WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,935 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by 4mybackyardpa5 4mybackyardpa5 10 hours, 15 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,581 through 5,595 (of 5,936 total)
  • Author

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Hello there!  Today it was near 80 and muggy even with a breeze.  The sun was warm and tonight the sunset was pretty yellow/pink against a dark gray sky.  I saw the moon, too, and it wasn’t dark yet.  I went out a bit later and saw lightning once, but no thunder.  We are suppose to get rain tonight or tomorrow.  I watered some flowers today as it was so dry.

Sometimes here people burn early evening and the smell carries my way and then have to close sun room sliders and windows it is such a strong smell.  Not sure if it is garbage or lawn debris, but one person that is doing it lives in the village and there is no burning allowed.  The one neighbor that lives near him asked him not to do it and he said it isn’t blowing your way.  Well, she said it does, so she hasn’t reported him yet but I am sure it will come to that.  The guy knows better being in the village; he is also our car insurance, etc., guy.  He should know better but too cheap to pay someone to haul it away or throw it across the road from him along the railroad tracks as others do.  What is wrong with people anyway?  Maybe he should be cited for it and fined; I bet that would work.  Usually hitting them in pocketbook makes an impression or should.  So several people have the wood fires in the pits or whatever they are and it stinks the neighborhoods up.

Hi to all that post here.  How are your gardens doing?  and, flowerbeds, too?

Time is sure going fast.  I did see a storm brewing on TV weather channel called Bertha along Atlantic coast.

#5270072 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi WBs!  It was 6o here this morning and going to 84 degrees.  It is sunny and hazy again.  The humidity seems to be dropping today and there is hardly a breeze again.

I have picked enough green beans now for a meal and my cukes are almost 2 inches long.  All my plants came up this year so I will be making refrigerator pickles.

I was battling blossom end rot on my tomatoes, but think I have that under control now.  Last evening when I was watering I saw the signs of late blight on one plant so had to spray them all.  Only one tomato is beginning to ripen so far.

Have a good day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5270080 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started with temps in the 60s and it’s warmed up to 86° with sunny skies. Today’s highs are expected to be around 88° then again yesterday’s highs were only expected to be upper 80s and we reached the 90s.

Marilyn, those are good pictures again from Janis. Pretty RB Woodpecker; the only ones I see in my yard are the Downy and the Northern Flickers. I don’t care for humid weather either.

Pat, sorry about the haze from wildfires, seems to be so many wildfires these days. I just read that lightning sparked new wildfires in Southern Oregon. It was scary the number of lightning strikes recorded in NW Oregon & SW Washington overnight Thursday into Friday.

We got two fresh zucchini from my nephew’s garden and they have been wonderful. Then we bought some cucumbers and tomatoes from the farmers market and will need to make another trip to that market

Terry, we did call customer service on the pellet grill and they were helpful gave us some tips on using the grill and advise the hours they were open 7 days a week if had any questions we could call them. Used the grill again last night and it worked great! Grilled some chicken and some zucchini to go along with a cucumber and tomato salad and it everything tasted delicious.

Hi Posy, I surprised someone living in the village would burn when no burning is allowed; would think they would be worried about starting a fire.

Some pictures of the rufous hummingbird that visited my backyard yesterday.

Have a great day everyone.

#5270128 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Had a decent day. Got up in the 70s but finally did have a little rain and the temp and humidity dropped. Not much thunder & lightening just the rain.

Pat, That is a shame about your tomatoes.

Marnee, They are a tinier Hummer aren’t they? They are still cute, all of them.

Couple more from Janis.

photo 123.gif

#5270289 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started at 62° this morning and it was a little on the chilly side. It’s already 79° and sunny. They tell us the summer sizzle will continue the next couple of days with highs near 90 degrees. We are supposed to cool down later in the week.

I really can’t complain the weather has been some good sleeping weather with a nice cool morning. I enjoyed my morning coffee on the patio and was able to see some Rufous Hummingbirds again this morning.

Marilyn, love the hummer pictures from Janis. Your right the Rufous hummers are smaller than My Anna’s. Usually I can see the Anna’s when they perch in a nearby tree; it’s much harder to see the Rufous in that same tree.

We went to the farmers market again this morning. I bought a few peaches, more cucumbers, kohlrabi, radishes, tomatoes, also bought some corn on the cob and some Black Raspberry Jelly. That market is really an interesting place to visit.

