WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,715 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by margba margba 4 hours, 6 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,446 through 5,460 (of 5,716 total)
  • Author

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at  70 cool degrees, it’s  82 hazy degrees now. I got out this morning and moved one load of dirt and then  re-potted our four hanging flower baskets.  They were root bound, I removed some roots and dirt and then replaced those with MG potting mix, now maybe they won’t wilt as fast.

I drove the ’97 Dakota to the store and got some bread, ice cream and a few other things. The price of regular dropped, it’s $3.49 this morning. I want to put some miles on that truck, maybe we can go fishing in it this weekend, it has  fishing gear  under the bed cover….just add worms and crickets to fish :-) I stopped for a momma Bobwhite Quail yesterday, she crossed the main road with her 11 tiny chicks.

The kids are going back to Disney this weekend, they didn’t spend all of their “mad money” on the last trip. We’ll go by and check their mail after we visit the church market on Saturday. I’ll be grilling Friday and Saturday or Sunday.

I hope that hurricane Arthur doesn’t cause problems along the Atlantic coast, be careful.

Marilyn…..I’ve never had a snake bite me but once a car hit my truck from behind on the interstate, the guy was doing around 90 mph, I had my cruise control on doing 65 mph. I’ve shot a couple gators and a bunch of snakes, I’m ahead so far :wink:

Terry

#5260028 Report Abuse
    karmen
    karmen
    Participant

Terry,  always  like  reading  your posts -very  interesting.

Nice  cool  day here  for a change…and  sun  is out!  I went  out to give ducks  and chickens  clean  water,  have to unload  feed next. Hope  to mow more after  the  grass dries  off.Checked garden, nothing  I needed to pick…only  got  one radish and one onion. We  need  some  sun and warmth.

Hubby had  a  terrible  time  finding a road  that  was not closed  to get  to work.   All  are closed due  to flooding from those  rains  up north of us got the other day.   It  is real bad.  Took him  a  while to get to work.

Shrimp and  pasta  for supper tonight!

#5260031 Report Abuse
    karmen
    karmen
    Participant

Just  caught  up  on the back  posts…

Margba…how  sweet of you  to say.  I’d  love  to have visitors but  no one  around  here does that much.   That is why  I come to this board, is  to have someone  to chat with….I’m  here all day  by  myself and it gets lonely sometimes….thanks!

Woodlandgal….farmers  are not doing too bad  around here…up north where the tornadoes were..they  are reporting  destroyed  corn, which is  very bad.  Now there is flooding  here  on  the   eastern  borde r with the Mississippi River….so  imagine  many  fields  are under  water  now too.  Reports  on the news  of  all the flooding damage  to  homes  etc…hubby  had  a  bad  time  this  morning  finding  a way  into  Muscatine  Iowa  for  work.  Most  the roads  are closed  he  said…

Terry, I’ve  had  shrimp from down  south…we have  been  to  New  Orleans twice and  Biloxi  area  before  Katrina….it  was  beautiful  down there….I  could  have  moved  down there!  The  Gulf  was  lovely  with all the boardwalks  out into the  water.   We  have  not  been  down there  since  Katrina  hit tho…I hope it got rebuilt….

#5260050 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

hi all!  Had bad storms here last evening w/ power outages, wind damage, big trees falling onto houses & but it basically missed us right here except for a lot of lightening.  Temps in the 90s past couple of days.  Another big round of storms that may be severe later today.  Hope we get the rains but not the other bad stuff.  Garden is just starting to come along nicely & would hate it to get battered too badly by a bad storm.  And also concerns about a hurricane coming! Could get some effects of it here.  

Karen, hope your dh gets home ok.  Glad to see you back agsin!

Pat, hope you arent getting more bad weather!

Mm, liked your pics in the other posts!

Marilyn, like your pics, as always!

Hi Hiker! Hi posy!  Hi Janis!

