WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,565 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by mmarnee mmarnee 2 hours, 54 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,506 through 5,520 (of 5,566 total)
  • Author

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 73 degrees, it’s 84 degrees now with light rain and I can hear thunder at a distance, we only got 1/4″ of rain yesterday.

Marnee…..If I bought something valuable at a sale, it would be stolen, I wouldn’t get the thousands plus I would be out the money I spent on it :lol:

Marilyn…..I don’t get out in dangerously hot weather, I did when I was surfing back in my younger days…28-54 years old :cool:

Terry

#5264284 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone. We started off 61° overcast with a breeze and its now 70°. Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the week with plenty of sunshine with temperatures topping out in the mid 90s.

I replaced my old dishwasher and garbage disposal with a Frigidaire dishwasher and Wasteking disposal. My old dishwasher was a Hotpoint and I can’t complain as it lasted around 30 years. Not sure how old the disposal was but wasn’t working like it should so decided to also replace it. Times sure change I seem to remember installation use to be included in the price of a new appliance now it was up to us to get the plumbing contractor and pay them.

Marilyn, I believe from what I read the wildfires are from 100 miles to 279 miles from here. That is a really cute little bird and wows look at all the hummingbirds Janis has.

Pat, so far we haven’t had any problems with mosquitoes; but my yard is sure full of bees. I always have a hard time telling bees from wasps as some of them look so much alike to me; so I posted a picture on another site and the unanimous answer was they are bees. I moved several of the hummingbird feeders away from the patio so hopefully the bees will move.

Terry, I don’t buy things hoping they are worth a great deal either; I have to like something to buy it. The one thing I don’t understand on the antiques roadshow is when they give a value then give another one for insurance. I don’t understand why the insurance value is higher?

Have a great day everyone.

#5264373 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi to All WBs!  We are still cool here, starting out at 46 and going to 68, but not breaking  a record today.  Temps will be going up the rest of the week and it looks like it will be drier too.

Marnee,  Happy Birthday!  I hope you have a good one!  I haven’t seen any bees except bumble bees so far.  Wasps/hornets come in the fall and get on the hummer feeders.  A jar with some Mountain Dew in it will attract them away from the feeders and they drown in it.

Marilyn,  pretty pics from Janis!  I always thought of Nuthatches as northern birds for some reason.

Have a good day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5264410 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Had a beautiful day here today. Nice breeze blowing and the humidity is low to none. Was supposed to get severe storms last night but got nothing.  I guess the news said it stayed south of us. Was in the low 70′s.Won’t have many windows open tonight, is to go to 49º.

Terry,I agree with you on the hot muggy days. I am in with the a/cSunglasses smileysYou know I used to lay out in the sun and now I can’t figure out how I ever did it.They did’t have all this warning business about the sun in those days.

Marnee, Isn’t that something about buying appliances.Sure is a different world. I think that might depend on where you buy it. Happy smileys<span style=”font-size: 13px;”>Some will just charge extra for installation.Thanks on the fire info and yes, that is a lot of birds. I even got the magnifying glass to make sure I was seeing right. I think I only have 1, at the most 2.BTW Happy Birthday, have a good one.</span>

Pat,Hey, thanks about the tip on the bees & the HB feeder. I don’t need it yet but I will.Glad you liked the pictures from Janis.Happy smileys

These are from here on the farm. The 2 white ones are Spirea and the pink is a Weigela. I posted the last few blooms hanging over the wall a few weeks ago but this is the whole bush.

photo 123.gif

#5264606 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started out with clear skies, sunshine and at 62°.  It’s supposed to be a little cooler today with highs in the upper 80s lower 90s.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes everyone.

My nephew from NY is in town  and my sister and I plan on meeting him this morning and then later today another of my sisters is coming to town and we will all be going out for dinner.

Marilyn, your flowers are really pretty.

Pat, I moved the little hummer feeders away from the patio and the bees followed the feeders so they are away from the patio and the hummers and I are  happy.

Terry, this it our dry season and we haven’t seen very much rain lately.  We see so much in the winter and from all reports we could sure use some good old rain again.

#5264624 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Good Morning……We started at 70 degrees, it’s 80 sunny degrees now. We had 1/8″ rain from a brief shower this morning, the radar is clear now, we might see lows in the mid 60′s Thursday morning. I might work on a wooden tomahawk some today, I need to replace the rawhide and maybe come up with a paint scheme to make it look nicer.

Marnee…..Most of the time I buy things because I like or want them, it doesn’t matter if the item is cheap or expensive. The reason that the insurance value is higher is due to the crooked insurance industry  with their ever increasing “deductible”, it’s a way to get what the item replacement cost  or value really is. They take our money but don’t want to pay for our losses :-(

Marilyn…..I’m a firm believer in  “conditioned air” , that includes heated or cooled air in our home or cars :-) I spent enough time either surfing or beach combing that I didn’t need to try to get a sun tan. I was almost black from the sun and my hair was sun bleached blonde, I spent five days a week at the beach except from mid Jan-mid Feb, that’s when the water was super cold….even with a wet suit on :cool:

Terry

#5264727 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 45 degrees and got to a sunny 70 without hardly a breeze.  Humidity is still low, but the skeeters are out in full force.

I got the lawn cut and some weeds pulled this afternoon.

