WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,934 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by mmarnee mmarnee 3 hours, 33 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,626 through 5,640 (of 5,935 total)
  • Author
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 52 and got to 78 today, sunny and a little breeze.  It is beginning to look and feel like fall with the sun’s angle and tonight we are to go into the 40 s.

Marnee,  I’m sorry those Rufous are so aggressive.  When they leave, the Anna’s will know where to come back to.

Marg,  I’m glad you can post pics now.  That looks like a pretty place to live!

I had a pic to post, but can’t get logged in to PB for some reason.  Will try later.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5273825 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Pat, I love the Rufous and will miss them when they are gone. I can’t blame the bird it’s the way they were created. I sometimes wish they could understand that I have enough feeders for many hummers; but I guess in nature that is not always the case. Hummingbirds are extremely smart.

#5273960 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, You must have posted after I left last night Pat.We started out in the 50s and did rise into the low 70s. Looked real dreary this morning in fact we actually had rain early but did clear up and sun was actually shining this afternoon.

Pat, Your hummer count is about like mine.At the most I have seen 2.Happy smileys

Hi Marnee! Yea, it would be nice to have that many hummers but would mean a lot of work keeping them cleaned & ready.Happy smileys

Marg, Too bad I’m not closer I can see myself sitting on the deck with a cup of coffee. It’s lovely.Happy smileysGlad you like your tv service. We are still thinking about it.

photo 123.gif

#5274043 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 67 cool degrees, it’s 76 sunny degrees now. We had 4.5″ of rain on Tuesday, 3.8″ of it was in a hour and forty minutes. I went out this morning and shoveled mulch and dirt on our driveway berms, I won’t bother with some ruts on the hill road until later, that was some heavy rains :!:

Our  ’97 Dakota sure rides a lot better with new shocks, I had to take it back yesterday for the AC but how that’s working right. DW took GS and DD to his school orientation this morning, it last until 11:00AM, they’ll get to meet his new teacher. I watched three baby ‘coons eating corn across the creek yesterday, they were cute :-)

Marnee….We’re having fun with our GS, he stays on DW’s heels and plays on his Kindle Fire most of the time. I have to fill both of our hummingbird feeders this morning.

Marilyn…..Ninety degree temperatures are normal for us here in FL, I don’t work in direct sunlight and I always wear a hat. We’ll be waiting for the college football season, time to see how FSU does this season.

Marg….We sit back and watch the hurricane seasons, it only takes one of them to mess things up.

Terry

#5274100 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started with temps in the lower 60s and it’s now 74°. It’s mostly cloudy with sun breaks from time to time. Our daytime highs are expected to look pretty similar to yesterdays upper 70s and lower 80s.

Marilyn, good pictures again from Janis; the hummers are fun to watch. Usually we don’t get that much hot or cold weather and often our temps stay below 75° so I only have to clean and fill the feeders about once a week. It’s only been the last couple of weeks that I have had to do clean and change the food more often.

Terry, we don’t see that many 90 degree days; I believe the record number of 90° temps for the summer is something like 16 days.

Hi to all yet to post.

Have a great day everyone.

#5274202 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, It was down in the 50s this morning but did make it into the mid 70s. 80s with the humidity is expected for next week. Have had enough rain for a while.

Terry, I do remember that you & Joyce are waiting for the college games to start.

Hi Marnee!

From Janis!

photo 123.gif

#5274214 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi to ALL WBs!   We were at 47 for a low this morning and got to 76, sunny and comfortable, but humidity is moving in for the weekend.
    In central WI where there are low valleys, Black River Falls got down to 39 this morning.

Marilyn,  pretty Hummer and peacock pics from Janis!

PB is still acting up for me, but I think I got the pic I wanted to post now.  This is a new wildflower for me that I found while looking at the Eau Claire river for kayaking.  It grows in sandy soil along the roadways.
    It is called wild Liatris or Gayfeathers and some other name.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5274376 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, Happy Friday! This morning we have plenty of clouds sticking around. However, the clouds are expected to move out later today leading to at least partly sunny skies and warmer temps. We started with temps in the mid 60s and it’s now 70 degrees and today highs are expected to be in the lower 80s. The Humidity is at 75% and it feels muggy out there.

Marilyn, that is a really pretty Hummer and Peacocks photo from Janis; cute how the Peacocks lined up.

Pat, your wild Liatris is beautiful; I believe it’s also called blazing star and would look lovely in flower bouquets.

Marg, have you posted any more pictures of your new home?

Terry, glad you’re having a good time with your GS; amazing how great kids are using Kindle Fire, computers; and I phones. We didn’t have anything like that when I was growing up.

#5274419 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

<b>Hi WWBs!  Beautiful weather right now!  Low humidity, temps in the low 80s, brilliant blue skies, chilly at night, temps in the mid 40s at night!  Even too chilly to open windows at night!  LOL!</b>

Mm, love your bird pics & glad you get the rufous, and annas!

Marilyn, nice hummer pics & love the peacocks & herons there!

Pat, is it cool out your way at night?

Terry, sounds like you are getting nice weather right now down there!

Hi Posy!  Hi Hiker!

Hi to Janis, Tina, Karmen, MaryAnn & all those who have not posted in here for a while!  LATER, GATORS!

Went to a beautiful dahlia garden here in Elizabethtown yesterday.  It is a not for profit place that aids children who are orphaned by tragic circumstances such as war, a tragic accident, other perils.

