WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,844 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  surferdude_FL 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,296 through 5,310 (of 5,845 total)
  • Author
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, we are starting out at 56 ° with patchy marine clouds. However, the cloud cover is expected to burn off by afternoon. We should have sunshine by afternoon and daytime highs are expected to be near 78 degrees; slightly warmer than yesterday.

Marilyn, those are some lovely churches and those windows are really beautiful.

Terry, the shrimp and fresh tomato sounds delicious.
    I didn’t watch any golf this weekend; but the payoff for third place sounds pretty good go me.

We stopped for gas on the way home yesterday and it was $3.76 per gal; I noticed that it’s running from $3.76 to $3.89 at nearby stations.

Today is day four of roofing; also getting some new rain gutters. Glad we are having it done now as they found a leak by one of the vents.

Over the weekend we deadheaded the last of the rhododendrons and also trimmed it down a little. We shouldn’t have planted it so close to the house but that was years ago and we didn’t realize then how big they can grow. Over the years I have kept it trimmed so it does not touch the house and does not get so tall. However, I let it go for a couple years so it was just getting to big and was getting taller than the rain gutters.

Hi to all yet to post.

Have a great day everyone.

#5149936 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 55 with a light rain and humid.  It didn’t amount to anything and finally cleared off this afternoon getting to 77 and windy.

I went out to pull weeds this evening and the ground is so saturated it is squishy, but the weeds come out easily.

Terry,  Most farmers are still putting corn in here.  Regular hay cutting hasn’t started yet, but my friends put up some poorer quality hay as haylage and are plowing up the fields for corn.  After this last rain it will be a few days to dry out since we have heavy red clay soil here.

Marilyn,  beautiful pics of the churches!

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5149990 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Just lost a post???????????? Nice sunny day here except for a shower that lasted a few minutes but really came down.Was expecting rain tomorrow but just heard it was canceled.

Terry,I would have gladly settled for 3rd in the golf.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-085

Marnee, We were in Youngstown Ohio today & got gas there for $3.69. Here at home it was $3.79 and $3.89tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-082

Pat, You really must have had a lot of rain.

This is a real mish-mash. Three were taken here at home but don ‘t have a clue on the first one. Or maybe it’s just a senior moment.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-093

1.???????????? 2.apple tree up on the hill 3. marina down on local river 4. taken by youngest dd[frozen waterfall]

photo 123.gif

#5150061 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, its 55° and cloudy this morning, with a chance of some drizzle.  Our cloud cover is expected to clear by my mid-afternoon and our daytime highs should be in the upper 60s lower 70s.

Marilyn, nice collage; I don’t always remember the name of some plants either, especially if the plant isn’t in my yard.

The gutter and roofing project is done; they finished early yesterday afternoon and I’m happy with the results.

Some of my bearded irises are blooming

Hope everyone has a great day.

#5150107 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  A beautiful day here so far w/ temps only in upper 70sto low 80s but storms from the midwest arriving later this afternoon!  Hope it wont get too bad!  Then it will get cooler again for a few days.  Sure has bern nice & not too hot yet!

Mm, love the rose in your avatar pic!

Marilyn, like the collage!

Pat, hope it dries out some for the farmers at least!

Hi Terry!  Hi Hiker!  Hi Posy!

Hi to Janis, Tina, Sharon, MaryAnn & those who have not posted here lately!  LATER, GATORS!

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by margba margba.
    #5150261 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  It was 56 here this morning, lower humidity, windy and got to a beautiful 75 today.  We were planning on going kayaking, but it was too windy….maybe tomorrow.

Marilyn,  Your pics are beautiful!

Marnee,  Your bearded Iris’s are beautiful!  I don’t have any yellow ones, but my purple ones are budding now.

I am having some computer problems so may be here on an off.  I have to drop the laptop off at DS’s to go over one of these days.

Have  a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5150289 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Start out in the 60s this morning but did make it to the low 80′s Are to have a couple nights with slightly cooler nights.

Pat, I think I might just owe you an apology. I think I might have claimed one of your pics. as my own. If I did I’m really sorry. My youngest DD likes to take nature shots and especially waterfalls. I saw the pic & thought it must be Cindy’s but I  remember I posted a couple pics. for you when you were having problems. I do see a couple people in this & I don’t remember that hers had people around.I tried to keep my pics. in separate folders nice & newt. WELL…………that didn’t last too long.redface

Marnee,Your irises are beautiful.

Hi Marg!We had a slight shower this morning but then warmed up.I even had the a/c on

Pat,Sorry about your computer problems.sad

I finally got an updated couple of pictures of the Eagle nest in Pittsburgh, Pa.They were hatched around the middle of March.

photo 123.gif

#5150445 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 66 cool degrees, it’s 86 partly cloudy degrees now. I went out and watered all of our container plants this morning. it has been dry for  four days. I mowed the grass for the third time this season and then worked on a driveway berm and the overhanging bushes along the water slew for three hours. I took up 50 bricks, I need to do that many more before filling in with dirt and replacing the bricks.

DW and GS picked dewberries and huckleberries both days that he was here, he enjoyed eating them. We were able to drive to the fishing point yesterday and then let GS play on the swings at the boat launch after our walk. He enjoyed watching the little pigs, goats and squirrels while we were there.

Marnee…We really enjoyed our shrimp, there’s another tomato about ready to pick, these are Husky Cherry Red tomatoes, they’re about the size of a ping pong ball. Our Big Bertha Peppers are getting bigger, they’ll be good in salads or stuffed.

