WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 6,201 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by 4mybackyardpa5 4mybackyardpa5 13 hours, 58 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,611 through 5,625 (of 6,202 total)
  • Author
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Been absolutely gorgeous weather here about all week!  Temps in the low 80s, no rainfall!  We were predicted to get some rain last week a couple of times but it didnt pan out! It will get rainy here this coming wk about mid week.  Yeah, I think I did getva good deal w/ directv!  Dont forget if any of you guys switch to them, if I refer you, you get all these discounts & the $100 off next bill!  Same w/ you, Pat or anyone here!  Dont have to be a next door neighbor!  Pat, I am sorry you have been unhappy w/ verizon.  I am not real happy w/ at&t.  I think a lot of ppl are going w/ Boost & USCellular these days.  Always a bit scarey to go w/ someone new!

Marilyn, love the pics!

Mm, enjoy your hummer pics!  There ARE hummers around here! Yaaay!

Terry, any active systems down there?

Hi Posy!  Hi Hiker!  Hi Karmen!

Hi to Janis, Tina & those who have not posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5272463 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Hi there!  We have 78 degrees, sun and a nice breeze.  Just a beautiful day and has been like that for quite a few days now.  Same for tomorrow and then Tues/Weds. could have rain, how much I don’t know….hit and miss, likely.

Been weeding and digging some weeds out that are too hard to pull.  More to do in the other flower beds, too.  Just work on that as I can get to them and prefer morning weeding before it gets too hot and after supper when it is cooler.  I spray the homemade weed killer along the path on side of house and that helps with the weeding.  When I had the pine needle path no weeds grew there, but with the spruce trees gone all kinds of weeds come along including Creeping Charlie.  And, the sun is there now, too. Really need to put in some tall forsythia to block some of that.  My hostas and cone flowers are getting too much sun because when they wre planted it was all shade.  So they need to be moved elsewhere but the deer did a job on some hostas in the back garden near the fence line, too, and ate the flowers off the other ones.  They have been after everything this year even spring/summer.

Hope all are having a good day and not getting bad storms either.

Hello to you all!  Time to get some potatoes cooked to go with the turkey breast in the roaster.  Keeping it a simple meal by adding a veggie.

#5272470 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started with temps in the mid 60s and it’s now 89° with sunny skies and temperatures are climbing. A heat advisory is in place through Monday night as temperatures climb back into the 90s. They tell us the Metro area could see 100 degree temperatures Monday.
    Tonight is supposed to be a Super moon: it’s supposed to rise in the Pacific NW this evening around 8:12 p.m. The moon will appear larger and brighter due to its proximity to earth. Just wish I could get a better picture of the moon with my camera.

On the way home from church this morning I stopped at a couple stores. First for some birthday and wedding cards then the grocery store for a few things I didn’t have on the list the other day.

Once home I cleaned all the hummingbird feeders and made some fresh nectar for them; with all this hot weather I have to watch the temperature for how often I need to change their food. Have been changing the water in the birdbath every day and fill their sunflower feeder.

It’s too hot to have the oven on so I have some cabbage rolls in the crock pot for tonight’s dinner.

Hi Marilyn, hope all is well with you!

HI Pat, glad you liked the roses.

Marg, glad you also have some hummers.

Hi Posy, sounds like you have been really busy working in the yard. Most of my lawn has turned brown but the hot weather didn’t bother the weeds.

Have a great day everyone.

#5272509 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Had a beautiful day here but it did get humid and rise to 83º so had to turn the a/c on. Not a bit of rain [really wouldn't mind some].Supposed to be cooler all week long and did hear something about rain about midweek.

Hi Marg!

Hi Posy! Turkey sounds good. Have to get a piece, haven’t had any for a while!Cooking mini graphics

Marnee, Things were just not working right, so rather than complain I just shut down and last night we had company and did watch preseason Football! There are just so many newbies trying out for  the team, I don’t know who’s who anymore! Of course a lot of these guys will not make the team.smile

From Janis!

photo signature_1 2.gif

#5272632 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone. We started off hot at 70° this morning. Today we’re supposed to have temps in the upper 90s and lower 100s! We do have some cloud cover with sunshine this morning and our forecast says we should see more of the same this afternoon with partly sunny skies and an increasing change of thunderstorms late in the day.

