WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 6,091 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by 4mybackyardpa5 4mybackyardpa5 4 hours, 25 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,521 through 5,535 (of 6,092 total)
  • Author
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Another nice day here today but they are calling for rain beginning Sunday and lasting through Wednesday. Next week we are having a return to HOT & HUMID. Am not looking forward to that.Funny smileys

Marnee, The bales were pretty heavy to me, but I used to help load & onload the wagon all the time till I got hurt. He didn’t have the equipment for making the round ones. Even if we would have had it done, he does not have the equipment to handle them They are not the small ones you see at Halloween for decoration… You have probably seen these in the fields. biggrin

Terry, Thanks for the wet suit info. I did not know any of that.neutral

This is just some ribbon grass and then some ornamental grasses here on the farm.

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5265637 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 72 degrees, it’s only 77 degrees now, the rain has stopped for now. We had 1″ yesterday and 2.625″ so far this morning. The road and berms held up well but I’ll be moving some dirt come Monday morning :-) Guess we’ll get ready and check out the church market and then head to the fish market for some of their fresh seafood :cool:

Marilyn….Unless you’re a diver or surfer, you don’t need to know about wet suits. Did you know that a person  can get a bad sunburn in the winters here, us surfers could withstand spending all day at the beach, a good tan buildup allows that.  I’ve moved a few hay and straw bales, used them for erosion control years ago.

Terry

#5265664 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

<b>Hi WWBs!  Another nice, milder than normal summer day here today!  Temps in the mid80s, some clouding, however, stray showers in spots!  Decided to do my watering earlier today as I am seeing signs oof blight on my tomatoes.  Wasnt that hot today so thought I wouldnt risk burn out on my gardens!  </b>

Marilyn, love the pics from your farm!  So sorry you got hurt bailing! I see those huge hay bails, both the square & round ones & they are huge!  Most ppl get folks w/ the right equip to do both the cutting, bailing & hauling of the hay around here!  i am sure Pat knows all too well about that subj!  And, like I am a real expert about this subj!  Lol!  NOT!  Oh, and re my eyes, have to deal w/ some medical dept in the dmv of PennDot.  Will probably take a long time for everything to process properly!

Mm, like the pic of the old family farmstead!

Pat, hope you arent getting many bears around again this yr! Mwoild not like that!

Hi Hiker!  Hi Posy!  Hi Terry!

Hi to Janis, Tina & those who havent posted inba while!  LATER, GATERS!

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by margba margba.
    #5265714 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone. We started at 64°with overcast skies and its now 80° with sunshine and just a little breeze. Today’s high temperature is only supposed to be in the lower 80s so hopefully it will not get to much warmer.

One day last week lots of honey bees showed up in my backyard on the little hummingbird feeders. I moved the feeders away from the patio and then way back on the east side of the yard and am still seeing some honey bees.

Bought a couple of citronella candles for the patio; so hopefully the ones around the patio will move.

Marilyn, that is pretty ornamental grasses you have there.A couple of years ago one of the neighbors down the street took out their front lawn and planted it all in ornamental grasses. It was a several day project to trim it back this year.

Terry, sounds like you are really getting lots of rain there.  My yard looks like it could use some good old rain; watered the backyard and gave up on the front yard.  I’m going to have to call the lawn service as they sprayed and most of the front yard isn’t growing even after we watered and watered it.

Marg, when is the big move? Your new place sounds really nice.

Hi Pat, your idea on using Mountain Dew would be good for wasps/hornets; only we have honey bees and there have been so many die off of bees around we need to protect the honeybees.   Last year there was a real problem when some trees were sprayed and some trees had to be covered with netting to keep the bees away.

I’m going to be lazy today, I seem to have moved wrong and twisted my knee again.  Guess its part of the good old  golden years!

Have a great day everyone.

#5265765 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!    We started out at 62 and got to 78 with lots of wind.  Tomorrow the humidity will start moving in.

Marilyn,  that is a neat old baler!  Do you still use it?  I’ve never seen one like that before.  We always had JD for small squares and hired someone to bale big rounds.   My horse hay might be coming next week.  I don’t look forward to unloading in 90 degree temps, but at least we have one of those big barn fans to blow hot air on us!  lol!
    I love all your  beautiful grasses!