#5274481 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Had a great day here but on the cool side. Started out with 44º this morning and got to 68º Radio said 71º but we didn’t make that. Was nice and sunny but is to go down in the 40s again tonight. Next week is to get to 80º but I don’t know when.

Pat, I missed you again last night too Pat.Is that 39º near you. That is getting downright COLD. It is to rain here Sunday. UGH I am so NOT ready for this any more than anyone else is. Just plain old WEIRD for Aug. That is just a gorgeous flower and love the color.Cool smileys

Hi Marnee!

Terry, Hope you are both having a good time with your GS.

Hi Marg! Yeah, I have all the windows shut at night……..Beautiful flowers.Cool smileys

These are just a couple cats from that nature site that I have used.

photo 123.gif

#5274482 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  It was 52 here this morning and got to 80 degrees.  The humidity level was in the sticky range.

Marnee,  Yes…that was it…..Blazing Star.

Marg,  A beautiful pic of the Dahlia garden!   The nights have been cool here.  Central WI got down to 39  a couple of nights ago.

Have a good day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5274639 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Hi there!  It was 42 degrees at my house this morning.  Guess I will have to close the windows if it stays like this.  My furnace kicked on once I heard early this morning.  I was up at 6:30 AM to have my coffee and watch the TV news/weather.  Should be near 70 today, but could be breezy and rain for tonight forecast.  Maybe it won’t reach us and stay north of us.

It is to warm up to 70′s-80 next week.  It looks and acts like Fall on its way and a tinge of color on the viburnum bush and the young burning bush I have, too.  Had a ton of birds at feeder when I filled it this morning.  Jays, mourning doves and the pesky grackles showed up today.  They were scarce for a few days but back now.  I am hoping they find the corn fields and visit those soon where the corn has been picked.

I did see on news where the vineyards were damaged by last winter’s cold and so fewer grapes this year in the wine country of New York State.  That will hurt those that raise the grapes and make the wine.

I have Liatris in my flower beds.  I have the purple and the white.  Some are old and dieing out and some others have come up in places where I didn’t plant them.  But I like them and move them to other areas myself if they get too crowded.  Mine I planted are from some I ordered from nursery a long time ago.   Time to begin cutting a few straggily plants back and dead head many of them.  The deer ate my hostas and some lilies this summer; they wander into the yards even in the summer here at night.  Something ate the top of all my sedum plants off….deer or rabbits.  I have a woodchuck I saw go under the shed the other day.  I think it appeared from someone else’s junk pile when they were cleaning it out and they rousted him.  Now I hope it  will leave here soon.   We have chippies and squirrels in the trees/roof and trying to get to the bird feeders, too.

Our end of the road is newly blacktopped this year; that is a first in 45 years and well deserved.   The end neighbor on our road got after the village and told them it was about time to consider us instead of the ritsy end of Main St. as done yearly in the past.  Am glad he got on their case.  In his working years he was prominent in the grocery business here in the village so he is well known.  They are also fixing a storm drain on part of his property, too, for better drainage from the hill that has many springs in it.

Hope everyone is having a good August weather-wise.  Nobody needs any bad storms to contend with.

#5274687 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started at 64° with clouds and it’s now almost 70° with mostly sunny skies. Temperatures are expected to climb into the low to middle 80s; that’s near perfect for this time of the year.

Happy Birthday Marilyn! Enjoy your special day.

Photo

Marilyn, those cats are really beautiful; especially the one in the first picture. This weekend we are feeding one of my niece’s cats and watering their flowers.

Marg, the Dahlias in that garden are beautiful. The annual Dahlia Festival here starts the last weekend of August and the first weekend of September. My niece should be here then so hopefully we will be able to take her to the festival.

Hi Pat!

Hi Terry!

Posy, it’s starting to look a little like fall here also. The leaves on the horse chestnut trees on the blvd by my place are starting to turn an ugly shade of brown. It’s getting darker earlier each evening; last night it was dark by 8:30 p.m.

#5274705 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi to ALL WBs!  we started out at 60 and are getting to 85 muggy degrees today with hardly any wind and mostly cloudy.  There are scattered showers about, but not here.

I am starting to see a little fall color here too, esp. in the Sumacs.

Marilyn,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!  I forgot to answer your question about that 39 degree temp in central WI.  I am about 100 miles NW of there, but they are always known for their low temps.
    I love those long-haired cats!  I always wanted a long-haired Siamese colored one, but now I can’t have a house cat with my allergies.  We had alot of long-haired barn cats on the farm.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5274717 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Just absolutely beautiful weather here of late.  Been in the upper 30s to mid 40s here at night, and lovely temps in the low 80s in the daytime but it might warm up & be rainy off & on all this coming week, sad to say!  Marilyn, I also wish you lived closer to me to enjoy a cup of coffee on my back porch, which I want to screen in, maybe even winterize it!

Marilyn, cute hummers & kitties!  HAPPY BIRTHDAY,

Mm, cute bday greeting for Marilyn!

Pat, sounds like our weather is similar in temps!  Like that wildflower!

Hi Terry!  I guess kids are going back very soon!

Hi Posy!  Glad you have been getting some nice flowers up there to enjoy!

Hi Hiker,  Hi Karmen!

Hi to Janis, Tina, MaryAnn/birdbug & all who havent posted in a while here!  LATER, GATORS!

Here is one of my container flowering trumpet plants.  Cant remember just what it is…..dipth something or other!  Lol!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by margba margba.
Viewing 15 posts - 5,626 through 5,640 (of 5,935 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.