WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

Home Forums Backyard Chat General WEATHER BIRDS FIRST ANNUAL BACKYARD BIRD BASH

This topic contains 5,928 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  surferdude_FL 28 minutes ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 5,929 total)
  • Author
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

43°F· 

Sunrise: 7:23am

Sunset: 4:32pm

Good Morning Janis and everyone, it’s a little on the cool side however we have a little sunshine and it isn’t raining for a change. It looks really nice outside with some bright daylight again.

Janis, great bird pictures today and that’s a beautiful home, I love the stained glass and lovely arrangement on the piano.

JW2, I’m happy to hear your family is all together now. Your sunrise sounded gorgeous, it seems whenever I don’t have my camera along I find something I really want a picture of.

Posy, sounds like you had a very nice birthday. We took Lollie along with us for the day yesterday. She usually only likes to ride in her kennel but yesterday she rode most of the way by my side. By the time we went home she was so tired she just went into her kennel and we didn’t hear anything from her until we arrived home.

I do believe I may need to have a nap I was up at 4AM for shopping this morning.

Here are a couple pictures of another Hummer that visited yesterday.

#4543952 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

We started at 37 degrees, it’s  67 sunny degrees now. I went to Tractor Supply at 6:30 this morning and  got a special deal on a gas  Poulan Pole pruner, it has  chain saw and weed eater attachments and was just $149, it also has a extension that  makes it 12′ long. The same combo was $250 at Lowe’s and Home Depot last month but didn’t have the extra extension…..great deal! I can buy other attachments(blower, tiller, edger, etc.) and put them on this power head.

We took four large trash bags of clothes to the Water Front mission store this morning, Joyce  found a brand new Conair curling/dryer iron there  just like the one she has now. Her old one’s about to die, the new one was just $3  :-) Our  turkey is in the rotisserie and should be done at 3:30 PM, we’ll watch some LSU football today.

Janis…..When the topic heading changes, I don’t catch up to it, I always look for the same old heading LOL. Deck pants  and shoes( white sneakers) are what people wore when  on their yachts and  boats in the 50′s/60′s. The pants were just below the knee and had a small slit on the sides, much like “petalpushers”  that  women wore back then.  Men didn’t wear PP’s but  had to have short legged pants that wouldn’t  get wet on the boat decks. Sneakers,  white deck shoes and tennis shoes were all the same to us  :-)

Terry

#4543956 Report Abuse

birdingbloomer
    Participant
    Today
    Partly Cloudy 66 °F
    Partly Cloudy
    Now
    Clear
    Clear
    Tonight
    Partly Cloudy 45 °F
    Partly Cloudy

Hello Weather Birds!![:)]

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! 

Welcome, Hiker!:)  I’m squinting to see your name on the Weather Map, but I can’t see it yet.

It is very warm here.  There are many bird activities outside & many human activities inside. 

We’re all missing MAC (Maryann) and her dog—our very own Weather Dog—-Lucky.

Done a lot of looking up to heaven for the ones passed & the ones still here as we are all under the same glorious canopy.  Birds in the sky during day & stars during night.

It was a clear night after Thanksgiving dinner & afer the last dish washed at midnight.  I saw many stars, the constellation Orion–so beautiful

—the brightly lit birthday candles in the night sky for Posy & Meme [^] & many on the BYC.  Hope all their wishes come true!:)

Venus is in the SW & bright Jupiter in the East at 124° apart and closing & will pass each other March 2012.  I wonder if that day might be anyone’s birthday here.

Dare I paste another sky chart & wish for clear nights for all of us?

Hope I didn’t jinx ourselves again.[:D]

PS: Janis, alas, I’m no expert on Native American pony beads…wish I were…but I do have some necklaces by the Native Americans…and plastic ones which I use in crochet. 

Hello everyone!! [W]

#4543957 Report Abuse
    jcolbert40
    jcolbert40
    Participant

Just heard on the grapevine that you’re having a bash!  I’m coming and bringing some friends…

My name photo Myname.gif

#4543959 Report Abuse

birdingbloomer
    Participant

Hello Weather Bird Bashers!![:)]

Welcome, JoColbert.  I see your turkey lipped friends.:)  One of my girlfriends used to call us turkey lips.[:-*]

It’s 66 degrees & very warm.

The following are the “The Day after Thanksgiving” pictures along a drive to market for more veggies:

I just had to stop to take a pic of these two big birds in the sky…my best shot for fast flying big birds:

Below them are someone’s  Rose of Sharons which are reblooming:

Lower still on the grass … is a fuzzy weed:

Another weed that has spines which I did touch & “yes, it is prickly”:

On the way back to home…snapped a shot of a green field:

The grass is always greener on the other side??

Hello Everyone!![W]

#4543964 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Can I join too???? Here is my contribution for the day………. our swans are flying now………..and Daddy always leads the way…

Sharon

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#4543965 Report Abuse
    appleK
    appleK
    Participant

It was a wonderful day here in Central NY; 64* and sunshine.

