WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 6,194 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by WoodlandGal WoodlandGal 12 hours, 55 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,656 through 5,670 (of 6,195 total)
  • Author

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 69 degrees, it’s 91 partly cloudy degrees now. I Filled up our ’97 Dakota this morning, regular was $3.31. I stopped and got a container of wigglers in case I decide to go fishing one of these mornings. I Cut some small limbs from a tree at the waters edge, now people can fish from the bank at that spot at the fishing point, I sat there thirty minutes watching the water flowing :-)

I mowed around where we park and behind the house, Joyce won’t get her feet wet and the dogs won’t get wet when they do their business in the shorter grass. I really need to do some of our hiking trails, they’ll have to wait.

Marnee….Most of the CS’s are singles and go from white to red, we had never seen one like this fancy one going from pink to dark pink. We got five little leafed cuttings  at the church market three years ago, they surprised us with the first flower that opened :lol:   The seven cuttings that I made  all have leaves, they’re looking good. I take the handles off of  old frying pans and pots and use them for saucers or flower pots.

Marilyn…..I never play computer games :-) We don’t pay attention to birthdays or anniversaries, we do “note” the number reached though :wink: Marg posted one photo the other day of her front entrance. She posted her address one day, I looked it up on Google and Bing and took a complete tour of her house inside and out…..that could be a bad thing in the hands of some people…..she removed the address from her post.

Marg….There’s something tropical brewing down in the open ocean, I’ll be watching it :shock:

Terry

#5276002 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Nice start to the day has ended in the muggies & rain!  Temps in the mid 80s.  Rain tomorrow, too!

Marilyn, love the peacocks & hummers!

Mm, great pics of your fine feathered friends!  Nice one of the flicker!

Pat, you should have kept your birdbath!  Summer is over for you now!

Terry, yeah, heard about the tropical activity!

Hi Hiker!  Hi Posy!  Hi Karmen!

Hi to Janis, Tina & those who havent posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS,

Another pic from the dahlia garden!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by margba margba.
    #5276030 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started at 63° and mostly cloudy this morning and it’s now 79°. We’re supposed to have cooler than normal summer afternoons for the rest of the week.

I’m really late posting today, been doing another spring cleaning. Want to get it all done before my niece and her family get here next week.

Marg, guess I missed the tour of your home; I’m sure it’s lovely. Beautiful picture from the dahlia garden; I like that stone wall.

Hi Marilyn!

Terry, you’re making good use of old frying pans. I left the handle on the one I use for water for the birds as it makes it easy to handle when the weather turns cold.

Have a great evening everyone.

#5276041 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi To ALL WBs!   We were at 61 this morning and got to 79 with humidity starting to move in.  The next few days will be in the 80s and tropical……….I can’t stand high humidity so will be hibernating in the AC and the lawn can keep on a-growing.  lol!

We had a birthday party here for our DGS today…..he turned 7.   Some of DIL’s relatives were here and I ended up giving them my dog GiGi.  She needs a fenced yard to run in which they have, and they lost their last dog from old age a few months ago.  I know she will have a good home with them,  Now I will be looking for a quieter dog to go on walks with.

Marilyn,  pretty pics from Janis!  I never thought of them as peahens….just peacocks.  lol!

Marnee,  neat pics of your bird bath and frying pan!  I love the Flicker!  I rarely see them here and never at the feeders or bird  bath.

Marg,  beautiful pic of the stone fence and garden!  No, summer is not over here yet.  This week we are to get our second 90 degree day of the summer along with high humidity….ugh!

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5276053 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there!Day got off to a bad start. Lingering rain from over night and just did not look ver promising. Never thought it would get to 80ºbut I was totally wrong. Day ended with lots of sunshine and did have a little shower and lots of humidity.

Marnee,Thanks, I missed your post yesterday.I got called to the phone Sounds like a good watering hole for the birds.biggrin

Terry, I did see that one picture but thought maybe I missed the inside.I missed the address too but can get that from Sharon. I never thought what you did. Pretty cool!…I’ll have to google that rose of yours, it sounds so pretty.smile

Marg, That wall and the flowers are gorgeous.cool

Pat, I never thought of the word “peahens” either. They were all “peacocks” to me. That’s why I thought they might be new ones.question

Here’s another couple “peahens.”

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5276187 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 70 degrees, it’s 85 partly cloudy degrees now. I watered our flowers and vegetable plants this morning. I moved two hanging Vincia baskets to under a large holly tree, the two I had put under the tree were doing  much better there so I moved the last two. They’re “full sun” plants but not here in our bright Florida sun :lol: I used hedge trimmers to trim around the block stand that our heat pump’s on, it looks nicer now.

There were five hummingbirds fighting around the front feeder but none around the back feeder, those little birds are so mean and not very smart.

Marnee…..So many pots and pans are bright colors, they look good inside or outside. I have one large stainless boiler that has brass handles, I didn’t take them off, they look nice on the pot.

Marilyn……Our first CS flower  lasted just one day, the past two years they would stay open for a few days.

Marg….I like that stone wall, our “ironstone”  is flat like that but it’s not plentiful enough to build walls, just edge some small flower beds.

