My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

This topic contains 78 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  barkey 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)
  • Author

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Hi ho, hi ho, as off to work you go! This has been fun reading. I put 8 pots under the nice lite by my computer and i’m laughing at the small stuff. I did get one cuke transplanted and have 8 other tomatoes and millet comong up.  I tired to be good this year as my light situation is not so good.

But you have given me many good ides for another year. I have a nice east window but it is full of plants I winter over. I had a grow light worked out in the basement – but didn’t have the light low enough. So will see how this year goes.

Thanks for all of your information and pix. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#4524533 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Wendy, cooler temps make stockier plants because they aren’t growing too fast. I keep the greenhouse at 45-50 degrees nights, of course it gets hot in there on sunny days but cools off really fast once the sun starts going down.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4524534 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

It got up to a high of 50 today so when I took my yard stroll I opened the shut up greenhouse (I have 2 layers of plastic over the entire thing), the temp was 100 degrees.  So Kathy be SO glad you got those automatic window opener things on your new greenhouse, that would be great.  Gonna try tomorrow to take up all my seedlings in the cool upstairs and put a light on a timer for them and then fill the table with more seed trays. Its my goal at least, hopefully I can get that done before I go back to work Wednesday.

-Deloris

#4524535 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

Charlene,  Thank you, you worked very hard doing this  and thinking of us.  Helping with all the questions and then answering them. I bet you have lost some weight with all that running upstairs, downstairs, etc.

Thanks Carol

#4524537 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

When I used my basement it was always between 45 to 55º down there. The seedlings did so much better down there then they did upstairs in a warmer room. I also started my seeds down there with no heat mat and it took longer for germination but I now have a full size electric blanket. I didn’t use the basement this winter but the dining room instead. I keep my furnace set at 60 during the day when I am gone and 67 when I am home and 60 again when I go to bed. I also keep the heat registers closed in the dining room……Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4524538 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wendy is not responding…perhaps she is cleaning her basement and getting ready for her new adventure…LOL.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524539 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="growingranny_va_z7"]

Wendy, cooler temps make stockier plants because they aren’t growing too fast. I keep the greenhouse at 45-50 degrees nights, of course it gets hot in there on sunny days but cools off really fast once the sun starts going down.

[/quote]

Then this shoud be ideal.  Of course this was the warmest weekend we’ve had thus far, but I put a thermometer downstairs and it shows 58º now.  I just cleaned off two of the 8foot shelves.  They are about a foot and a half deep.  It even has a power strip attached to it.  Now I need to figure a way to remove the light fixtures from other parts of the basement and attach them somehow to the shelf above for the lower shelf.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4524540 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="Kathy_in_SD_z4"]

When I used my basement it was always between 45 to 55º down there. The seedlings did so much better down there then they did upstairs in a warmer room. I also started my seeds down there with no heat mat and it took longer for germination but I now have a full size electric blanket. I didn’t use the basement this winter but the dining room instead. I keep my furnace set at 60 during the day when I am gone and 67 when I am home and 60 again when I go to bed. I also keep the heat registers closed in the dining room……Kathy

[/quote]

Kathy, I need you to make a road trip and come over and help me hang the lights.

#4524541 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

LOL…Wendy…we were posting at the same time and I guessed that you were cleaning your basement…It certainly sounds like that would be ideal for you.  I’m sure Dad will have some suggestions for hanging lights.  How is he doing?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524542 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I went to choir practice Charlene.  HOWEVER, I did go down to check on the laundry first thing when I got back.  Well, you know the rest.

Wait, I’ll go down and take a pic.  Then you can all share your thoughts and ideas with me.

#4524543 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Here is the spot I cleared.  I leave the part that is cropped out to your imagination.

#4524558 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="plantdoctorzn4"]

Wendy…you didn’t hijack my post….I just wanted to share my seed starting process and to let everyone know that there is always room to start seeds…and I got the wheels rolling in your mind, didn’t I? 

[/quote]

You sure did.  I stopped at WM and KMart on the way home from work to pick up more seed starting mix and the trays I like with the covers.  Of course I couldn’t resist more seeds although I still have plenty already that need to get started.  I also picked up some eyehooks and coffeecup style hooks.  Oh, and a thermometer for a buck that I can put in the plantingbox Dad built to get an idea of what temperatures to expect out there.

#4524559 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wendy…it took you a while to get the seed starting itch this year, but it sounds like you are ready to go into it full force right now…good for you!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524560 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Oh I was itching all right.  Just avoided scratching til yet.  I didn’t want to start too soon.

#4524562 Report Abuse

kimmer58
    Participant

WOW IS THE ONLY THING THAT COMES TO MIND . . WOW!!  Now see I’ve learned so much from this post and the pics.    I also learned I”m a moron!

I’ve been planting my seeds in those 6 or 9 pack cells and I shouldn’t be from these pics.  Look like the cell packs are for transplants?!  I’m such an idiot . . ah oh well live and learn.  Then I also learned to mix up the peat mix in those swell up kind . . never have done that either. 

Now Charlene the 72 peat cell pack . . where did you get that from? In this area we have only the 36 count  for the peat cells.  Did you order that?   Also are you using ice cube trays too?

Wow you’re so good . . no wonder everything turns out so fine and gorgeous!

And Wendy …. it’s all good to get the SOD, SSD . . you’re helping to stimulate the economy!! Barack and congress will send you a thank you note  . . soon!!! LOL

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.