Marnee,  That is a wonderful pic of your Mom’s old farm!  Wow…..so many bees!  I have never seen honey bees around here….I know they are in danger.

Terry,  I never knew that about wet suits.  Everyone who kayaks around here in the spring wears them, but we wait until it warms up more.  I’ve never worn one.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5265852 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hello there!  It never got out of the 60′s today. Did rain for the biggest part of the day.DH has some field work pretty soon so went into Ohio and got some cans of gas for $3.13. Helps out.

Terry, DH got an awful sunburn when we lived down there. We had gone to Daytona Beach and overdid it. He has a fair complexion so it didn’t take much.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-003

Marg, Hope that link I sent about the DMV, helped. It should give you an idea anyway. I didn’t read what it said. Some places might do things different too but that is state regulated so it should be the same, I would think. Rules are rules!tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-011Well, at least the test is behind you.

Marnee,Gee, I had a couple bees & thought that was bad, nothing compared to yours. BTW, I agree about those good ole “Golden Years”.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-032

Pat, That was my FIL’s baler, like the tractor. Dh has kept them up and working well and yes it is used every year. We don’t make the big round ones, we really don’t need them any more and he doesn’t have the equipment to handle them on the every day scale. DH retired from the railroad and we just came back to Pa. [from Ohio] after his parents died. We couldn’t afford to keep both places going, so sold our house in Ohio and moved back here.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-059

I snatched this picture from DD’s FB page. They come in every nite and will now eat out of her hand. This [I think] is the doe that has a pair of twins. Their property backs up to a park so I suppose that helps because they are close by.

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5266033 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone. We started at 64° with mostly cloudy skies and its breezy this morning and so far it’s only warmed a few degrees. Our forecast shows clouds and cooler temperatures will be the main story for the coming week with daytime highs in the 70s. Sounds like really nice weather to me.

Pat, my allergies seem to have kicked in with the change of the weather; not sure why as the pollen count isn’t high.

Marilyn, great picture the deer are so cute; can you imagine having them eat out of your hand. I’m not seeing the bees this morning so hopefully they moved on.

#5266087 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 60 and are going to upper 80s with humidty and it is very windy…hazy sun out there.

We went for a drive this afternoon in the next county as I was looking for a photo opp….thought I might enter their July photo contest, but didn’t capture anything special.

Marilyn,  We still have the fork for the tractor to handle big round bales in case we would have to get them.  Our supplier makes small squares for me and another horse owner.  But as he gets older he might decide to go all big rounds.
    Pretty pic of the doe and fawn!  We have NO fawns around this year because of the severe winter last year.  There are quite a few adult deer though.

Have a good day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5266153 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!   Very nice day today!  Not too hot, not too muggy! Gonna get pretty hot this week, however!  Ugh!

Marilyn, love the deer pic!

Mm, nice one of your hb feeder w/ the bees!

Hi Pat!  Why not try to get a nice pic of your horses, or your hummers, or pileateds, etc for that contest or does it have to be a pic taken from in that county?

Terry, keeping fingers crossed about the tropics!  Had enough big rain storms this spring/summer!

Hi Hiker!  Hi Posy!

Hi to Janis, Tina, Karmen & all who havent posted in a while! LATER, GATORS!

#5266250 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hello everyone! Had a couple light showers today but otherwise it was nice. Did make it to just 70º

Marnee, I do remember those pictures of the “yard that was converted to all grasses”. It was gorgeous. I bet it took a lot of work though…….Hope the bees did move on. Too bad about you allergies. I never had trouble like that but understand they can be a real bother.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-115

Pat, That is real strange about “no fawns” I am trying to get hubby to carry the camera backfield, cause that’s where he usually sees them, but so far no luck.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-141

Hi Marg, Yeah, that hot weather is coming & am NOT looking forward to it.

