My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

This topic contains 78 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  barkey 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

LOL…Lair…I don’t know if I learned it from Mom…how did she know this stuff without internet?  lol  I have certainly done lots of research on each seed about germination and what conditions they like to grow.  The internet always gives more info than the seed packet does.  Yes, some of these are for you for your birthday….I think you will get about 2 dozen blooming Balsam by then….lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524509 Report Abuse
    akajoan
    akajoan
    Participant

Look how green everything is, (I-don’t-do-indoor-seeds,…).  I bet you can smell the warm soil everytime you water (I-don’t-do-indoor-seeds, …)  , and so organized, too, it doesn’t look like it takes up too much space  (I-don’t-do-indoor-seeds, …)  This chant just isn’t working very well anymore, (sigh).  Will show you my Cobea when they germinate.   Thanks for this tutorial,

Joan

Joan (west of Ottawa)
    '>Find more about Weather in Lanark, CA

#4524506 Report Abuse

flowerpowerzone5
    Participant

Wow what an awsome set up and pictures.

#4524507 Report Abuse
    iris43
    iris43
    Participant

Excellent, Charlene!

#4524508 Report Abuse

mcjughead
    Participant

Charlene, 

Thanks for taking the time to show others how to start their seeds. I know this took some time on your part , photos, and such,  but it was well worth it.  : ) 

Always enjoy your posts here on the gardening forums.

Jane

#4524503 Report Abuse
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    woodlandgal_WI_zn4
    Participant

Charlene, thank you for posting all those pics of how you do your plants.

I have a question……from those little round things that you first plant your seeds into, do you transplant them into the cell packs?  It doesn’t seem like that would give them much more room than they had.  I noticed that some plants are in cups, so are they transplanted twice then? 

I must find one of those racks for mine.  I love how deep they are compared to regular wire shelving.

Pat ~ West Central WI

#4524504 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

That was interesting to see how others do their seeds. I do mine pretty much like you do except instead of going to a window (I don’t have good light from the windows here) they go to another table with higher lights. I am now running out of room or I should say, tables and lights. I may go this week to Walmart and pick up a long folding table and a couple more lights…..Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4524499 Report Abuse

bugman18
    Participant

They look AMAZING.

#4524500 Report Abuse
    Donna
    Donna
    Participant

Charlene, thank you very much for your overview of how you take care of your seedlings from germination to growing plants. I agree with you about the 100 people, everyone finds their way of growing. You start by following what someone says then you find the way that suits you. Just like cooking, someone does this or that and you find your own way of doing it.

I know it took a lot of time for you to prepare this and I would like to thank you for your time. I love seeing what others do.

Take care and thanks for sharing

Donna

Donna_Canada_Z_5

#4524501 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I really enjoyed this post Charlene.  The pics with the step-by-step details is wonderful and one I am sure will be referring back to and rereading again.

On the post about transplanting on the dining room table, you mentioned a transplant mat.  Is there something special about it or does it just protect the table?

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4524502 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

A wonderful “tutorial” for people to refer to. I can’t imagine me doing all of that in the house, I am such a messy person. But this shows why you are “The Smartest Woman in the World” you have found a way to do things and we know from the many pictures of your garden how well this works. I think people can use this and any of the other ideas they get from others on here to find their own way of starting seeds and growing them on. I thought I got my exericise walking between the house and the greenhouse, you get yours going up and down stairs. But you have the best results possible for what is available for you and have done a bang up job with it. I know a lot of people are going to get good ideas from these pictures and your directions.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4524560 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Oh I was itching all right.  Just avoided scratching til yet.  I didn’t want to start too soon.

#4524559 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wendy…it took you a while to get the seed starting itch this year, but it sounds like you are ready to go into it full force right now…good for you!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524558 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="plantdoctorzn4"]

Wendy…you didn’t hijack my post….I just wanted to share my seed starting process and to let everyone know that there is always room to start seeds…and I got the wheels rolling in your mind, didn’t I? 

[/quote]

You sure did.  I stopped at WM and KMart on the way home from work to pick up more seed starting mix and the trays I like with the covers.  Of course I couldn’t resist more seeds although I still have plenty already that need to get started.  I also picked up some eyehooks and coffeecup style hooks.  Oh, and a thermometer for a buck that I can put in the plantingbox Dad built to get an idea of what temperatures to expect out there.

#4524580 Report Abuse
    Jan
    Jan
    Participant

Yep–Charlene–tomatoe plants  & started some 4 oclocks also

One of the main reasons for me keeping the cover on is —CATS

I kinda wish it zopped from the top in a way.  But the you could roll up the door.  Maybe once the get started I’ll have to turn the ‘mini’ around & roll up the door

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.