empty & ready to take down till the following year.  I do leave the frame up year round.

In Use, I think this was this Spring after I had already removed some of the bigger plants I was over-wintering.

Frame in place

Last year

And this year

#4558024 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

[quote user="ah64a"]

When do you move your plants into the GH?

[/quote]

I move mine in during the month of October, before the first frost.  I move them back out again in April and first part of May.  Lair (the rich one, where do you get the idea I’m rich?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.