gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Author

flowerpowerzone5
    Participant

I started saving everything.I like the pudding cups alot they are just the right size for starting seeds.I also like my light holder (a drying rack for clothes) it looks a little funky but it works.Sandy

#4548233 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I didn’t see your new container Bette.  I find myself saving more and more empty food containers for seed starting.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4548272 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have one of those but didn’t thing to put the cups in it to hold my things, thanks. Mine is always a mess so maybe this will help.

#4548271 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

One more little tool I use.  It seems when it is time to plant seed or work in the greenhouse I can’t find half of the things I need.  Last year I bought this little caddy.  I think it is to store and carry cleaning supplies in.  I got it at Dollar General I believe.  It helped some as at least everything was in one place but had to did through to find things.  I found that styrofoam cups fit in it perfectly the other day except them kept falling over.  I ran a skewer through the bottom side of each of the 3 on either side and now everyone stays put.  I have all my different spoons I use for transplanting, the dowels, skewers etc. for making holes in the soil, writing utensils and my markers each in a separate cup.  I save my markers from year to year so they are grouped with rubber bands and in little plastic bags alphabetized,  there is also one for markers that just have color on them and of course the extra blank ones.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4548312 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

I have one but it has square compartments.  I use it for pretty much the same this as you use yours Bette.  I got it at The Dollar Store.  For $1, you can’t beat it.

#4648935 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

Yes I saved this one also but didn’t see it then. Have to send this one to DD. I don’t want to scare her. [;)]   She has been flower gardening a long time but not seed sowing.   abey

#4648920 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Speedwell, salvia, I like them all, not sure about your exact varieties but I love the table.  I have bone spurs in my neck, degenerative disc disease and arthritis in my back but you know I feel better getting out and doing stuff in the garden.  Last year I was in PT from January through jeez, I think it was 4 months and then off and on I had to go back.  Hopefully that won’t happen this year.

#4648915 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

This is the new cold frame DH built me today….He is a keeper !  Just wanted to share how lazy a Gardner that I really am…..I was cleaning off another plant table today and came across these perennials that I purchased probably last September and never planted…They are all new to me as I have never planted any of these kinds of flowers…Would love to have some imput on how well you like/dislike them if you have them or ever have.

Purpleicious Speedwell

Goodness Grows Speedwell

Icicle Speedwell

Crystal Peak Obedient Plant

Asters

Endless Love Salvia….

To tell the truth about why they didn’t get planted…I was constantly in the Chiropractors office and Physical Therapy with my back at that time last year..Even had a steroid shot in back which did help…..Praise the Lord I am much better this year but after getting back in the yard again, no telling what is going to happen.. Prayers please….I love the yard and gardening. 

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#4648731 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

my DSL in Carolina used to and still does I guess ,  used a 2 liter bottle. put a little dirt  in it and then  put in her cuttings or a cutting , put the top on and put  it somewhere out of the sun in the fall and when spring came , she cut it open and had a rooted plant… could do this in summer too. Just have to make sure to keep it out of direct sun or it will bake them….[:@]

For cheap markers to stick in seed pots etc….take an old mini blind and cut  slats into  6″ pieces , mark name of flowers on it with permanent ink pen like a sharpie pen . insert in pot .  I know all us oldies in gardening know this already but we have some newbies on here that might not have thought of this.

I think hubby said he was through with my new cold frame on legs, now we have to tear the old one down and figure out how we are going to get new one where old one was.  not going to be easy.

He tries to make things so easy for me…He likes some of it too…I have all my potting stuff out behind a shed…He has made the cold frame, another table or two to hold plants,  a work bench and then he said I had to have water closer by so he took an old stainless steel double sink and hooked up the plumbing to that, then he had this double wash tub with rollers on it that he brought to the area and come up with a lid that fits it perfectly and that is to put two different potting soils in , plus doubles as another table top beside sink…Now since he does the vegetable garden , he says he wishes he had put the sinks in years ago so he could wash the dirt off them, clean and look and he even has a gas cooker out there and his big pot where he did collards last week….So I think he had another motive besides getting water for me out there,  I have a radio, two yard umbrellas ..Well this man has spoiled me rotten….I even have a tall stool to sit on and a regular chair too…I think I will put me a swang out there too….I will tell you about the green house that I had in Carolina in another story.  Sorry this was so long,,,and why am I not out there in my mess now instead of here…I love you all. and it is sorta  cold out there although they say it is 60 degrees…I  don’t believe it.. Sun has just come out for first time today….BYE

Janet...z7.

#4648722 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Will someone please post on here the recipe for a good potting soil….I buy what is suppose to be good and I never have found a bought one that I feel is good enough….I did use a soil that had mushroom compost in it last year from wal mart that was pretty good..did not dry and cake like the others do….

I bought some mushroom compost one time to add to the dirt I was putting in the yard to plant a row of plants and I had mushrooms coming up everywhere…LOL   that is up on top of the hill yard where I can’t get much to grow that I plant , but it grows what I don’t plant,,,LOL

By the way , I am living in CLAY territory, so I have to add lots of other dirt.  Thanks

Janet...z7.

#4648721 Report Abuse
    auntcon
    auntcon
    Participant

[quote user="Ga Girls Flowers"]

FOR MINATURE GREEN HOUSES       I READ AN ARTICLE YESTERDAY SOMEWHERE …TO USE BOTTOM OF GALLON MILK JUG or  gallon water jug, juice jug etc

sorry I always holler…….Cut milk jug into, Put soil in  and plant your seeds or cuttings,water good but not soggy,   then put the top back on  and duct tape it back together…leave the cap off…make drainage hole I guess. You can also use ice cream buckets,they have oblong ones now as well as round gallon ones and quart ones.  I am like the others on here….I am a newby on here and I have learned so much in short time I have been on these forums….What I want to know is why is it so addictive…I don’t do housework ,laundry, or nothing no more,,,,Scared I am going to miss something….LOL    it is helping with my diet….Don’t care if I eat or not  , rather be on here….If I can remember where I read the article about this I will post pictures.

[/quote]

I used this method last year and it worked pretty well for me.

Find more about Weather in Papillion, NE

#4648719 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Janet, you’re hooked just like the rest of us.  LOL

They do that thing with the milk jugs for winter sowing.  Del posted some info on it yesterday.  Maybe that is where you saw it.  She had the pictures too.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4648718 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

FOR MINATURE GREEN HOUSES       I READ AN ARTICLE YESTERDAY SOMEWHERE …TO USE BOTTOM OF GALLON MILK JUG or  gallon water jug, juice jug etc

sorry I always holler…….Cut milk jug into, Put soil in  and plant your seeds or cuttings,water good but not soggy,   then put the top back on  and duct tape it back together…leave the cap off…make drainage hole I guess. You can also use ice cream buckets,they have oblong ones now as well as round gallon ones and quart ones.  I am like the others on here….I am a newby on here and I have learned so much in short time I have been on these forums….What I want to know is why is it so addictive…I don’t do housework ,laundry, or nothing no more,,,,Scared I am going to miss something….LOL    it is helping with my diet….Don’t care if I eat or not  , rather be on here….If I can remember where I read the article about this I will post pictures.

Janet...z7.

#4648701 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

[color=blue]   I’m a complete failure with seeds…but, I’ll ask the ?? anyways….since it is pretty warm (68-70) indoors and most of the time light from sliding door/windows, etc, do I put my seedlings once germinated under lights??[/color]

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#4648635 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bump 2013

Time to start another season

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.