Hope everyone has a great day.

#5270334 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  It was 61 this morning and got to 82, with hazy sun again, the humidity was lower…..almost comfortable.  Not much breeze though.

Scattered T-showers are passing through again this afternoon, but not over us.

We decided to go kayaking today to the state park with two rivers……since we hadn’t been out for awhile and the GKs were anxious to go.  We barely got away from the dock heading across the river when DH swamped his kayak with DGS in it.  Poor little guy was so scared…good thing we all wear life jackets.  I managed to pick up everything that was dumped. lol!

Marnee,  Neat seeing the Rufous Hummingbirds!

Marilyn,  pretty pics from Janis!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5270347 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Finally got our rain but thank goodness, no storm. Had a drizzle all last night & part of today. But made it up into the 70s and lots of sun.

Marnee, Sounds like you made some good finds at the farmers market. I suppose Rufous are harder to see. Don’t the 2 kind mingle together?Birds smileys

Pat, Glad you were all wearing life jackets.Some start to the day huh?Afraid smileys

Janis’s pix!

photo 123.gif

#5270540 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started at 62° and it’s now 72° sunny with a little breeze. More hazy, hot sunshine is expected today with temperatures warming into the 90s. We’re supposed to cool down sometime mid-week.

I was up early this morning a cleaned all the hummingbird feeders and made fresh nectar for the birds.

Pat, I’m also glad you all were wearing life jackets while kayaking; sorry the little one got scared. One of my sisters sent me a picture of her little GS kayaking with his uncle; I was happy to see they were both wearing life jackets.

Marilyn, wow those are great pictures of the peacocks; the white one is especially beautiful. Hummingbirds don’t mingle they are very territorial and will chase other and even larger birds away from their territories. My resident Anna’s will usually chase other Anna’s away from the feeders. I sometimes find myself telling them to share; but I realize that’s just the way they were created.

Hi to all yet to post.

Have a great day everyone.

#5270542 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 72 degrees, it’s  86 overcast degrees now. We had a 50%-60% chance of rain both days this weekend, didn’t get a single drop :lol: We got some tomatoes and a “Canary” melon  at the church market on Saturday. The melon is a cross between a cantaloupe and honey dew melon, the farmer said it’s true to seed so we’ll dry the seeds and try planting some next season.

We took a two hour walk around the creek and in the woods Sunday, there were plenty fish, turtles and one lone craw fish in the creek. Joyce had fun feeding them all, we relaxed in the swing for a while, she would throw some bread to the fish from time to time, they line up and wait :-) Joyce wants me to fix our 4′ x 8′ “deer stand”, she wants to go over there and make breakfast and watch the critters one of these mornings, guess I can do that for her :grin: We were on the old creek road bridge when I noticed about a inch of a black tail, I was able to sneak up on and make a good shot on a 3′ long cotton mouth, that thing sure was fat :shock:

This morning I went and bought  50 lbs. of corn and a 2 cu. ft. sack of MG potting soil, I put some corn out on the north property after I got back home. Our fig tree cuttings all have several leaves now, I’m going to try setting them out in full sun. Regular fuel here  is $3.26 this morning.

Marnee…..So far I’ve never had any Briggs & Stratton  engine fail me, I had to get our generator carb. cleaned after using 10% ethanol fuel in it once, now all I ever use in our small two and four cycle engines is ethanol free fuel :-)   I’ve got one 20 year old Sears(B&G engine) self propelled mower that has fallen apart but the engine still cranks on the first pull, I can’t bring myself to throwing it away :lol: I’m glad that customer service was able to help with your grill, makes the food taste better when everything is working right.

Marilyn….Our hummingbirds are putting on a show for now, I think they’re heading north.

Pat….You should’ve seen all of the kayaks being hauled around this weekend, I won’t even get in a canoe much less one of those kayaks due to the chance of flipping over :lol:

Marg…..I’m sitting here watching our local news, they just said the we now have Hurricane Bertha, she’s supposed to stay out in the Atlantic on her trip north, we’ll see :wink:

Terry

#5270699 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!   We started out with a very sticky 62 and went to 83 degrees.  Several T-storms moved through and we finally got one which gave us 1/2 inch of rain.  The humidity is supposed to drop this week.

