3rd set of pictures of the blown glass wear

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat 3rd set of pictures of the blown glass wear

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Grandmaof2 Grandmaof2 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    snowwolf57
    snowwolf57
    Participant

Here is another set of pictures of the blown glass at the Denver Botanical Gardens and Lair got it right I tried to keep the buildings out of the pictures I figured all the years that Lair lived in Denver he got to the gardens pretty often.   The Blown Glass of Dave Chihily is famous all over the world and the display of these works at the gardens are there till the end of November and I am sure these will be amazing with snow on the ground and the lights on them in the winter for sure.  I am hoping to get to the winter meeting that I have there and see them again for they are truly amazing .  Now to more pictures

signature_2.gif photo signature_11_zpsd05916a9.gif

#5275019 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I also wonder how they transport those huge pieces?  They certainly are gorgeous and they would be beautiful with snow.

I visited Lair several times when he lived in Denver and we never once visited the botanical gardens.  I guess we were just happy sitting and visiting and enjoying his beautiful yard.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5275028 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Wow…. just amazing to see these… and amazing someone can make them…Thanks for sharing them.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5275111 Report Abuse
    bwatcher
    bwatcher
    Participant

I sent my DD an email with the links to all your pictures here, and a link to the botanical gardens website. She and her boyfriend are going to Denver over Labor Day weekend for his cousin’s wedding. I told her if they got the chance they should go see these beautiful pieces of art.

#5275175 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Beautiful pictures, great.  Good question how do they move them.

Carol

#5275202 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I am amazed that one person did all of that! I am sure I will never make it there but I have drooled over each and every one of your pictures!

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#5275203 Report Abuse
    SandraRW
    SandraRW
    Participant

Chihuly! You are so lucky to see his large work.  As a retired art teacher, I know his work well. I have been fortunate to see some of his work and met him at a reception of a show many years ago. I actually have a signed book of his work, too.  I saw some of his garden  pieces in a botanical garden in Chicago a long time ago too. His work is indoors and outdoors. Vegas has a good indoors one.  He and his team of glass blowers really advanced the art of glass blowing.  I learned in college but the most intricate thing I made was a crooked goblet!!!!!   Most of his works are made in pieces and assembled when they arrive. He resides in Washington state. He mostly does the ideas and his team makes the pieces. Due to an auto accident he has lost vision in one eye so his visual field is limited and hot glass is dangerous.

#5275211 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

I really like the tree type sculptures.  Two things come to mind, first how would you dust those mothers?  Secondly, In Denver where they have so much hail I am wondering how they are protected from damage.  Can you imagine running out in the hail and trying to bring one of those inside. lol  Reminds me of the time it started hailing and I threw a huge stainless steel mixing bowl over my head and ran out to save my Fuschia.  Plant did great but I could hear for a week.  Lair

#5275213 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

My friend sent pix from Phoenix garden a few years ago.  They are so delicate.

Pictures of the glass blower at the Iowa State Fair. Interesting.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5275265 Report Abuse
    Grandmaof2
    Grandmaof2
    Participant

Beautiful. It is amazing what they can do. I would wonder, too, about storms. I don’t think they would survive some of the storms we get here, especially that hail that Lair mentioned.

DS#4 and I went to the Murano glass factory in Venice, Italy, while we were there and it was fascinating watching them.

Click for Orangeburg, South Carolina Forecast

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.