WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 6,194 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by WoodlandGal WoodlandGal 13 hours, 30 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,551 through 5,565 (of 6,195 total)
  • Author

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All……We started at 72 degrees, it’s 88 mostly sunny degrees now. I saw two deer on the north feeding spot at 3:30PM yesterday, some low hanging Sweet Gum limbs were blocking my view.  This morning I spent three hours walking along  700′ of our creek trails cutting overhanging limbs with  my long handled loppers, I took my time and enjoyed nature. I went back down and used my telescoping pole trimmer to cut limbs from that Sweet Gum tree, they were 20′ up the tree. Now I can see over to our feeding spot, much better. I will remove a couple small limbs from a Magnolia and a Oak at the creek, that will give us a completely clear view :-)

The creek fish were active, we’ll have to go feed them this weekend. I had my gun belt on and watched every step in case a snake was hiding along the trails. I could always take some bread down to the creek after I finish posting here, that would be fun :-) We’ll visit the kids Saturday morning, no telling what else we’ll end up doing, we don’t make plans.

Pat…..One of my uncles raised pigs, cattle and chickens just up the road, I remember the pig pen  smelled really bad :-(

Marilyn…..We had our home built into the side of a hill, 15′ from the wall where it was bulldozed out. It would take 8′ vertical water  above the 11′ high since we lived here since ’97. That high was about 50′ away, that would flood all of Pensacola if the water came up 8′ higher. Our home is 42″ off grade, that’s the bottom of the floor joist, I think we’re safe but one never knows what “could” happen.

Marg….Prayers for good weather and no traffic for your move, make sure the utilities are turned on and you’ve got the keys :-)

Terry

#5267782 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, we started with some low clouds, temperatures in the 50s and a little breeze. It’s now 71° and breezy with sunshine. Temperatures are expected to warm into the upper 70s and lower 80’s with mostly sunny skies so all in all a lovely day.

Marilyn, that is really a beautiful flower and looks great from any direction.

Marg, glad you’re getting good weather for your move. Your new place sounds lovely.

Hi Pat! Hope you were able to air out the life jackets and sure hope they plowed the fields around you. Can’t imagine how that would be especially on a warm day.

Terry, yesterday I grilled chicken and zucchini on the pellet grill and turned out really good. May still have to check with mfg as not sure this grill is keeping the temperature the way it’s supposed to.

My knee is giving me problems again; guess it’s the golden years acting up.

Have a great day everyone.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by mmarnee mmarnee.
    #5267804 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Had another nice day today. Yesterday would have been a good day to take down the trees but The guy called & said he couldn’t make it yesterday and was going to try for Saturday. Well, we have heard chance of rain tomorrow & Sunday so don’t know what they will decide on. Watch they will cancel out & we won’t get a drop.Was just out in the car and I see it says 82º but it sure doesn’t feel like that.

Hi Marg,They are calling for possible showers here so you should be alright for the move. It usually takes a day or 2 to get to you, if at all.GOOD LUCK!tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-108

Terry,Yeah, plans usually don’t pan out anyway……..That is wise to look for “you know what” Yeah, You never know about water. There’s always a first time. tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-080

Marnee, You must admit the flower looks better from an upright position. Janis probably wondered what that picture was.Sorry to hear about your knee. The good old “Golden Years”tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-083

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5267829 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL Wbs!   We had a nice day today starting at 63 and going to 75, but with humidity moving in.  Rain was coming directly at us this morning and fizzled out again, but it stayed cloudy all day.

Marilyn,  Janis pic of the fkower is pretty no matter how you look at it!  A pretty garden pic too!

Marg,  I hope everything goes well for you during your move.  It sounds awesome where you are moving to.

Terry,  Oh yeah….pigs are the worst! ROFL!

Marnee,  I’m sorry you are having knee problems again.  My one knee that gives me pain doesn’t bother me unless I ride horse…..which I don’t do any more.  But I have found out that I can’t bike either, since my knees both feel weak and never build strength even though they don’t hurt.