Hi to all who have not posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5260068 Report Abuse
    karmen
    karmen
    Participant

Margba….I’m not  sure  where  you  live…but  hope the  hurricane   misses  you.   Saw  news of it on the  world  news the other night….hubby  just  found out  he  has to work tomorrow  night….so  we  won’t  celebrate 4th  til the evening…going out to ride the steam train where  hubby  volunteers  (he  takes  care of the gates and signals) and then watch  the fireworks…i’m  taking  a picnic  supper  for us….just  sandwiches and  chips and  cheese  sticks etc…nothing fancy.

#5260319 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi Everyone! Had a beautiful day today. Was in the 60s this morning and did not go out of the 70s all day. Fine for me. Is to down into the 50s tonight. That will be great sleeping weather.lolLove the fresh air compared to the a/c.

Terry, I bet the little quail family looked so cute crossing the road………….You may be winning with your opinion about the snakes vs. cars, but I just don’t like snakes, no matter what!sad

Karmen, You must have really had the water out that way.Glad the bad stuff didn’t get you.Supper sounded yummy!………..I know  what it’s like to be married to a railroader. You spend a lot of time alone. This is a good way to pass the time especially in the winter.confusedThat sounds like fun going to ride the train.

Hi Marg!

This is my wish for everyone tomorrow and be safe.smile

photo 123.gif

#5260406 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Happy 4th! Its starting out on the wet side!  Had another round of big storms come thru last evening & a little more rain this morning, not from the hurricane, however!  Only effects from Arthur that wecare supposed to get is some good strong breezes!  Temps to be only in the lower 80s!  Nice, compared to the hot stuff we had been having!

Marilyn, like the graphic!

Mm, how are the hummers these days?

Pat, did you get to go to any fireworks yet w/ the dgks or maybe tonight?

Terry, Arthur wasnt such a bad one!

Hi Hiker!  Hi Posy!  Hi Janis!  Hi Karmen!

Hi to all who havent posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5260431 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning and Happy 4th of July! We started at 59° with some clouds and our daytime highs are expected to be in the upper 70s; which is around our July average for this time of they year.

Photo

Marg, the hummer are fine, they seem to like the little feeders the best.

Marilyn, Happy 4th to you also; I love  your photo.

Karmen, a ride on the steam train sounds like fun; enjoy the fireworks.

Terry, what type of flowers are in the hanging baskets your re-potted? I thought about getting a hanging basket the other day but didn’t really see any that said take me home.

Hi Janis, Posy, Sharon, Hiker, Mary Ann, Jill, MaryinMi, Tina, Grace, Meme, and everyone.

Have a safe and Happy 4th.

#5260441 Report Abuse

JJ93volvo
    Participant

WOW….what a beautiful site B&B have created for us here…..Thanks B&B…..it was so easy to arrive at this spot today……

Happy Independence Day folks…..aren’t we the luckiest to be born in the USA where we have all these state of the art objects at our disposal!

Thank God and our Military for our freedoms if you should encounter them !

Our temp. in WV is 69F and feels like a gift from you know who….it has been HHH here with maybe two days of sunshine in a month! Been busy with the house and yard  which has some substantial weeds growing ! But they are so easy to pull when they get that big!

Karmen your garden sounds heavenly…..unfortunately we are like gypsys traveling the Eastern seaboard…..enjoying our freedoms and our gas suppliers….LOL…Gas is $3.68 here…..about the same in De….SC was 3.29….amazing how it differs from state to state….

Mary your hummer looks as well fed as any pet….LOL…and your porch looks so inviting and clean….you must have been busy there…..ours needed power washing…..and it has been so hot that the hummers feeders needed cleaning every two days…..don’t know how they knew we were here but they flew in my face and said it was about time….now get our feeders up…LOL…and I’ve supplied the neighbors with their own feeders so they wouldn’t go hungry in our abscence and planted many of their food flowers….however it was a harsh winter and killed all the butterfly bushes and the rabbits are eating all the hosta flowers so I have to plant more for them….Thanks for sharing all your photos with us at the bash…we always enjoy seeing your well fed hummers, your visiting blue heron in Or. and all of your yard art!

