WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,935 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by 4mybackyardpa5 4mybackyardpa5 1 hour, 47 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,566 through 5,580 (of 5,936 total)
  • Author
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started with clear skies and temps in the lower 60s. It’s now 74° and today is expected to be slightly cooler with temps dropping a degree or two from yesterday. We hit 92° yesterday and expect we’ll hit 90° today.

Pat, glad you liked the pictures… I’m surprised your neighbor’s cattle would run free. Would think most farmers would not want them in their hay or corn field.

Marilyn, wow great pictures; can’t imagine having those beautiful birds in my yard. That white one is especially beautiful.

Terry, I’m not sure what we are going to do regarding the bbq; I may see what customer service says or may check with the store we bought it from.

Marg, sorry you lost power, your new place sounds lovely; hopefully you will be able to post some pictures.

Have a great day everyone.

#5269083 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Nice cool day. Never made it out of the 60s. I like this kind of weather but it could be a tad warmer. This reminds me that winter is coming and we are not ready. But then again who is!cry

Terry,I don’t understand all the numbers you talk about but I do know the jeeps & tucks were NOT street legal. Most of them had to be hauled and we just never took interest in looks.lol

Marg, Sorry you lost power for a bit. Hope it did not interfere with the actual move.Flowers mini graphics

Marnee, Sorry your new grill isn’t working right. I don’t know how I missed it but what is it doing? I must have been defective when you bought it. They are supposed to be good ones.Cooking mini graphicsI can’t imagine how nice that would be to see those birds in your yard.

Some more pix. from Janis.

photo 123.gif

#5269090 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 56 and got to a hazy sunny 78 today.  We had a pretty good breeze and I got alot of yard work done.  Some scattered showers passed through this evening and we got one, but not much as we need right now.

Marilyn,  those are pretty peacock pics from Janis!

Marg,  I’m glad you are moved and settling in to your new place!   I hope you can get some pics.

Have a good day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5269203 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 66 degrees, it’s 76 sunny degrees now. I decided that this would be a goof off day, I went to the store and bought  ice cream, bread, bananas, hickory chips and a 5.49 lb pork loin…..the biggest one they had. I made a dry rub and put it on the loin and then added fresh Rosemary, Sage and Lavender leaves before putting the lid on the smoker :-)

Marg….They say that that wave has a 70% chance of developing into something over the next 48 hours. Ten of the eleven tracks have it going up the Atlantic coast, offshore….we’ll see. Did you get your homeowners insurance yet, they won’t write it if there’s a active tropical system.

Marnee…..Customer service was a issue with some of the opinions in the blogs I searched, there’s always good and bad, it’s worth a look.

Marilyn…..There’s not very many “public lands” that are open to off road performance autos around here, everything’s private, I got rid of our beach rails/buggies when they closed the beaches to drivers :-( We liked to drive down to the Gulf and fish from our buggies, it saved a lot of walking :-)

Terry

#5269223 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started a little cooler this morning at 61° with a few clouds. Our cooler morning should provide a few degrees of cooling for the afternoon hours. End of July weather looks sunny, warm and a bit more comfortable than yesterday’s 90 degree heat.

Today is one of my sisters birthday and we are supposed to be going out to lunch with another one of my sisters. There are really a lot of July birthday’s in my family.

Marilyn, great pictures again from Janis, the red head really shows up on that bird and wow those Peacocks are big birds.

I cleaned all the hummingbird feeders last night and made fresh nectar for them. I have to keep an eye on the temperatures as I’ll have to change the nectar more often with the warmer temps. I have been seeing some little hummers around and just got sidetracked watching a hummer at the feeder by the computer room window.

Terry, sounds like you did okay at the store this morning and everything sounds delicious; you will make us all wish we were there for dinner/supper.:-)

Hope everyone has a great day.

#5269434 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Greetings!  Here it is 62 degrees and may reach near 70 today.  We had a bit of sun and now gone and it is overcast and looks like rain anytime.  We have had a cool week so far and a shower yesterday and cool.  This morning it is a bit breezy now and then.

