My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds My seed starting method….(Plantdoctor)

This topic contains 78 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  barkey 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)
  • Author

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

Hi ho, hi ho, as off to work you go! This has been fun reading. I put 8 pots under the nice lite by my computer and i’m laughing at the small stuff. I did get one cuke transplanted and have 8 other tomatoes and millet comong up.  I tired to be good this year as my light situation is not so good.

But you have given me many good ides for another year. I have a nice east window but it is full of plants I winter over. I had a grow light worked out in the basement – but didn’t have the light low enough. So will see how this year goes.

Thanks for all of your information and pix. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#4524530 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Gary…DH isn’t jumping up and down with joy, but he tolerates plants every where….only because he knows it is only for a short time. Once in awhile he looks around and just shakes his head….lol…he’ll get over it. Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524529 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wendy….I live in a house over 100 years old….the basement is anything but nice, although it does have a concrete floor.  Mine gets no light what so ever.  The plants only get what light they need from the grow lights.  The coldest it has gotten since I’ve moved the seedlings down there is 38 degrees.  The only ones that tipped over from those temps were celosia….I guess they like it warmer….but they didn’t die.  I just moved them up into the computer room.  Oh…where there is a will…there is a way.  It sounds to me like you could have quite a seed starting industry in your basement.  Do you remember seeing pics of Kathy’s set up in her old house?  It certainly worked well for her, and she had an older home, so it probably wasn’t real warm.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524528 Report Abuse

ah64a
    Participant

WOW now that is a lot of plants. LOL. My DW would KILL me if I try that.

#4524527 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

That was great,Charlene! My problem is that my house is to small, everything has to go in front of my sliding door and pretty big bedroom, both face east. The bay window and a long narrow window are full of houseplants and starts of other plants. Have a few plants in my bathroom but it’s really to dark in there and have to rotate. I do not have one window that faces the south! Want to start my 6-8 wk. seeds but I don’t know where to go with the seedlings that are already up. Come on warm weather!

#4524525 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Okay, now you have me inspecting other corners of the house rather than a spare bedroom and the kitchen table or dining room.

I’ve heard you and Kathy talk about the basement.  The one room in the house I visit once a week to do laundry.  I always assumed that it was too dark and cold to use for a place to start seeds.  There are already lights and shelves down there.  I would have to do some major tossing out, but the shelves are there.  It even gets some light becuase it is right below a window and on the south side.  What temperature does the room have to be in order to be warm enough for them?

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4524523 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Gayle….I read your question on pic of the day and sent you a PM…I think Kathy is working today, so I thought I would answer you while it was still fresh in my mind.  I’m glad you enjoyed this thread.  It was quite a bit of work, but also sorta fun.  I was going to do it yesterday morning, but none of the pics were turning out because the glare in the windows from the sun reflecting off the snow, so I had to do it after dark….I stayed up past my bedtime to get it done…lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524524 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wendy…I forgot to say about using the vinyl table cloth.  I think I got one at dollar general for a couple of bucks….I turned it upside down so the flannel side was up and the vinly side down…worked swell….improvising, you know…lol.  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524521 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Charlene I can’t say enough good things about that post.  Absolutely wonderful & a lot of work, I know.  I too have a question but it has nothing to do with seeds, etc;  In fact I just asked this same ?? on Pic of the Day but I’ll ask you too.  How do you get text in between the pics.  Kathy told me once & I know it is extremely simple but I can’t seem to do it & I forgot what she said.  I know you hit enter somewhere but where/when.  Since you are ‘The Smartest Woman in the World” I thought I’d ask you.  :)

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4524520 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="plantdoctorzn4"]

Wendy,,,the transplant mat is to protect the table.  The top side is flannel and any spilled dirt sticks to it until I take it outside and shake it.  The bottom is rubber coated so it doesn’t slide around and is water proof which also helps protect the table.  Before I got my transplant mat, I used an old vinyl table cloth and that worked well for me, too.

[/quote]

Thanks Charlene.  I use newspaper.  I didn’ t know if your’s had some special magic.  I do like the idea of the flannel trapping that flyaway soil.

Joan, I love the smell of that damp dirt.  Before germination, that is the best!

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4524510 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

I, too, really enjoyed this post, Charlene.  You put a ton of time and effort into it!  Thank you.  It is always great to see how others do their seed starting.  I always learn something new. 

Several years ago, I started out using two card tables with a small light on each table.  The second year I did my seed starting, DH so sweetly offered to bring in an 8′ cafeteria style table so I could have even more space to work with.  That works out fine but the table is behind our sofa and runs the length of the sofa, which makes watering and rotating complicated.  I love what I do so I don’t mind but when he started helping me with the plants when I went to the hospital DH decided it was a painfully difficult set up and he now wants to move the family room around so it will be easier to get to things.  I guess there is nothing like a little first hand experience! 

photo signature_3.gif
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#4524512 Report Abuse

cosmos2z6
    Participant

Thanks Charlene for showing your method of starting seeds. I’m going to mark this post as one of my favorites for future reference. I just started some seeds last week. If I have half as much success starting plants from seeds as you have had, I will be happy.[:)]

Jeanne

#4524513 Report Abuse

hopscotch
    Participant

I liked it too, Charlene.  Like I said earlier, I am on a much smaller scale, but it’s interesting to see what I could develop into in another year!

#4524514 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I will answer a few of your questions

Wendy,,,the transplant mat is to protect the table.  The top side is flannel and any spilled dirt sticks to it until I take it outside and shake it.  The bottom is rubber coated so it doesn’t slide around and is water proof which also helps protect the table.  Before I got my transplant mat, I used an old vinyl table cloth and that worked well for me, too.

Pat…the cell packs are a little bigger than the pellets.  I have to transplant into the cell packs because by the time they get their 2nd set of leaves the roots are coming through the bottom of the net.  I remove the net and carefully divide the plants if both seeds have germinated.  Often I do have to transplant more than once.  The balsam started out in jiffy pellets…transferred to the larger cell packs…then to styro cups.  There are now roots coming out of the holes in the bottom of the cup, so I got big malt size styro cups to transplant them into.

Joan…that chant isn’t working, is it?  LOL  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4524515 Report Abuse
    Lair
    Lair
    Participant

Very good!!!! You told me you were going to do this but I didn’t realize how much work you had planned for this show.  I also learned something, You listened to mother closer than I did. I see your pictures and remember mother having seeds on registers, then to the window, then to the sun room, then the cool room.  I never realized it was the growing process, I thought it was over crowding.  Thanks also for showing me my upcoming birthday presents. Again, VERY GOOD & Well done!!! Lair

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.