I cut lawn today while I was watering one of my flower gardens.  I had the sprinkler set real low and would move it every 15 minutes or so….it is a long narrow garden.  Then I got rained out.

Terry,  We used to go canoeing, but we like kayaking much better.  There are kayaks everywhere here too.  It has gotten to be a huge sport and a good one since it’s not very expensive and good exercise.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5270731 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Started out in the 50′s but did climb to the mid 80s. Is supposed to rain some more tomorrow.Had to have the a/c on today, was a little humid.

Marnee, Thanks for the hummer info. I have seen then chasing each other but we have never had enough birds to see how they act.smile

Terry,OMG Terry, it’s a good thing you saw that cottonmouth before he saw you.evil<span style=”font-size: 13px;”>DH usually sticks with B & G motors too, but not Sears anymore.</span>

Pat, Yes I have heard a lot about kayaking around here but don’t think I would like it even when younger. Don’t you feel trapped down in there?confused

From Janis.

photo 123.gif

#5270888 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

I was about to post here at 9:00 this morning and decided to go to the fish camp. I spent a hour walking along the fishing point, looking at the water plants that were blooming and the fish that were hanging out in shallow water…that was fun. Billy had put some asphalt in  a wet area, the road is much better now :-) The pigs, goats and two sheep were all out eating, nothing had changed since last month. I need to get back into my fish camp visits, this made my 8th trip this year, last year at this time I had gone to the bayou 52 times…I’ve gotten lazy.

We started at  71 degrees, it’s 87 sunny degrees now. We had some thunder around 6:00PM yesterday but not a drop of rain…we need rain. Looks like Hurricane Bertha weakened, now to see what she’s going to do.

Pat…The newest fad down here now is “paddle boards”, anything to take peoples money from them LOL It’s not a new fad, we were standing on our long boards and paddling them when I started surfing in ’74, no telling how long surfers were doing that before I started. My board is 9′ 10″ Hutson made in ’62, it weighs about 35 pounds.

Marilyn…..I’m always on the look out for venomous  snakes and spiders, I kill them. I play with the nice snakes and spiders, they’re my friends :grin: Sears has their products made so that other manufacturers parts won’t fit, it takes a different 22″ blade to fit a Sears 22″ mower, other brands will rub the housing….bad Sears :lol:

Terry

#5270992 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at a foggy 62 and are going to 78 today. It is sunny, no breeze and still feels muggy.

Marilyn,  Those are pretty pics of the peacocks and sandhill cranes from Janis!

Our kayaks are the open cockpit type which give you a roomy feeling……..not the kind where people wear wet suits and have a boot that fastens to the kayak so water doesn’t get in…like for white water.  We only go on quiet rivers and lakes.  You can’t do a roll if you tip over…you just fall out.  But they hardly ever tip over unless you were to hit a large rock or something.  What happened to DH was that GS always rocked the boat constantly and DH was trying to make a sharp turn.  Now GS has realized not to rock the boat!  lol!

Terry,  I have seen those boards in Scheel’s, but have never seen anyone use them where we go.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5271139 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi,  Just had a shower but didn’t amount to much. Has cooled down a lot from this afternoon. Tis going down in the 50′s with a chance of rain again  for tomorrow.

DH is totally against Sears since that experience……No snake would be my friend. Good or Bad.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-026YIKES

Pat, I didn’t know there was such a thing as an “Open Cockpit” That would be the kind to have.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-024

Grabbed one from PB that I posted before. Milkweed from our back field.

photo 123.gif

#5271265 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 70 degrees, it’s 85 partly cloudy degrees now. I might make some cuttings from our Confederate Rose, a woman  my wife works with wants some doubles like ours. I filled one of our HB feeders this morning, I thought the birds were going to land on me when I took it back out. I might find something to do indoors today, I’m not in the mood to work outside.

Pat…..They have a special open water fishing tournament for Kayaks down here, people even catch and land sharks from those things. Some people have started doing the same thing from their  paddle boards, one woman had a dog sitting on her board, they were going on a picnic complete with a cooler and food basket :lol:

Marilyn…..So far the “scattered showers” have been missing us each evening, the thunder sure can sound close. The good snakes eat mice, rats and  large roaches. Come to think about it, both Sears and snakes both start and end with S  :oops:

Terry

Viewing 15 posts - 5,581 through 5,595 (of 5,936 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.