WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,565 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by mmarnee mmarnee 51 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 5,071 through 5,085 (of 5,566 total)
  • Author

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 39 degrees with light frost, it’s  53 sunny degrees now. I put a plastic bag in the bottom of each tomato cage late yesterday and covered our vegetable plants for this mornings frost, I just uncovered them for the growing season. I also turned on the heat lights in the pump house just in case we got a hard freeze.

Marnee…We were happy with the way Bubba played, he didn’t mess up at the end :-) We also have a orange/red azalea from a nursery…..white native azaleas grow wild on our property,  pink and white ones are on the fishing camp property. Our area has so many thunderstorms, we call some of them “electrical storms” since they have so much lightning and just a little rain.

Marg….We had 7″-8″ of rain here, some areas recorded 9″.

Marilyn…..Maybe you put the gauge under a sink or in a closet :?:

Terry

#5132780 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, going to try this again I had typed a response and before I could hit submit everything I typed disappeared.

We started with showers and temps in the 40s, and showers. It’s now around 55° with overcast skies. Scattered showers are expected to continue this afternoon and decrease this evening.

Marg, did you get any snow?

Marilyn, good pictures from the ship; those dogs really do an amazing job. I was really sad to read this morning a Portland K-9 was shot to death this morning. The officer’s  was also shot and his injuries were not life-threatening. The suspect was caught after a massive search.  Really sad especially for the officer as those dogs are really a part of their family.

Terry, are you using plastic or cloth covering for your plants? I thought plastic allows the ground heat to escape and leaves the plants colder.

Pat, my sister bought an Easter Lily for us.

This morning I noticed my allergies were starting to kick in so the plant has a new home on the patio table where we can see it from most of the house.

Hi to all yet to post.

#5132903 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Marnee….I use plastic bags but don’t let them touch the plants. I put the bags over the plants after the sun  is almost down and  remove them before it comes up enough to cause the plants to overheat.  Most plants can take cold temperatures but not frost :-)

Terry

#5132915 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs! It did snow here last evening & last night!  About 1″ but it quickly melted except on my deck & steps!   Lol!  Cold all day, too!  Was in the 20s overnight & not much above the low 30s all day.  Also fairly windy out but sunny,

Hi, Mm, love the pic!  Nice you got the lily from dd!

Marilyn, like your pics, too!

Hi Terry!  Quite a lot of rain you got down there!

Hi Pat!  Are you cold again out there?  We sure are!

Hi Sharon!  Looked like you got snow, btoo!

Hi to Janis, Hiker, Posy, Tina, MaryAnn, Lizzie, Laurel & all who havent posted here in a while!  LATER, GATORS,

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by margba margba.
    #5133072 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi Everyone! Started at 22º this morning and never went out of the 30s. Was nice & sunny. It is to go to 30º tonight. We will soon see!

Terry, We look high & low for that darned thing.tiny-smileys-yesemoticons-036

Marnee, That’s a gorgeous Easter Lily. Is that ornament on the wall one made by a family member? Looks nice there!

Hi Marg!

These are also from Lisa’s cruise.

photo 123.gif

#5133241 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 50 degrees, it’s 64 overcast degrees now with rain on it’s way for later today. I paid $3.60 for regular when I filled up my truck this morning. Our plants look good this morning, the cool temperatures didn’t hurt them.

Our Bleeding Heart has one  white flower that has a red part sticking out of the center this morning, it looks like that will open to expose the inner flower parts….it’s bleeding :-)

Our GS will be staying with us Friday so his dad can do a teachers planning day while the students are out of school.

Marilyn….I’ve got stuff around here that’s put away for safe keeping, I’ll never find it,  I will just end up buying new again :lol:

Terry

#5133268 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good morning everyone, it’s raining and temperatures are starting out in the low 50s this morning.  We don’t expect it to warm up much with steady rainfall throughout the day and our daytime high are expected to only be in the mid 50s.

Terry, Portland’s newest bridge across the Willamette River is now officially called Tilikum Crossing, a Chinook word that means people, tribe and relatives. The bridge is scheduled to open next year. It’s unique in that will carry light rail, streetcars, buses, bikes and pedestrians, but be off-limits to private vehicles.

Thanks Marilyn, I enjoyed your pictures from  Lisa’s cruise.  You ask about the hummingbird sculpture on the wall; it’s some of the metal art sculptures my nephew made. I tired to get a picture this morning of that wall and my picture isn’t the best as it’s a gloomy day here.

Photo

Hi Janis, Pat, Posy, Sharon, Marg, Grace, Mary Ann, Hiker, Tina and all that follow.