Headed out to refill bird feeder so the birds can fill up before the rain starts and am sure it will.

Hope everyone has a safe day whatever you are doing.  Much flooding north of us in Buffalo, NY area, in basements, roads, driveways.  Poor drainage from the downpours of rain, lightning hit roof and grazed a woman sitting on couch in her house, but not hurt.

Hi to all who drop by here and wish you all well today whatever you are up to.

#5269470 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Such stellar weather around here lately!  Temps in the low 80s w/ low humidity here all wk! I am not up much on the news re weather.  Hope we dont get any developing hurricanes around here this yr!  Dont need that at all!

Marilyn, nice pics again!

Mm, glad you take such good care of the hummers!

Pat, will try to get some pics here soon!

Terry, dont have my tv hooked up yet!  So pls keep an eye on those tropics for me!  Lol!  Mon I get my tv hooked up!

Hi Posy!  Hi Hiker!  Hi Karmen!

Hi to Janis, Tina, & all who have not posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5269473 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone. We’re starting at 60° with blue skies and sunshine. Today we expect to see mostly sunny skies with temps pretty similar to yesterday if not a degree or two warmer so highs should be near 90 degrees.

Posy, that is scary about lighting you just don’t expect to be hit by lighting in your home. I saw a report last night on the news about a study being done on lighting.

Hi Marg, your new home really sounds nice.

#5269549 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 54 and are going to 82 degrees.  It is partly cloudy with scattered showers.  Humidity is getting higher and uncomfortable.   We got 4/10ths of an inch of rain the other night.  We need a good soaking of an inch or more.

I had internet connection problems yesterday, but so far things seem to be working today

That neighbor is hauling out that stinky crap again from his corn-fed Angus!  The law is that they have to plow it down within 24 hours if it is liquid manure out of a lagoon, but this is out of a feedlot and they are using a box spreader.  Once again it got into our garage…..grrrrrr!

Marnee,  Happy Birthday to your sister!  I’m sure you had a great time together.

Marilyn,  Pretty bird pics from Janis!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5269550 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 60 cool degrees, it’s 87 sunny degrees now. Pensacola broke their record low of 67 for this day set in 1936, they hit 63 degrees. Our pork loin turned out tender, you could cut it with a fork. We should have enough leftover for three more meals. I cut some wood and plastic for the top on my FIL’s old work bench yesterday, I’ll work on that later.

I was going to mow where DW parks but the blades wouldn’t engage on the lawn tractor, something wasn’t working right. I went ahead and mowed the area with our self powered walk behind mower.

I took the mower deck from under the tractor and cleaned it up, looked it over, I had never done that before. I had a rod in the wrong place the first try, removed the deck again and put it back under the tractor again…the blades still didn’t turn after four hours of working on it :-(   I came in, took a bath and read the paper. I decided to take another look, this time I managed to put a belt back on a blade drive pulley, the blades engaged and started turning…I did a test area and came back in the house to rest, that’s what I’ve been doing….RESTING :lol: The blade disengagement lever hasn’t been disengaging for a year now, maybe I fixed the problem, I just don’t know how I did it.

Marnee….The loin turned out tasty,  we’ll have more tonight and then freeze the rest for the future, we had fries with the meat last night. I’ve got to fill the back feeder tomorrow, the birds are really hungry lately.

Marg….I didn’t hear the weather today, I was  outside working until around 12:30PM.

Terry

#5269599 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Things seem to be working better tonight. Had such a mess last night I just quit posting.

Had a real nice day. Got to near 80º but humidity wasn’t too bad. There were to be possible showers but nothing yet.

Hi Posy!

Hi Marg, Don’t wear yourself out. The biggest part is over now. Glad the weather held out for you.

Hi Marnee!

Hi Pat, Sorry about the “stink” again.