Terry it’s so nice to hear about your neck of the woods and all your goings on….I did manage to go trout fishing a few times and caught lunch one day…um….um…good! Found a new spot because of the high waters……have to wait for DH because it’s a dangerous spot and I shouldn’t go there alone….snakes are the least of it! But I try to make enough noise so that they know I’m coming!

Pat I was thinking of you when my girlfriends took me kayaking…..in a lake with wakes….LOL…and they told me i had to take them head on or tip…LOL…I had gone once before in the keys and it was so different…..next time I’ll take a padded seat because 4-5 hours sitting on the plastic kayak is brutal…..not that it bothered me…then! Hope you are getting out up there to smell the roses!

Margba do you still take the Amish pictures….thought of it the other day when I saw them on the Telly…..guess you are enjoying the fruits of their labors….how’s your garden doing? ANd your hummers….I didn’t get the chance to peruse the previous pages to see but remember when I did…LOL

Marilyn our genius with pictures….I also remember all your beautiful yard photos….but I really remember seeing your gallery with all your beautiful art  only realizing later that I contributed to a few…..you make them look like masterpieces….hope you are enjoying summer…..since it’s finally here…..Thanks for all your hard work on the bird bash…..pictures……seems like the bash is never ending…the birds still keep coming!LOL

Can’t remember when I’ve been here last but rest assured that the birds are well fed…..and aplenty! There are close to a dozen goldfinches out ther now and the hummer presence is in the air…LOL…they let me know when a feeder is empty….and as you know they need to be cleaned almost daily in this heat….today is a joy with the cooler temps….

Posy I’ll bet your NY yard is all in bloom and you are planting new things…right? LOL

Hiker I know that you will enjoy today and all that it stands for with the military in your family….thank them for me please…..hope you are getting out and about with your usual grace!

Jill I often think of you climbing the rockies daily….paradise for sure….and the trips to Mi. to see your Mom….say Hi for me……if she even remembers me….it’s been so long I’ not sure who is around….anymore……

That’s all this old lady can handle for the moment as DH has issues that need to be resolved….since he’s my soldier I must honor his wishes!

God Bless America…land of the free ….and home of the brave!

#5260506 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi Janis!,  great seeing you again here!  Winds are kicking up pretty good now, helping to dry us out from 2 days’ worth of rvening rain storms! The winds are suppisedly effects of Hurricane Arthur!  I think that is about all we will get from him, but you never know as it travels northward!

Mm, love the porch pic & your hummer pic!  Kind of looks like a caterpillar at the t op of the hb feeder, too!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by margba margba.
    #5260522 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 74 degrees, it’s 83 sunny degrees now, our American flag is flapping in the breeze this morning :-) DW just talked to our DD, they just checked into their room at Disney, it’s nice and clear down there at this time.

I’m going to grill steaks today and then do some pork ribs on Saturday, I don’t want to cook all of the meat at one time. We’re going to sit and watch TV, Joyce doesn’t get to see weekday  programs very often.

Karmen…..Glad that you enjoy my post, I find other members doings interesting :-) I don’t get lonely down here, it’s so quiet outside other than the critters making noise. We enjoyed a dozen duck eggs I bought at the church market once, they were so rich. I stayed with a aunt and uncle weekends while I was stationed at Keesler AFB(Biloxi) during 48 weeks of electronics school in ’65. My relatives tried to get me to go out on one of their trawlers, I wasn’t about to do that :lol: They had seafood most every weekend, that’s where I learned to boil shrimp the right way. They lived on the big river in Gulf Port and kept their trawlers at their docks. We didn’t have boardwalks around here until the early 70′s, the idea is to walk on our sugar white sands, not a bunch of boards :lol: Now the beach area looks like any northern shore :-(

Marilyn…..You’re right, those tiny quail were so cute. I don’t know if I like snake or not, I’ll try some if I find a place serving it :wink:

Marg….It’s good that Arthur stayed  offshore, got to be careful before a storm hits, it’s too late if one gets bad and people haven’t planned for the worse after one hits.