#5133276 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi Terry, Marnee, and all who follow..

beautiful day here… sun is out.. hung out a load of laundry and have the electric blankets out on the line airing out… finally a nice day with out high winds.

Cleaning out closets here… getting ready for a garage sale in May.  And of course still cleaning out at the farm.  How does one collect so much junk.. errrrrrrrr um stuff…lolol

Fed my birdies this morning and the swans.. I think they are nesting just down from us this year.  It will be nice to see the babies.

Part of our yard needs mowed.  Its crazy as a month ago it was covered with snow. 

Daffs are blooming and some of my other flowers are peeking through the ground.

Marnee  that is a neat new bridge. I love your lilies… oh so pretty..

Hello to everyone else.. have a great day

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by CatsBirds CatsBirds.
    #5133285 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL WBs!  We started out at 35 degrees and are going to a cloudy 45.  There was a mix of snow and rain this morning, but we didn’t get much…….two inches they said.  Northern WI got 15 inches of snow!

Marnee,  awesome pics of the eclipse of the moon!  I love the Easter Lily and the wall sculptures.  I am so sorry about the shooting of the police dog.  It is just so sad.
    That is a neat bridge.

My allergies are kicking up again too, but before I got my new plant.

Marilyn,  pretty pics of the cruise!

Sharon,  I am getting ready for a thrift sale in May too.  I have never had one before so this going to be a big one with all the stuff I want to get rid of.

I think we can put our rain gauge out already  I will have to look for it too.

Since nothing is blooming around here ( may be in someone’s yard in town)  I went out and bought myself some spring yesterday.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5133541 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi everyone! Started out in the 30s this morning and rose to 64º and lots of sun, but still a nip in the air [for me]. Might get rain in the night or early morning. At least that doesn’t need the shovel.lol

Terry, That must be what we did. Put it away so good we can’t find it.evil

Marnee,The wall ornaments are gorgeous. I thought I remembered them being made by a family member but couldn’t remember who.

Sharon It will be nice to see baby swans again.

Pat, The flowers are so lovely! And love the color.Easter smileys

These are from Janis.

photo 123.gif

#5133676 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Hi WWBs!  Chilly again overnight & this morning!  Temps Iin low 30s again last night, so had to turn heat on.  Only to get to the low 50s today!  Getting a little cloudy out now, too! 

Mm, love your Easter lily & the bridge!

Marilyn, like your pic collage!

Pat, pretty hyacynth!  Sorry you have no blooms yet!  Here we only have crocuses, daffs, now forsythia & a few tulips are just starting to open up!  It was very late for the crocuses, etc, this yr to come out & they have lasted longer than I can ever remember!

Hi Sharon, hope you ‘re getting a few blooms by now!

Hi Terry!  Hope you’ve wsrmed up some by now, too!

Hi to Janis, Hiker! Posy, Tina, MaryAnn & all who have not posted in a while!  LATER, GATORS!

#5133808 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi ALL  WBs!   It was 33 degrees here this morning and is going to 50 with hazy sun…..not much wind so feels pretty good out there.

Marilyn,  Pretty pics from Janis!  She’d better tell that RT Hummer and RH Woodpecker to start heading north!  lol!   They usually arrive the first couple of weeks in May.

Have a great day everyone!

Pat ~ West Central WI

#5133865 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Good afternoon everyone, Happy Good Friday!

After morning low clouds the skies have cleared and it partly sunny and our temps have warmed to 63° and we have a light breeze.

I went out to lunch with one of my sisters, we went to the Olive Garden. I had the Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo and it was really good.

Sharon, I have collected my share of junk over the years; now when I see something I like I make myself stop and think if it’s something I really need.

Thanks Pat, glad you liked the pictures; I love the color of your hyacinth and I love your Easter bunny.

Marilyn, great pictures, Janis had hummers again and the peacocks are back.

Thanks Marg, the Easter Lily has a few more blooms on it today; guess it likes it on the patio.

Hi to all yet to post.

Have a great day everyone.

#5133872 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

Mm, meant to comment on your pic of the sculptures on the wall that your neph made you!  You must really enjoy those!  Garden sculptures of all types are the rage, as I am sure you must know!  Kind of chilly out today & this evening!

Hi Sharon!

#5133931 Report Abuse
    4mybackyardpa5
    4mybackyardpa5
    Participant

Hi there! Turned out to be a nice day after looking a lot like rain off & on today, no rain and a little sun. Got to 68º after starting around 40º Green buds and daffodils are starting to show up!

Hi Marg!

Hi Pat!Cute bunny rabbit.Easter smileys

Hi Marnee!

Lisa & dh have reached the first of three ports.

photo 123.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 5,071 through 5,085 (of 5,566 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.