Terry, Sorry you are having mower problems. We bought a riding mower from a place I won’t mention about 5 years ago and have had nothing but trouble since we got it. Will never buy from this place again.

From Janis:

photo 123.gif

#5269771 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 68 degrees, it’s 81 overcast degrees now, there’s a 50% chance of rain this weekend, sure hope it doesn’t rain out the church market again :-(   We’ll be watching the new Tropical Storm named Bertha, she formed last night and might go up along the Atlantic coast.

I drove over and put some corn at the north feeding spot this morning, the other was all gone.  I’m a little sore and stiff from laying on the rocky hard ground while working on our lawn tractor yesterday, I wasn’t going to do anything today. I ended up taking my pole trimmer down to the creek and pruning some hanging limbs from two trees and topping a smaller one, now we have a clear view of our north feeding spot. I could sure feel my arms and back while using the pole trimmer, guess I’m getting old.

Joyce cut up the onions and potatoes while I cut up some of our Big Bertha peppers and some pork loin, she made hash last night :-) I went ahead and cut up the rest of the pork loin, packaged(3) and labeled it for the freezer. That will give us five meals from one piece of meat, not bad for $14  :wink: She’s ether going to make a pizza or stop at WM and get one of theirs for tonight, saves time.

Marilyn……Mechanical things break down, I thought I was going to have to go buy a new tractor, this one is from Sears. While I don’t deal with them anymore, I would consider another one of their Briggs and Stratton powered  models. Where did y’all get your tractor, what kind of engine does it have? I might still have to get a new one before long.

Terry

#5269802 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started at 70° early this morning with clouds and just a few drops of rain. It’s now 79° with just a little breeze. After morning clouds we are supposed to have mostly sunny skies and very warm temperatures in the upper 80s.

Pat, I’m sorry to hear your neighbor is hauling out that stuff again. I can’t imagine anyone doing that; one would think they would plow it under right away after all they have to smell it too. Thanks for the birthday wishes for my Sister.

Terry, that pork loin of yours sounded so good, always nice when you can cut with a fork. Our last roast didn’t turn out very well, tried smoking it first and landed up putting it in the oven; think you could have cut it with a chainsaw. (I may have exaggerated a little)

Hi Marilyn, great pictures again; beautiful bird and flowers. We were only supposed to get to the upper 80s yesterday and it was something like 91 degrees out there. I woke up really early this morning to the sound of thunder. We must have been on the edge of that weather system as I didn’t see lighting but did see on the news active weather, including thunder, lightning and heavy downpours moved through the area overnight.

Marg, my backyard had all kinds of hummingbirds this morning. I was thrilled to see the Rufous Hummingbirds again; they are smaller than the Anna’s.

#5269867 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

HI there! Was kind of humid here today. Was nice & cool this morning but soon climbed to 82º Been supposed to rain but never got here.

Terry, I hate to be the barrier of bad news, but it was a Briggs & Stratton from Sears. We should have known better cause just the year before we got a Weedeater, brought it home, it blew apart and we took it back the same afternoon, in pieces.Learned that lesson the hard way.evil

Marnee, Don’t blame you for being thrilled to see all the hummers. Wish I could say that. We have just 2. Would that be the same from last year? That is about all we ever have.smile

This is from Janis!

photo 123.gif

#5269878 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi to ALL WBs!  We started out at 58 and got to 82 humid, hazy degrees.  They are still saying the haze is from Canadian wildfires.  There was hardly a bit of breeze today.

We have a deficit of 1 1/2 inches of rain for July.  Scattered showers the last few days didn’t hit here.
    There is no “smell” here today, thankfully, but we never know when it will come.  If there is a breeze from the north or northwest we have to remember to keep our garage doors shut.

Marilyn,  Pretty pics from Janis!  I saw a young RB Woodpecker at the feeder a couple of days ago that didn’t have any red on it’s head yet….but didn’t get a pic.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

Viewing 15 posts - 5,566 through 5,580 (of 5,936 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.