This is a pic of a neighbor’s colt.  His color is called Perlino, a variation of the cream color gene.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5267974 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Good Saturday Morning ALL WBs!   It was 58 this morning and going to 84 degrees.  The humidity is almost tropical and there is hardly a breeze. Uggh!

Storms firing up from this weather system are going to the south near LaCrosse.

One load of hay is coming this afternoon, but he is going to put another two loads in his shed to bring next week when we are supposed to have cooler weather.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5268397 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, its 80° with high clouds a little breeze and some hazy sunshine this afternoon.  It’s supposed to be close to 90 today, temps are going to heat up this week.

We stopped at a farmers market after church today I bought lots of goodies. Cucumbers, Kohlrabi, Radishes, Tomatoes, Rainier Cherries,Raspberries and a Marionberry type of roll and a peach scone. Everything looked so good.

Happy Birthday Joyce! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Photo

Marilyn, I like that picture; it looks peaceful there.

Pat, I love your neighbor’s colt, it’s beautiful! A niece of mine is always showing pictures of  Miniature Appaloosas; she lives on a farm and loves all animals.

Marg, hope the move went well.

Have a great day everyone.

#5268415 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi to ALL WBs!   We had a beautiful cool day here today, starting out at 56 with popcorn showers all morning and going to a partly sunny 76 degrees.  I don’t know the amount of rain as the rain gauge still had water in it from the sprinkler on the garden, but it didn’t amount to much.

Marnee,  pretty pic with the birthday wishes!  I have never seen a mini-app…….would love to see pics if you have any.

Happy Birthday to Joyce!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5268429 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Pat, here are a couple pictures of Miniature Appaloosas my niece posted; I don’t know if they are hers as she shares lots of photos.

#5268433 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi, Got to make this quick. Had to shut down early last night and now I hear thunder boomers again. We have a tornado watch out and hear it thundering just hope it stays up north. Had a couple little drizzles today and got to 80º and last I looked it was down in the 60s already. Supposed to be cool for a couple days.

Pat, That little colt is so cute.

Marnee, Lovely Birthday wishes for Joyce, count me in too. Love that frame…………..tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-067Those cults are so cute.

Joycetiny-smileys-yesemoticons-072

From Janis!

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5268656 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

Joyce said thank you for the birthday wishes after I showed them to her this morning.

We started at 78 degrees, it’s 91 sunny degrees now. This morning I went and bought  rear tires for my ’03 Dakota, there wasn’t much tread on them and I noticed a crack across the tread of one when we were leaving the kids home Saturday.  I spread four wheel barrow loads of mulch before I went to the tire store, it was already hot outside.

We didn’t do anything special this weekend, we did watch four “Whistler” movies on “get TV” yesterday, they show oldies on that channel. Joyce stewed a chuck roast and some vegetables Saturday and did some chicken leg quarters on the rotisserie Sunday, we’ll have some leftover roast tonight :-) We should see lows in the low 60′s the next three days. maybe I’ll do some outside work.

Marnee….Does your grill have a good thermometer?  You can get one with a line and probe to keep track of what the temperature is really doing. There are several blogs about opinions of that make of grill, you might want to read some  for comparison of  any questions that you may have about the grill.

Marilyn…..We got flood insurance when we had this home built, we’re not required to have it but I believe in being prepared, it’s only $350 a year  :-)

Pat…..We could smell a pig pen at the old farm two years after the pig had been butchered, gross :-(

Marilyn…..That top car looks like a ’29-’31 Ford “A” Touring 4-dr sedan….looks original. The other car is a ’28-’29 Ford “A” 2-dr Sedan….it’s a custom like our ’29 Ford Woodie was. Ours was also Guards India Red,  also known as “Porsche  Red”. Our car was all dark mahogany wood from the windshield back, it had a sun visor and “wind wings” on the front windows like the red car :-) We started the Pensacola Rodtiques in ’71, the cars had to be older than 1948 to be shown, 1949 and newer weren’t “old or antiques” in the Street Rod  circuits.

Terry

#5268677 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone. We’re off to a warm start with clear blue skies, sunshine and a little breeze and it’s already 79° this morning. Our temperatures are expected to climb back into the lower to middle -90s. Our forecast for the week is for temperatures in the 90s and then higher 80s for the end of the week. Normally I’ll print the extended forecast chart and keep an eye on the actual temperature so I know when to change the nectar in the hummingbird feeders.