Red Bellied Woodpecker on the large suet feeder today and always woodpeckers on the others…..LOVE watching those birds!

Even got a cardigan sweater with chick-a-dees on it for todays birthday!  :O)

#4543967 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Hi All WWs!  We have had two nice days in a row getting up to 50º today, but cloudy.  It is going to change tomorrow with wind, rain/snow and falling temps.

Happy Belated Birthday Posy!

I never go shopping on Black Friday, but we always go get our Christmas tree that we cut ourself.  After Christmas it will go outside for the birds.

I enjoyed looking at the beautiful pics and  reading Janis’  commentary.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#4543969 Report Abuse
    MtnBabe
    MtnBabe
    Participant

Hi, friends and neighbors. We’ve been having beautiful weather at 7000 feet elevation in Colorado. Lots of bird activity in honor of the Backyard Bird Bash. I saw a pair of big ones like Tina’s today, plus lots of magpies and many robins.

Unfortunately, I just took the dogs out and discovered that it is snowing. Not good. I must leave before daylight for our pet rescue group’s annual Pictures With Santa fundraising event in Estes Park. I have to pick Santa up on the way, so I’m not looking forward to driving the 3 miles of one-lane dirt road to get down to the paved road before dawn. Then navigating the icy switchbacks into Estes. 

Maybe Santa can pick me up instead. You know, in his sleigh? LOL 

The Babe

#4543973 Report Abuse

birdingbloomer
    Participant

Welcome to Sharon & her low flying Daddy Swan, Wow!:)

And to Apple K  & her downy wookpeckers!  Happy Birthday, Apple K (Kathie)!! [^] We’re having a Bird Bash & Weather Birders’ Birthday Bash as you well know.:)

Hi Pat – no Black Friday shopping for me either!  I don’t want to end up on national news like last night’s.

[quote user="MtnBabe"]I must leave before daylight for our pet rescue group’s annual Pictures With Santa fundraising event in Estes Park. [/quote]

That’s so cool MtnBabe (Jill) !! :)   You mean like this?

[quote user="MtnBabe"]

I have to pick Santa up on the way, so I’m not looking forward to driving the 3 miles of one-lane dirt road to get down to the paved road before dawn. Then navigating the icy switchbacks into Estes. 

[/quote]

I sure hope so , so you can fly with Rudolf leading the way, lol.   Never heard of Santa having to be picked up & driven in a road vehicle, lol!  Keep us posted on your predawn adventure, MtnBabe! 

#4543976 Report Abuse

JJ93volvo
    Participant

[quote user="birdingbloomer"]

Welcome to Sharon & her low flying Daddy Swan, Wow!:)

And to Apple K  & her downy wookpeckers!  Happy Birthday, Apple K (Kathie)!! Cake We’re having a Bird Bash & Weather Birders’ Birthday Bash as you well know.:)

Hi Pat – no Black Friday shopping for me either!  I don’t want to end up on national news like last night’s.

[quote user="MtnBabe"]I must leave before daylight for our pet rescue group’s annual Pictures With Santa fundraising event in Estes Park. [/quote]

That’s so cool MtnBabe (Jill) !! :)   You mean like this?

[quote user="MtnBabe"]

I have to pick Santa up on the way, so I’m not looking forward to driving the 3 miles of one-lane dirt road to get down to the paved road before dawn. Then navigating the icy switchbacks into Estes. 

[/quote]

I sure hope so!  Never heard of Santa having to be picked up & driven in a road vehicle, lol!  Keep us posted on your predawn adventure, MtnBabe! 

[/quote]

Tina you never cease to impress……absolutely amazing,,,,and they stayed away from the birds…LOL

Today

Partly cloudy. High
    17C. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Sun and clouds mixed. High 64F. Winds SSW at
    5 to 10 mph.