Marnee…..Three baskets are Vincia and the other one  is  Zinnias, they look better today so far.

Janis….I’m sure happy with the new site format, but I don’t try to post photos or other “fancy” things :lol: I’ve found that snakes come to noise, when I’m clearing in the woods I see more of them ;-) That’s one of the reasons I always wear my gun belt while I’m spending time outside, one never knows what might be around.

Terry

#5260543 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  It was 57 this morning and is going to a sunny 78.  You can feel the humidity starting to move in again and there is no wind today to help.

We got back late last night from Lake Superior.  We had the most beautiful weather…about 70 and mostly sunny.  The water temp is 38 degrees and nobody was swimming!   We beachcombed over 3 miles and didn’t find a single piece of sea glass, but lots of cool driftwood.  I plan to make something and will show a pic later on.
    We also hiked the lakeshore trail and what a hike that was!!  A four-mile moderate to difficult trail down and back up steps through ravines mostly.  Boy, do we both hurt today!  I have never hiked such a trail, but got some neat pics of the sea caves from above.  I tried to make a video because the sound of the water in the caves underneath us was awesome, but my camera wouldn’t cooperate.  It doesn’t do it like my P&S does.

Marilyn,  pretty collage from Janis!  I like how you did the insets of the Hummers!

Marnee,  I can’t believe it got so hot out there!  Your pics of the Hummer and your porch are pretty!

Karmen,  I would LOVE to see a steam train!  But don’t know where there are any that run….just on display.

Terry,  How neat to see the Bobwhite and chicks!   They disappeared from here about 20 years ago due to farmers cutting their hay earlier all the time….also Meadow Larks.

Janis,  I’m glad you got to go kayaking!  Wake is fun when you turn into it.  Our rivers are so high that we haven’t been out for awhile.  I use a chair cushion on my seat!  lol!

New this year on Lake Superior is sea kayaking tours of the sea caves and some of the Apostle Islands.  The tours are for half or a full day.  I think half a day would be too long for me…I just would like to see the caves.  You never know how windy it is going to be when you make reservations so we probably won’t do that.   If anyone wants to see what a storm is like on the lake, search “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”.  It was the Titanic of the Great Lakes.

We might go to see some fireworks tonight just so I can experiment shooting them with my camera.  I don’t have a remote shutter release so might not get good pics, but will practice anyway.

The GKs are coming back tomorrow.

A morning shot of the lake’s shoreline.  I didn’t get up early enough for a sunrise pic.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5260547 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Labels: 4th of July , July 4th

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5260550 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Thanks Pat, and Happy 4th of July!

#5260751 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Had a nice 4th today but was on the cool side. Was just 70º about an hour ago. Had about 10 drops of rain last night.

Hi Marg! Thanks Marg & you too!

Marnee, Thanks and to you too! We must have had down in the 50′s too cause the comforter felt good on the bed last night. They are saying 49º for tonight in some of the outer areas…………… Your deck looks so inviting with all those pretties hanging there.Perfect for morning coffee!The little guy is getting a big dose of energy for the morning.

Hi Janis, So nice to see you posting. Too bad about your Butterfly bushes. You know dh thought the winter had gotten our too but looked close & found a bit of life.They are doing fine now………….Now I beg to differ with you about the pictures. If this old gal can figure it out, anybody could.You never know what you are going to get.

Terry, So nice that your kids are at Disney again.Glad that didn’t meet Arthurtiny-smileys-yesemoticons-006

Pat,Glad you liked the picture. Anyone could do it, they are already in the templet on this one site I use & all you have to do is put the pic. into it…………..Oh, I just love that shot of the water. You can see forever………..Thanks Pat, and to you too!

These are from Janis. I made this up a while ago.

photo 123.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 5,446 through 5,460 (of 5,716 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.