I finally was able to get a photo of the moon last night with my camera; normally I can’t get a good picture when it’s dark outside. I was really happy as last night it was a Super Moon. I noticed here it did look a little orange and later on the news they said the color was because of all the wildfires around here.

Marilyn, good pictures from Janis of the hummers… I understand what it’s like when things don’t work out right. Last night I just gave up trying to post and this morning things were back to normal.

#5272779 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!   It was 51 degrees here this morning, raining and rained until noon…..a good steady downpour with no storms!   We got over an inch!  Yay!  It stayed cool and partly cloudy this afternoon getting to 70.  Now it is windy and feels so good outside.
    It will be getting hotter and more humid this week though.

Marilyn,  Pretty pics of Janis’ hummers!  I didn’t see a single hummer here today.  :(

Marnee,  awesome pic of the Super Moon!   It was cloudy here just like it was last time it appeared.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5272816 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Tis raining at the moment but no storm so hope I am safe. Did rain most of the day on & off but we did need it so won’t complain.’Tis on the cool side and last I heard it was 68º and didn’t look at our own temp.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-014

Marnee, That 100º even sounds unbearable…. That is a great shot of the moon!tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-031

Pat,Glad you got the rain you were hoping for. It is pouring here at the moment with no storms and sounds a lot like your weather, except ours is to be cool all week, unless I heard it wrong which is a strong possibility.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-032

Here are a couple from Janis. She said these are some of her favorites.

photo signature_1 2.gif

#5272959 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Rain, rain, go away! Getting lots of rain today!   Started overnight.  To be heavy at times & maybe strong tstorms at some point today!  Maybe 3-5″ & we dont really need it as we have a surplus of over 5″ of rainfall to date!  Just a yucky day nere today.  Temps only in the 70′s to 80′s!

Marilyn, gr eat pics of the hummers from Janis!

Mm, good moon pic!  Sounds warmer & drier than normal your way!Sorry about all the wild fires! Is your brother’s property in any danger?

Pat, glad you got the rain!  We are getting more than we need today!

Hi Posy!  Hi Hiker!  Hi Terry!

Hi to Janis, Tina, Karmen & all who have not posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5272977 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 71 degrees, it’s 84 overcast degrees now.  We had 1 1/4″ of rain in a hour Saturday, we needed some rain. The mulch I put on the hill road kept the asphalt from washing, our driveway berm held up with the mulch slowing the water down. We enjoyed a creek walk, fed the fish and turtles.

Our GS is staying with us during the day this week, his dad’s having to get the classes ready for his students. I went and bought a 50 lb salt block yesterday and put it and some corn across the creek, maybe we’ll see some critters feeding on corn  and licking the block this week. I noticed the AC in our ’97 Dakota wasn’t cooling  right in the 92 degree heat, we knew it had a freon leak. We dropped it off at the shop for a expensive fix this morning, I’m also having front and rear shocks put on the truck while it’s there.

Marg…..The “wave” that’s off the African coast seems to be breaking up this morning, another one will be right behind it.

Marnee……That’s a great moon shot, I was able to look at the moon yesterday and this morning :-) Joyce started the meat and hard vegetables in her crock pot yesterday and finished it in a pot after she took our GS home. It was great, nothing wrong with a big pot of vegetable beef soup on a 92 degree day :grin:

Marilyn….We caught the last of the Saints game….good for them :-) I checked, Big Bang Theory(9-22), NCIS and NCIS New Orleans(9-23) and Survivor(9-24)  all start on those nights in September :-) We’re ready for those shows and some football.

Terry

#5273101 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started at 70° with clouds and sunshine this morning; it then warmed up to 81° before it dropped back to 77° and it’s now raining. After yesterday’s 95° at my home and 99° downtown Portland today’s temps are welcome.

Marg, I believe one of the wildfires is about 75 miles away from my brothers. I saw on the news today lighting has ignited 51 new wildfires in Oregon, and storms are forecast to continue through Wednesday.

Marilyn, those are good pictures of the hummers from Janis, she really has a lot of hummers around her place. I thought the Rufous hummers had left here but I still saw some last night and this morning.

Pat, thanks I was really happy to get a picture of the supermoon with my camera usually it doesn’t take good pictures at night.