Pat…..I’m not up on when farmers plant but DW sure knows when certain crops should be ready for the market.

Marilyn….Golfers have a hard life with all of the traveling they do, placing in the top five places sure helps out. We keep our AC on now but I did switch to heat when DW took her morning bath today, she was chilly at  68 indoor degrees.

Terry

#5150507 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

It was up in the low 70s but just looked on the porch, it is down to 56º with a slow drizzle so we just might turn the heat on in the morning to take off the chill, cause when it rains it always seems damp & colder to me.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-003

Terry, I guess you would need to keep you AC on when it is warm. We didn’t have air when we lived down there. Maybe back then it didn’t exist IDK. I was young then anyway, I could have stood the heat. Now it’s a little different.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-060

These are my Iris. This year I remembered to get a pic. before they faded. One year they looked kind of sad by the time I got out there.

photo 123.gif

#5150511 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, its a lovely sunny day with blue skies and our temperature is 72° just a lovely day all around.

Thanks Marilyn and Pat, glad you liked the flowers. Something is always blooming here from early spring through fall.  I haven’t bought any hanging baskets yet this year as I wanted to wait until the roofing and painting is done.

The roofer did do a magnetic sweep when they were finished and today I found one nail. I had an old pair of shoes I use around the yard and when I came inside I took them off and looked to see what was sticking to the side of the shoe and it was a nail. It just went through the side sole of the shoe; it was my lucky day it missed my foot.

Yesterday the painter had the house pressed washed; hope the weather stays nice and they can start on the painting soon.

Marilyn, those are great pictures from the Eagles nest.

Terry, fresh tomatoes sound really good.

#5150746 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 65 degrees, it’s 85 overcast degrees now, it was sunny while I was outside working. I spent two hours moving dirt and bricks this morning, the area I’m working in has full sun :-( I spent a hour looking at what I had done and making plans on how to proceed with the project.

Marilyn…..We’ve had AC for all of the 47 years since we’ve been married, our first year was a rental house with a window unit, all three of our homes  had central heat and air.  We don’t open our windows unless there’s a power outage.

Marnee….I have a strong magnet to check for nails after people work on the roof or use nails of any kind. Joyce loves tomatoes, she even likes the aroma of the plants, she smells the tomatoes as if they were fragrant flowers :-)

Terry

#5150785 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, its 58° and cloudy this morning. We have a pattern of morning clouds and afternoon sun set up just about every day this week and through this weekend. However, skies are expected to be mostly sunny this afternoon with daytime highs around 75 degrees.

Marilyn, for some reason I missed seeing your beautiful Irises they are beautiful.

Terry, the contractor did go over with a magnet but wouldn’t you know if they missed one I would find it. Guess I could have used your magnet.

I have to take Lollie to the Vet today for a follow-up visit.

Hi to all yet to post.

#5150866 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  It was 57 here this morning, sunny and a light breeze.  It got to 78.  There are rain showers heading this way, but they look like they are breaking up as they enter our county.

There is alot of hay cut now so I’m sure the farmers hope it doesn’t rain.  I love the smell of fresh cut hay.

Marilyn,  I kind of thought that pic looked like my GKs at the Ice Caves, but that’s OK….files get mixed up for me too.   I’m glad all three eaglets made it!  Your Iris’s are beautiful!  Mine are only buds yet.

Marnee,  I’m glad that nail didn’t go into your foot.  We have one of those rolling magnets.  There was an old stack of boards and  stuff where the horse pasture is now.  After it was cleared away I used the magnet there, but still don’t trust it to be nail free so fenced that part off.  One of our cows once stepped on a roofing nail, it went all the way in, although she never limped, but she died from it.
    I hope Lollie has a good check up.

We went kayaking the last two days…….yesterday to Otter Lake, but there were too many fishermen out with boats.  I saw an Osprey flying low, but when I tried to take a pic, my camera said NO CARD!!  That is the second time I did that.  lol!

Today we went to Paint Creek which runs into Lake Wissota.  I’ve paddled the lake before, but not the creek.  It was pretty, but will be pretty scummy soon, as the water doesn’t run fast enough.  I saw two deer, mud turtles and I think a Northern Mockingbird.  It was too far away for an identifying pic, but it sure sang nice.

I dropped my laptop off this morning at DS’s and picked it up on the way back.  He said my computer had been hacked!  He said it came through Photobucket because I have such a slow uploading  internet.  Anyway, it is all cleaned up now with some kind of additional protection on it.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5150889 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Had a real nice day here but was on the cool side. I don’t think it made it out of the 60s here but di hear on the radio it went into the low 70′s. Is supposed to go down to 45º tonight. That is kind of cool after having 80s.

Marnee, I missed you last night. I think for some reaso9n I got on here a little earlier than usual. That could have been so bad if that nail went into your foot. You had a little angel on your shoulder that time.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-010I just wish the Iris would last longer.

Terry, I always liked the open windows & fresh air when I was younger. Now that I’m older I don’t tolerate the heat so welltiny-smileys-yesemoticons-004

Pat, That is a shame about your laptop. I don’t know what paople get out of that by hacking private people. I can see them trying to get info from company computers. I guess they have nothing better to do.

photo 123.gif

#5150891 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Oops! I forgot to tell you, that is from Janis!

photo 123.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 5,296 through 5,310 (of 5,845 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.