My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

This topic contains 78 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  barkey 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)
  • Author

ah64a
    Participant

[quote user="ah64a"]

WOW now that is a lot of plants. LOL. My DW would KILL me if I try that.

[/quote]

HA! HA! HA! You got me good on this one!!!! HA! HA!

I seen that I posted here. But to the life of me could NOT REMEMBER posting this weekend. And I know I did’t have that many beers. I was going nuts trying to remember posting  Friday or last night.

[color=red] Then I looked at the date!! HA! HA! Good one[/color]

#4546189 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Gary a couple of the old posts were brought up again to help some of the new seed starting addicted folks to read.  I enjoy reading them again also as I seem to get something new from them each time.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4546204 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Bette…I have also re-read several of them and picked up a couple tips…who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks?  LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4546210 Report Abuse

tinaintn7
    Participant

Besides learning alot of seed starting info, i like to look at the post from 2 years ago to see who has come and gone since then and who is new.

#4548232 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I only wish mine looked so organized.

Bumping for those getting started now.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4648634 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bump

It’s that time of year again!

#4777617 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bump

It’s that time of year again! COME’ON SPRING

#4777722 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

In our dreams, Wendy!  Spring seems so far off right now.

I am glad you brought this back up again.  Perhaps it can be saved when the new board is brought in.

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#4798534 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Can this be moved to the All About Seeds forum?

#4810294 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

I do my seed starting just a little different than Charlene.  My stations are all down in the basement in a windowless room.  I have 6 fluorescent light fixtures.  I start by mixing up my soil – Scott’s Topsoil, which is really nice, soft and black.  Then I mix Seed Starting Mix with the soil – not equal proportions, then I add Vermiculite, and mix them all together.

I sow my seeds directly into cell-packs – ones with 4 compartments, mostly.  I have filled them with soil mix, set them in a pan of water, and let them soak.  Then sprinkle the seeds -not too thick, in each of the cells, press them down a little – those that need covering, I add a little soil mix, and then sprinkle it with water to soak the top, too.  I cover them with plastic wrap, and slip them into a tray under the light.

When they sprout, no matter how many, I take the plastic off to keep them from damping off.  They go under another light, which is lowered to about 2 inches above the plants.This is a picture of the sprouted cells.

When the seedlings have at least one set of true leaves – sometimes, a third set if they are really small – I transplant them into a 5 oz plastic cup, with holes poked in the bottom.  I mark each cup with a code letter or letters – C for Coleus, Ce for Celosia, CB for Canterbury Bells – put them in another tray and put them under the lights.

If the seedling is a larger plant, I transplant them into a 9 oz styrofoam cup.  As the smaller ones grow, I will transplant them either into the styro cup or a 4″ plastic pot where they will stay till time to go outside.

These are pictures of my setup.

My watering station.

This is what works for me.  I turn my lights on at 6:30 to 7:00 am and turn them off about 10:00 pm

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  hopscotch.
    • This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  hopscotch.
    #4811490 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Nice job Leroy.  It is great to see how each of us do it.  What is it they say if it works don’t fix it and it gives others a chance to many try different approaches after reading posts like this.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4814824 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Leroy….great job and what nice pics for others to follow instructions.  For those thinking about seed starting it is great to see that there are so many different ways to do it.  We all adapt to what we have available and what we are comfortable with.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4824029 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Leroy, my method is very similar.  I found starting the seeds in trays and then transferring them to cell packs when they have their second set of true leaves, sometimes sooner because I can’t wait lol, works best for me.

BTW, one Kong coleus from the seeds you sent has color in the center of its two tiny leaves. It’s so cute.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6.
    #5011683 Report Abuse

Pastor Mark
    Participant

Hey Charlene, only thing I do different in starting my seedlings, I usually make my own little pods, I have a tool I bought from Lee Valley 15 years ago, or so, is a pot maker, you take strips of news paper, and wrap around this thing squish the bottoms, and there yeah go a biodegradable little paper pot……….I buy seed start soils.

#5028913 Report Abuse

barkey
    Participant

Okay when what and how do you feed your seedlings?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.