Terry, enjoy the time with your GS this week. I was happy we had mostly clear skies so I could get the picture of the moon. The moon here looks a little orange/red and they said on the news the reason for us seeing those colors was because of all the wildfires around the state. Last night it was so cloudy we didn’t see anything.

Hi to all yet to post.

#5273116 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Had enough rain for a while now! Lots of rain but thank goodness no storms.Had a severe storm watch out this afternoon but it went south of us, into Pittsburgh.

Marg, Hope you didn’t get the storms either. Did find someone to help with those pictures? Anxious to see them.Coffee smileys

Terry,That 90º temp must be unbearable in that heat…Yes the STEELERS lost their 1st game but yes, I am ready for some football! They have so many new young guys, I suppose it is the first time some of those guys ever stepped a foot on a NFL field.Coffee smileys

Marnee, Hope the fire stays away from your brother’s house……………..Glad you still have your Rufous hummers.Coffee smileys

From Janis,

photo signature_1 2.gif

#5273142 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!   We started out at 53 and got to 72 today with mostly sunny skies and a nice breeze.

Marilyn,  beautiful pics of Janis’ Hummers!  I saw one male Hummer today.  For some reason the Orioles are taking over the Hummer feeders, even though they have their own with the same nectar in it.  There are alot of flowers now for the Hummers at least.  I have upped their nectar ratio a little, but not all the way to 3:1 yet.

Marnee,  I hope it rains enough, without lightning, to slow or stop the wildfires and your brother’s home will be safe.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5273342 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started out at a gloomy 62° and it’s now only 67°. It looks like it rained overnight and our forecast is for cooler weather with an ongoing chance of thunderstorms this afternoon. Daytime highs are expected to be in the mid 70s.

Marilyn, for some reason this morning I didn’t see a lot of the birds I normally see. There were only a couple Hummingbirds and a couple sparrows; normally in cooler weather there are all kinds of birds. Good pictures again from Janis, It looks like she has a full time job keeping those feeders full for the hummers.

Pat, I would love to see an Oriole in my backyard; a bird shop in the area told me they are not common in our area and if I hadn’t seen any so far I most likely wouldn’t.

Hi to all yet to post; Have a great day everyone.

#5273348 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  A beautiful day here today after some awful rain storms all day & all night yesterday!  Some areas inb the midAtlantic got over 7″ of rain all in a 24 hr pd!  Yikes!  Glad that wasnt us because it of course, resulted in flooding!  The 3-5″ we got over a longer pd of time was enough!  Glad we didnt get so much flooding although I know it flooded in some areas in Lancaster Co!

Mm, love the pics of your hummers!  Sorry you arent seeing as many.  Maybe the wild fires have something to do w/ it or more folks putting out hb feeders closeby you!  Btw, I did finally figurd out how to get my iphone pics over to PB!  Now that I know, not so hard & I figured it out all by myself!  Lol!  Mostly its been tricky cuz of using a tablet.  But eazypeazy now! Will post a pic of my new home shortly!.

Marilyn, great pics of Janis’ s hummers!  Also been pleased w/  my new Directv svc as in sll that heavy rain we got in the past 2 days, never once lost my satellite signal!  Lol!  Sometimes its good to switch svcs just to get the new upgrades & new equip!

Pat, glad you got some rain!

Terry, hoping we escape from hurricanes this yr!

Hi Posy!  Hi Hiker!  Hi Karmen!

Hi to Janis, Tina & all who have not posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5273399 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Marg, enjoy your new home it looks lovely.

It was just early this morning that I didn’t see lots of birds. Only saw a couple hummers then but this afternoon there were lots of them in the  yard. I thought the Rufous had gone but they are still here. I just came in from watching them all around the backyard. The Rufous are guarding the feeders and making life miserable for my poor Anna’s by tirelessly chasing them away from the feeders.

I tried to get a couple photos of the Rufous making itself at home on the patio, however the patio is in the shade so the pictures didn’t turn out. This is the longest period of time they have visited my backyard and as much as I enjoy seeing them my Anna’s don’t.

They are the feistiest hummingbird in North America; amazing as they are only about half the size of the Anna’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,611 through 5,625 (of 6,202 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.