This is one from Janis.

photo signature_2_1.gif

#5266353 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  It will be a nice day here today as far as temps go & not being too hot!  Temps in the mid80s, somewhat overcast.  Gonna get hot next 2 days, though w/ temps in the low 90s before a cold front comes in on Wed to break the hot stuff!

Marilyn, love the pic from Janis!

Hi Mm!  Hi Pat!

Terry, seeing something becoming active down there!

Hi to Janis, Tina, Karmen & all who havent posted in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5266391 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We have a hot one going on today…..starting at 65 and going to 90 and with humidity.  There are to be severe storms around midnight tonight.

Marnee,  I hope your allergies are better.  Maybe it is from mold forming.  We have a dehumidfier for the basement, but they take alot of electricity so we don’t use one upstairs.  I do wipe down the surfaces that tend to get mold with a vinegar/water solution.  It kills it right away and it comes back slower.

Marilyn,  Janis’ pic is beautiful!  I have seen one Monarch around here and the GKs brought in one cat to raise, but it died.  :(

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5266392 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 74 foggy degrees, it’s  85 partly cloudy degrees now with 97% humidity. We had 5/8″ of rain yesterday and  1  5/8″ from a downpour this morning in forty five minutes. I went out and shoveled dirt on our driveway berm so the hill slew water would run into the woods, the asphalt on the hill road has some ruts now, I’ll wait to see if Peanut fixes them with his box blade.

This morning I added tan rawhide to my tomahawk handle and then put red, yellow, turquoise , white and green beads on four strands of rawhide hanging down. I might add some brass nails and feathers later.

We had 2 lbs of large headless shrimp Saturday, we soaked them, the new red potatoes and corn on the cob in liquid crab boil and  water for four hours, boy was that food spicy  :oops: Joyce fried some fresh red snapper, hush puppies and made baked beans for Sunday…..she took leftovers from both days to work for  her and DD lunch today.

The church market got rained out Saturday, they won’t have it again until the Saturday after next.

Marnee….We’ve had our share of rain Friday-Monday, the humidity is awful right now :-(

Pat….The wet suits aren’t needed much here but the kids wear them a lot to make a fashion statement :lol:

Marilyn…..It takes about 15 minutes to burn on our beaches here, the pure white sand reflects the rays making it worse.

Marg……Yep, I’m watching the weather right now, that system has a 10% chance of building, the conditions aren’t right for it. I’ll watch it until the last cloud is gone :shock:

Terry

Make that a 20% of building into a storm, just updated :-(

#5266408 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started at 57° with cloudy skies and it’s warmed up to 67°. Today is supposed to be a comfortable and sunny day with mostly sunny weather this afternoon and daytime highs in the upper 70s.

I had my morning coffee on the patio and enjoyed watching the hummingbirds and the chickadees. It was still a little cool outside but the morning sun made it really comfortable. I think most of the bees have moved so it’s more comfortable sitting on the patio; the bees really didn’t scare me and a few times landed on my clothes but didn’t sting me.

Terry, your leftovers sound delicious; I love seafood. I just grilled some Johnsonville Brats yesterday they were good but seafood is better. One of the first jobs I had in Oregon was making wetsuits and that was a very long time ago.

Marilyn, love the picture of the butterfly; for some reason I don’t see very many around my yard.

Pat, are you seeing any of the smoke from the wildfires in Washington State? One of my sisters in ND was telling me last night they are seeing the smoke from the fires. I read that the fire in N. Central WA is 4 times the size of Seattle. I also read that Oregon now has something like 15 wildfires. So far we haven’t noticed any smoke.

Marg, have you moved to your new place?

Hi to all yet to post.

#5266532 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hello there, Had a HOT [lower 80s] and tomorrow is to be 90º and very Humid. Not for me.rolleyes

Hi Marg!

Hi Pat, I have seen some BF’s around but my camera doesn’t do a very good job especially up close.cry

Terry, I did see where Fla. is having a lot of rain………… I suppose the white sand would make sunburning quicker.cool

Marnee, Sorry about your lack of BFs. I think they are so pretty.sadGlad the fires are not near you.

These are from that nature site I showed.

photo signature_2_1.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 5,521 through 5,535 (of 6,092 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.