gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 125 total)
  • Author

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Thanks from me too, Wendy! I lost the site and couldn’t find it and I don’t have the patience to grow through everything to get to it. LOL

#4534041 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Link for thread with eveyone’s favorite seed starting sites.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/334762.aspx?PageIndex=2

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4534052 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Wendy see you already got the seed starting information link over here but wanted to get the link for the first page.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/334762.aspx

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4534949 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Thought I would add the tread on information on seed explaining some of the terms used in catalogs when giving information about seed.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/336648.aspx

photo signature_3.gif

#4535554 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bump

Don’t you just love Seed Starting Time! 

#4535561 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Next to being outside working in my gardens it is the best time of the year.

photo signature_3.gif

#4546149 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Happy New Seed Starting Year 2012

Hard to believe a year has gone by already.   Thanks to Bette for starting this thread for 2010. 

Note for all of you who have not used this thread before, there are dozens of links in this thread to other great threads on this board all to do with seed starting.  Unfortunately, the links to some of the pictures are gone now. :(

#4546178 Report Abuse
    narnian
    narnian
    Participant

O.K. Now I am really excited about seed starting…Started painting my shelves yesterday, and hopefully will finish today…but I don’t know when I will start planting….probably not until late February, I think.

Thank you for all the info Everyone!

I am going to print it and make a notebook from it…I still like paper!!!

#4546274 Report Abuse

razzmataz
    Participant

I read thru some of this thread yesterday…..then last night as I was filling my Keurig coffeemaker with water so it is ready for a.m. coffee I had an epiphany.  I have been cutting the little individual coffee cups open after use and saving the grounds to put in composter……then it hit me….they are perfect for seed starting…as they have a little hole it the bottom that is punched by the machine when coffee is brewed and I was cutting the top off anyway to save the grounds! I am going to experiment and see how they do.

#4546279 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Razz those little cups should do just fine.

photo signature_3.gif

#4546395 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Found yet another seed planting tray by accident.  Am saving gallon milk jugs to use as mini greenhouses over a few tomatoes and pepper to get them in the garden early so I cut the bottom out of them.  The bottom would make great starter trays with a few holes punched in the bottom of them.

photo signature_3.gif

#4548253 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I do have a few of the oblong planters I use during the summer, will see what else I have in my stash of pots. Last year I planted enough to give my son a few.

#4548248 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Bette good idea for the use of both parts of the jug…….Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4548249 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I’m saving the tall plastic drink glasses you get at McDonald’s, etc. for my tomato plants but have to figure out what I can set them in so they won’t fall over easily. Whenever I use any kind of plastic glasses or cups I always knock them over.

#4548250 Report Abuse

gardenwayKYz6
    Participant

[quote user="Hiker07_IL_5"]Whenever I use any kind of plastic glasses or cups I always knock them over.[/quote]

Do you have an empty plastic window box  – is what I use to keep containers from being knocked over.  But this is when I’m winter sowing a number of  containers – don’t know how many tomato plants you are planning on.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.