My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

This topic contains 78 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  barkey 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

You are on the right track…Yes, the one set of shelves I have is the mini greenhouse, but I never use the cover for starting seeds.  I used it at first and found out that my plants were getting moldy because of no air.  If you have saran wrap, you do not need the cover.  Also, once they start germinating…take the saran wrap off.  At that point the air circulation is more important than the greenhouse atmosphere.  You are growing tomatoe seeds at this point…right?  They will grow for you no matter what you do.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524578 Report Abuse
    Jan
    Jan
    Participant

I am first reading this tonite also.  AND THANK YOU!!!!

Question — in one picture of shelves–is it a mini greenhouse also but without the cover?  I have the cover on mine & put the jiffy ‘starts’ inside.  I bought the flat jiffy cells & cut them into 12 cells & used the meat trays covered with sarah wrap.  Am I on the right track so far?

The Plantion Product I bought earlier–my already opinion—crap–not nearly as nice as the jiffy & the jiffy is more economical!!  Oh well–it’s a learning time for me.  Gotta take the good with the bad.

I am turning what I already have planted a qtr turn each night.

Thanks again Charlene

#4524571 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Charlene their is nothing none professional the way you do things, just you improvise with the vessels you us a little more than we do.  We all do the basics.  Plant the seed using the proper temp for them to germinate, put them under lights except Molly can move immediately to her greenhouse and transplant when they are ready.  I use styrofoam cups and where ever comes my when when they outgrow the cell packs.  Can’t do that to sell however so the timing becomes more critical or the expense of larger pots which I don’t have enough of left I am afraid.  I did not go to school for running a greenhouse.  Learned by trial and error like most everyone here.  What started as a hobby for DH and I grew into a business.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4524572 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Bette…I wish you were closer.  I have so many pots that people bring me…I am going to have to throw some this year.  I don’t do any for sale…just giving away, so those people don’t care if they are in styro cups…lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524569 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Kim…if you are planting in the 6 or 9 cell packs…that is fine.  Everything seems to be working for you.  Many others here do that as well.  I have good luck with the pellets, so I continue to use them.  I get the trays at Walmart, Lowe’s, or Mills Fleet Farm.  The last ones I got were $4.00 at Fleet farm…that includes tray, dome lid, and pellets.  They are normally 5 to 6 dollars.  I now have so many trays that I buy the 72 refill box for around $3.00.

Bette…I know both you and Molly have equipment left from when you were in business…and you also start and grow your seeds more professionally than I do….I just wanted to share…and like you said..”there is more than 1 way to skin a cat”..lol

Glory123…it sounds like you may be getting the seed itch as well….go for it!  If you have any questions feel free to post them on the board and someone will be glad to answer for you.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524566 Report Abuse

Glory123
    Participant

Wow.. What a great post. I have a small shelf in my mudroom I can bring in the house.( DH is gonna have a cow, hehehe) It has five shelfs but is skinny enough to fit in with my indoor plants.

I have never started seeds before. But I have a bunch of  seeds I can start.( I keep buying them when they are 10 or 20 cents a pac.)

Thanks for sharing Charlene.. Got to go do some Googling.

Carol

#4524565 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Great post Charlene.  I am just catching up on the weekend posts.  Everyone who starts seed no matter how inexperienced have something to share her and we all learn everyday.  I definitely agree with your idea of cooler temps but won’t have them until I go to the greenhouse.  It is cooler in my basement and plenty of room since my operation is totally portable but I just can’t do the stairs with my ankle.  I also have a problem out of site out of mind.  I think I use more of the standard greenhouse supplies as that is what I am accustom to and they all conform in size.  Even when we owned the big greenhouses space as always a concern so odd sizes took up too much room.  I still have the same problem and had most of the trays etc. I am using left from when we owned the business.  cell packs I am using are over 20years old and I hate to think how many times they have been use.

Again it is a great post and helps to show their is more than one way to skin a cat.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4524562 Report Abuse

kimmer58
    Participant

WOW IS THE ONLY THING THAT COMES TO MIND . . WOW!!  Now see I’ve learned so much from this post and the pics.    I also learned I”m a moron!

I’ve been planting my seeds in those 6 or 9 pack cells and I shouldn’t be from these pics.  Look like the cell packs are for transplants?!  I’m such an idiot . . ah oh well live and learn.  Then I also learned to mix up the peat mix in those swell up kind . . never have done that either. 

Now Charlene the 72 peat cell pack . . where did you get that from? In this area we have only the 36 count  for the peat cells.  Did you order that?   Also are you using ice cube trays too?

Wow you’re so good . . no wonder everything turns out so fine and gorgeous!

And Wendy …. it’s all good to get the SOD, SSD . . you’re helping to stimulate the economy!! Barack and congress will send you a thank you note  . . soon!!! LOL

#4524825 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

Thanks Charlene! I just had to go look again. Thought the newbies might enjoy this. Not sure I will ever be able to do this…I’m trying!    Gonna put my mini greenhouse and babies in an upstairs bedroom in a sunny south window. I already have some that have been transplanted up there.    Abey

#4524824 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

Bump

#4533772 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

[color=blue]  All I can say is that all of you are so committed and knowledgeable regarding this whole thing about  planting seeds, etc., most of the stuff I grow is sown directly in the ground, also love rhyzomes, bulbs, corms, etc.., they come back year after year without much work.  Last year I tried some seeds indoors (garage), used the plastic containers that the apples from Costco come in (made holes), and NOTHING much happened.  We’ll be going for 2+ weeks out of town…so maybe after that will try again…. THANK YOU FOR THE INFO [/color]

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#4533770 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wendy….I can’t believe how easy it is to get you fired up…just let me know and I’ll do what I can anytime…lol

Yes, this is the thread that got you going on your basement set up….I also thought it was much earlier than March.  You now have an entire growing season to try out your new basement laboratory…lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4533769 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Charlene, thank you so much for bumping this.  I’m sure this is one of the threads I added to Bette’s Gardners are the Greatest Improvisors post but I didn’t realize this post was the one that gave birth to my set up in the basement.  All the information and encouragement I got from this post. 

Can you believe it wasn’t until March last year?  This year I can get a whole two month’s head start.  I wasn’t sure exactly when I started last year.  I also needed the refresher to boost my motivaton to finally get started.  I’ve been saying “I gonna” for two weeks now.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4533766 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Bump for some more newbies to seed starting.  This is how I start seeds….I’m not saying it is the right way NOR the only way…it works for me and my accomodations.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4546155 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bump for 2012

Whoooooooohooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!  Here we go again!

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.