Marilyn,  Pretty shrubs you have!  I used to have a Weigela on the farm.

These two Red Headed Woodpeckers must be a pair because they were eating together.  I don’t think there is a way to tell the difference between male and female.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5264788 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there, Really had a nice day here today. Started out in the lower 50′s and did make it to 68º with a light breeze blowing. My kind of weather.

Marnee, Hope you all had a nice time at dinner.Happy smileys

Terry, I did not know that about the water  but then I wasn’t around it that much anyway even when I lived down there.Happy smileys

Pat, Those birds sure are pretty.Happy smileys

This is here on the farm too. Meme told me what it was but I can’t remember.

photo 123.gif

#5265011 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started  at 62 cool degrees, it’s 81 sunny degrees now. I watered our container vegetable and flower plants this morning, they needed it. Yesterday I painted my tomahawk handle and head, this morning I added the detail stripes on the handle. I’ll figure out how I want to do the rawhide, beads and feathers later.

Joyce had a biopsy on her nose Tuesday, the test results came back benign this morning, they froze a place on her scalp, they knew it was basal cell from test many years ago, now she’s happy :-)

Marilyn…..Our average Gulf water  temperatures are 56-58 degrees Dec.-Feb., 84-86 degrees Jun.-Aug and then drop  from 84 degrees in late Oct. >65 degrees in Nov. Depending on the air temperature and winds a wet suit might not be needed until mid January.

Terry

#5265090 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, its 80° with blue skies and sunshine this afternoon. It’s supposed to be much cooler today than yesterday’s 96 to 97°. Yesterday we were surprised at how warm it actually was. Today’s highs are expected to be in the lower 80s.

Pat, that is really a great picture of the Red Headed Woodpeckers.

Terry, that’s good news on the Joyce’s test results; I’m glad everything turned out okay.

Marilyn, I don’t always remember names either; your plant looks good and healthy.

I had a wonderful time yesterday and a lovely dinner with the family last night.

Hope everyone has a great day.

#5265108 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Been mia for a few day here!  Sorry, now catching up! Had to do a good bit of shopping yesterday, incl some grocery shopping , some shopping in prep to move, & an eye dr appt!  I dont know if you guys read my post about my passing the eye test or not!  You may go read all about it if you wish!  Nice day here today, temps very mild.  But it was quite cool here last night!  Hope this beautiful weather hangs around for a while!

Mm, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!  Glad you had a nice time w/ sisters &:your neph!  Loved his yard sculptures he made you!  Such talent!

Pat, love those rhwps!  Great pic of them!

Marilyn, nice pics from your farm!

Terry, things seem to be quiet right now in the tropics!

Hi Hiker!  Hi Posy!

Hi to Janis & all who havent posted in a while here!  LATER, GATORS!

#5265159 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 56 and got to 80 today.  There is haze in the air from northwest Csnadian fires, they said.

Marilyn,  Your bush is pretty, but I don’t know what it is either.

Terry,  That is good news about Joyce’s tests being benign.

Marnee,  I’m glad you had a wonderful birthday with family.

Marg,  Congrats on passing your eye test!

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5265199 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Had  another beautiful day today.Was a cool morning [49º] this morning but finally got to 72º but is getting cool again.Chance of rain but nothing yet.

Terry, I often wondered, like in movies & things, why they wore wet suits. Do they really help that much?Happy smileysGlad Joyce’s biopsy was ok. You just never know.

Marnee, I’m glad I’m not the only one that forgets.Happy smileys

Hi Marg, Did read that you passed that eye test. Did you use that link that I found? Hope it helps.

Hi Pat!

This is an old baler that makes the square bales.

photo 123.gif

#5265353 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we started at 57° this morning and it’s a lovely seasonal Pacific Northwest weather day here. Skies are expected to be mostly sunny with light winds and our highs should be near 80 degrees or slightly warmer.

Marilyn, are square bales the small ones? One of my sister’s lives on a farm and told me this story about the size of bales. Seems a farmer and his older Mother (late 80s) were farmers and when someone asks him why he didn’t make the large round bales he said they were just too heavy for his mother to lift. I can’t even imagine her out in the field lifting the small bales.

This picture is around 90 years old; it’s the farm my Mom grew up on in ND.

#5265384 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 67 degrees, it’s  85 cloudy degrees now with rain heading this way from the west. I went and bought snacks this morning and then put some corn out on the north property. All of the corn I put out yesterday was gone, maybe wild pigs ate every little bit of it. I noticed that regular  fuel was $3.41 this morning :-)

Peanuts SIL just went by with a scoop of dirt going up the hill road, it was smooth when I went out this morning, maybe he’s making it better before the rain gets here.

Marnee, Pat and Marilyn….thanks for the good thoughts for Joyce :-)

Marnee….We only hit 88 degrees yesterday, that’s down for the mid 90′s that we’ve been having. That farm is  fancy compared to the one my in-laws had.

Marg….The tropics are a little slow for now, that changes after September.

Marilyn…..Wet suits really make a huge difference in comfort and flotation, they make it safer to surf or dive in colder water. The bad part is when first getting into the water, the water has to run down between  your body and suit, it feels weird, it’s almost like torture with the ice cold water leaking in until it warms up from body heat :lol:

Terry

Viewing 15 posts - 5,506 through 5,520 (of 5,566 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.