64 High

47 Low

20 %

Sunrise Sunset
    7:16 am
    5:09 pm.
    30F but I’m not so sure about the rest of the forecast as the sky was red this AM…..
    Has anyone heard from Marilyn? Sure hope that she’s feeling all right…we’ll say a prayer in case she’s under the weather……like this guy……
    Posy happy birthday again…sure hope that you had fun…did they like the cranberry bread? DH would like to have a Jack Russel once we take up root somewhere…LOL
    Mmarnee what a cute hummer….be careful one of the regulars doesn’t sit on him seeing as how little he is…LOL….your hummers are usually huge compared to our ruby throat….but this rufous will be king this summer if he stays and can crush a ruby also as he’s heavier…..
    JW that’s nice that you got the family in one spot….might make things a little easier….hopefully you took your camera yesterday for the beautiful day in Mn. I’ll just bet that the birds took a horse back ride yesterday also…..
    Terry that was a good deal on the pole prunner etc….for your ongoing battle with the trees and bushes encroaching on your river banks…LOL…it’s not hard to fill up bags to take to the centers…I save things year round to do this as it seems like it’s needed more around the holidays…..
    Tina the grass always LOOKS greener…..in 1968 I climbed to a mt. top pasture that looked so much greener only to be disappointed with all the stuff that wasn’t grass….LOL…ever walk on zoyzia grass? like an outdoor piled rug…..so soft….loved all your memories….and the skys photo…will be sure to look for Jupiter and Mercury…..and the prickley plant could be thistle….
    Pat that is a great tradition…I can almost smell your tree…..and then to give it to the birds is a great thing….we felled a tree and topped others last year and left some piles and there is a cardinal that has claimed each pile….one reason they are easier to photograph is that they were raised here and seem to tolerate me better than their folks….
    appleK Happy birthday to you…and thanks for sharing your woodpecker…..just make sure he doesn’t get into the mash….LOL….these guys are a rowdy bunch taking those shots for us……
    Catbird that is one awesome looking bird….what a treat…but don’t tell George…he thinks he’s favorite……don’t swans mate for life? Looks like they took the camera up to give us some aerial views……
    that looks like the Cathedral Cafe where we ate this past Tuesday….wonder if they knew?
    JColbert what a party your group made ….they’ve been at it all day…..and having a bash…..hope there’s enough for them to eat….there were cat calls when I had to put hummers food out this AM…they called him a pussy…LOLlook at this one cleaning up after one of their visits….LOL…
    Mtn. Babe that sure was a neat get up dogs and all that Tina conjured up for you….wasn’t that sweet? Hope that you had a safe and rewarding trip…..it was late 60′s when I took my chinchilla rabbit that I had found and adopted into Sears at Christmas for a photo of us with Santa…..no one was doing it with animals then and were surprised to say the least…lOL
    Please tell your birds to be on their best behavior because there will be pictures taken and posted for all to see….LOL….George C

#4543983 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Hi All,

It was 58 degrees this morning, it’s 68 sunny degrees now. We have a 40% chance of rain tonight and a 80% chance on Sunday. It’s like summer right now :-) We drove out to the church market this morning, they weren’t there, went to the post office at 9:00AM, they don’t open until 10:00AM….Joyce just left to mail a important check to do with my  new retirement insurance. Our turkey turned out great, all we had  was that, cornbread dressing and sliced cranberry sauce…..we’ll have more of the same today and  Sunday :-)

We enjoyed the LSU win, now if Alabama and FSU can win their games. It won’t matter in the FSU-UF game, neither team is ranked LOL

Janis…….That pruner was a “true special”, that’s the only thing I bought.  This is the time of the year to buy the other attachments at reduced clearance prices, I might look around.  We still have more clothes and other things to take to the mission store, just need time to get started. We’ve got all kinds of  Christmas ceramics, lights and ornaments that need to go……we put up a 32″ fiber optics tree now, nothing else.

Terry

#4543988 Report Abuse

birdingbloomer
    Participant

Hello Weather Bird Bashers!![:)]

Janis – another very nice commentary that went well with your  fly-by pics, sunrise, & bird pictures!  That’s a good one of the Blue Jay sunning.  Thank you!!:)

Terry, I’m only supposed to say, “War Eagle!” for my DD who was in the Auburn Marching Band.  I haven’t watched football since she graduated over 2 yrs ago. 

I’m going to be scarce here.  Need to seriously cram-study.  Sigh.

I hope Marilyn is just busy like everyone else during this time of year.  But hope she drops in sometime.  I’ve always enjoyed her framed works of art & commentaries.

Hello Everyone!![W]

#4543993 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

Currently  53°F

Cloudy

Sunrise:   7:24am

Sunset:     4:31pm

Good morning Janis and everyone, today is supposed to be a great weather day with partly to mostly cloudy skies and mild. We expect temperatures to warm into the mid 50s and it may be a little breezy at times and we have some sunlight.

Welcome, JoAnn , Sharon, & Katie

Great shot of the turkey Parade JoAnn and Sharon that was also a great shot of the swan.

Happy Birthday Katie and Meme!

Hi Pat, I just did a little Black Friday Shopping and everyone here was well behaved. Thousands of people go shopping and the news seems to just tell us about the nasty ones.

Janis, great pictures as usual, beautiful sky, birds and great aerial views.  The Blue Jay looks more than a little under the weather, looks like it’s under a brick.

Tina, that’s a wonderful slide show of the pets and their humans.

I always enjoy the sky charts and if we don’t have a cloud cover its interesting to check out what we can see from here. Great capture of the many stars, in the night sky with my camera

I can never get the stars to show on my pictures. I also enjoyed your after Thanksgiving pictures.

BTW the Oregon Ducks and Beavers football game is on this afternoon.

MtnBabe, wow I’m really impressed you are helping out Santa you should really be getting a good Christmas present this year. 

Marilyn, I hope you will post soon we are really missing you.

Hi Terry, that was very nice taking the clothes to the mission store, I’m sure they really appreciate it. Last year we cleaned out and took boxes of things to Goodwill guess we should do that again.

I have to go the football game is on.

Hope everyone has a good day.

#4544005 Report Abuse
    mmarnee
    mmarnee
    Participant

My Hydrangea today

Some of them have almost lost their color

And others refuse to give up.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 5,929 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.