Terry

#5276242 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, the weather this morning was a little like fall with temperatures starting in the 50s and 40s in some of the outlying areas. It’s now 75° with sunshine and it’s shaping up to be a pretty nice day. Daytime highs are expected to top off in the mid to upper 70s.

Terry, I have to disagree with you Hummingbirds are extremely smart. A hummingbird’s brain is larger in comparison to body size than any other bird. They know every flower they have ever visited and how long it will take for each flower to refill. They remember year to year, where each and every hummingbird feeder is, both at home and along their migratory route.

That said do I sometimes wish they would share yes, however they are instinctively territorial. They have to in order to survive in the world. Hummers have no concept of “sharing” and they do not recognize a feeder as an inexhaustible food supply that can be shared. Besides, it is not inexhaustible. A forgetful person may not refill the feeder often enough and they do run dry.

Marilyn, wow that white bird is beautiful; I also thought the blue ones were beautiful but the white are especially beautiful. I also didn’t think of them as peahens.

Pat, sometimes I will see more than one Flicker in the yard. They are really a good size bird.

Have a great day everyone.

#5276244 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Marnee…..What you described isn’t being smart, wild animals most all have genetic instincts that don’t have to be learned, it’s in their genes :-) Weaver birds hatched in a lab  can build their nest without ever seeing one in the wild or ever seeing a adult Weaver, it’s instinctive.

We just watched a special on learning and reasoning abilities of different parrots, crows, ravens and other wild birds on PBS. They had a Cockatoo that took a complex locking device apart, the bird had never seen it before. To test the reasoning ability the researcher took one of the steps from the device, the bird skipped the step from before and unlocked the seed door by skipping to the last step that would allow it  to unlock the seed door. I had to drill holes in our Cockatoos doors and put locks on all of them. All of the above birds can use tools and figure out how to solve problems. Our bird will ask for different kinds of treats without us prompting her, she’s behind a closed door and can tell what we’re eating :lol:

Terry

#5276317 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  I woke up this morning to a t=storm just about daylight.  We were at 61 degrees and got to 79.  It only rained for a couple of hours, but we got 7/10ths inch of rain.  It was mostly cloudy and  humid with hardly a breeze.

Marilyn,  pretty pics of the peahens from Janis!

Marnee,  Hummers never increase in their numbers here even though other birds do.  I have three feeders out and only saw one adult male today.  That makes me think they are territorial, but I have seen dozens of them together at feeders at the Ice Age Trail visitor’s center.  Maybe we will go there again this fall and I can get a pic.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5276347 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Pat, I would love to see pictures from that visitor’s center.

Terry, I also saw a show on PBS on the reasoning abilities of crows and it was really interesting. I wasn’t saying other birds were not intelligent. My point was that Hummingbirds were just defending their territory.  It may seem mean to us at times and yes I have yelled at them from time to time to share. However, I remind myself that they are the way there are because that is the way God created them.

#5276434 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Warming up some around here!   Temps in the mid to upper 80s this wkend plus storms!   A backdoor front from the east is coming in.  It is not a very common weather event where cooler weather comes in off the ocean, usually creating messy weather for us!

Marilyn, love the peacocks!

Mm, good pics of your hummers on Sharon’s post!

Pat, would also like to see those hummers at the visitors ctr there!  The stone walls at the dahlia garden are really raised beds madd out if stone!  I will try to find a pic that shows this better!

Terry, any news on the tropical front?

Hi Hiker! Hi Posy!  Hi Karmen!

Hi to Janis & all who have not posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5276435 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

I am not sureb if this pic shows the stone raised beds better or not!  Was hard to get the raised bed picw/ my cp!  Argh!  Now why did the same pic as above get posted here?

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by margba margba.
    #5276455 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 75 humid degrees, it’s 88 sunny degrees now. I drove over and put some more corn out for the critters, I couldn’t see any sign of deer licking our salt block. I sat at the fishing point for a hour, there was a abundance of insects moving about on the waters surface, different kinds of fish were striking at them. I didn’t feel like walking 600′ to get my fly rod to try my luck, lazy me :lol: A 3′ long sucker fish spent five minutes swimming around in shallow water ten feet away from me, that was interesting.  Sweet gum trees are dropping leaves, they were floating in the bayou.Two of our disciple lily buds opened this morning, I moved them here from MIL’s property a few years ago.

Our AC man was to come this morning to do the six moth service on our heat pump, he called at 4:15 PM yesterday to see if he could come out then, he was gone by 5:30 PM……everything checked out fine :-)

Marg…..The tropical system close to Puerto Rico might not form, if it does they say it will head north, way off the Atlantic coast :-)

Terry

#5276477 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started at 61 degrees with overcast skies and 81% humidity it’s still only 65°. However, the humidity has gone down to 75%. This afternoon we are supposed to have mostly sunny skies and our high temperatures are expected to be in the upper 70s and low 80s

Marg, the raised stone raised beds make a really attractive flower bed.

Have a great day everyone.

#5276487 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

This Iis the pic I was trying to post earlier!

Viewing 15 posts - 5,656 through 5,670 (of 6,195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.