Marilyn, hope your weather is better today and you didn’t get a tornado; they can really be scary. Those are some nice looking old cars.

Terry, my grill does have a thermometer just not sure how good it is. I checked with several people that have the same type of grill and they say mine does not sound like its working right.

Hi Pat, Marg, Posy, Sharon, Grace and everyone!
    Hope everyone has a great day.

#5268747 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!   We have more low dewpoint cool weather, starting out at 52 and going to 75.  It was sunny all day, but not much wind.

There was a little fog in low places this morning as the sun was coming up like an orange ball.  I went out to try to get a pic (sorry…nothing good)  and noticed the neighbors cattle had been up our driveway overnight.  They are heifers that are always getting out trying to find greener grass on the other side of the fence and crawl through.   A couple of days ago another neighbor went by our place chasing them on a 4-wheeler.  They used to just stop and eat at the first field of hay or corn they came to.  Now they go wandering!

Marnee,  those mini horses are so cute!  I just love that little foal!  Thanks for posting those pics.

Marilyn,  pretty pics of the old cars from Janis!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5268794 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! It’s a little cool here at the moment and is to be like this for a couple days, I think. It is to go down in the 40s tonight. This is a weird summer. IMO

Terry, The old cars are quite nice.Dh used to belong to a jeep club in his younger years, but they were more interested in what they could do strength and speed wise more so  than the looks.

Marnee, Thanks and the weather is cooler and still rain on & off. Thank goodness I didn’t hear of any bad storms near here.

Hi Pat!

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5268921 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 70 degrees, the cold front stalled last night so we didn’t drop into the 60′s this morning.  We had 1/2″ rain at 6:00PM last night from a quick thundershower, I unplugged  our antenna due to the lightning. We hit 96 degrees yesterday before the rain started, it looks like the mulch I put out held up to the sudden rain :-)

I was going to get some meat to smoke today but decided to just goof off all day long, I can do that.

Marnee…..There were several negative comments about customer service with the manufacturer of your grill, find out if it’s working right, if not see if the store you bought it from will do something to help make it right.

Pat……We’ve had peoples horses, goats and peacocks roaming around in our yard but never any cattle :-)

Marilyn….Our cars didn’t just look good, they were all street legal. One friend had a street legal ’27 (426 Hemi )dragster that he ran at the drag strips, another had a twin engine(454 Chevy) ’32  “mud rail” that he raced in the mud pits in this area. “Show and go” was the norm for  the “Street Rods”, they had to be street legal cars from 1948 or older. Our little woodie  had a 327 Chevy engine, automatic trans, Mustang rack and pinon steering on a Covair front suspension, Chevy rear end that I hung(welded) with a Pete and Jake’s triangulated four bar rear suspension…. like on the California Kid coupe. There were a lot of 4 x 4 modified cars that had 30′s and 40′s bodies, they were nice looking and powerful :-) I had a couple VW powered Chenowith sand rails before they stopped us from driving on the beaches here, the fastest sand rail was a Turbo charged Corvair  powered  Chenowith. We loved playing with our custom cars, all of that stopped when I retired in ’97.

Terry

#5268926 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs! Slowly recovering from the moving!  Had a bad tstorm the 1st night I was living here at the new place & we lost power for a bit, fortunately, only for a little while.  Taking a breather now from unpacking & reorganizing stuff!  Looks like it may rain later today.  Have no clue what the weather forecast is cuz no tv hooked up yet!

Marilyn, nice pics & yep, we did have that bad storm here I think on Sat night!  Glad you didnt get tornadoes!

Mm, hope you are doing well.  Is your brother’s area there still having bad fires?  I hope he & his property are ok.  Love the pics!

Pat, love the pretty horses!

Terry, seeing something now about the tropics!

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY TO JANIS!

Hi to Janis, Tina, Karmen, & all who have not posted in a while here!  LATER, GATORS!

Viewing 15 posts - 5,551 through 5,565 (of 6,195 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.