gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Wendy you are on top of things as usual.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4523802 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

OK Molly I am improvising again.  I don’t have a fish tank available so decided I could make a cutting tank from this jug.  Do you start your cuttings in the greenhouse or in the house.  I assume you don’t have them on heat at it won’t come through the bottom of the fish tank.  How much starting medium to you put in the tank.

photo signature_3.gif

#4523803 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I have about 6″ of potting medium in the bottom of the tank, it is in the greenhouse with no bottom heat.  Some things root quite fast like the euphorbia, coleus etc. But the hibiscus take longer. During the summer and into the fall almost everything roots faster but right now I have it full of hibiscus cuttings. Today I had to cut back more hibiscus and can’t resist starting them so I put them in deep 6 packs with the same rooting medium, dipped in 10% Dip ‘n Gro, with a big dome over the top. This sits in front of the heater so I will have to keep track of the water in there.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4523805 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Thanks Molly.  You are bad but I know the feeling just can’t throw anything green away.  In fact can’t throw anything away that might turn green.

photo signature_3.gif

#4523807 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I have another question. I started my Passion Flower Seeds today.  BTW, there were exactly SIX seeds in the pack.  Wow.  Anyway since the book says it takes these 30 days to germinate I decided to put them in a container by themselves with a clear plastic lid on top (soil already moist) Now instead of putting this one container on the heating pad I put it on to- of my water heater.  That’s probably just as warm as the heating pad I think  Buutt  there is next to no light in that corner of the utility room.  Will this matter?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523793 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

How do you water your seed if you start them in peat pots?

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/306449.aspx

Another informative thread to add to this post.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4523819 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

This was one plant where the seed book didn’t say anything about cover or not cover with soil .  But the pkg said to plant 1/4″ deep (outside) so I guess they don’t need light.  Thanks

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523809 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

It won’t need light until it sprouts UNLESS they said not to cover the seed. Seeds that you don’t cover with soil needs light to germinate.

Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4524013 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bumping for new seed starter ers.  I hope to finally get going this weekend.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4524023 Report Abuse

kimmer58
    Participant

This post is so helpful!  I’ll be planting the last of my flowers for the year this weekend then won’t do anything until the first weekend in MArch and that will be my tomatoes!  I have several varieties.  I like some of the names . . they intrigue me . . like the New Yorker or my favorite The Bloody Butcher!  Where do they get these names!  Of course paying attention to the maturity date is as important too!

#4524076 Report Abuse
    auntcon
    auntcon
    Participant

Popsicle sticks from the craft section and write on them with a lead pencil works well too.  They hold up until ready to plant and then some.  A member of our garden club started lots of plants each year and that is what she used.  She really grew nice plants too.

Find more about Weather in Papillion, NE

#4524073 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

[quote user="Kathy_in_SD_z4"]end up using tongue depressers as markers too but if you put them outside to mark the plant the black marker washes away after a couple of rains.[/quote]

I am using a grease pencil or what they call a china marker this year.  I don’t think it will wash off.

photo signature_3.gif

#4524071 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

Bette I saved my suet containers so I could use them when I started making my own also. Last year in a pinch I used them to start some seeds. Great minds think alike, lol.

I had started so many seeds last year that I was using evrything in a pinch…Kim I had to end up using tongue depressers as markers too but if you put them outside to mark the plant the black marker washes away after a couple of rains….Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4524065 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I use all sorts of containers to transplant into but in rather fussy about what I start my seed in.  I like to make rows and plant them all nice and neat so the seed starting trays I use are 5X7 and 6 fit into a flat.  I guess it is just something from being in the business.  I have some plug trays left from when I owned the greenhouse but they hold so many seed that I don’t start that many of any one kind so they waste space which is something I don’t have a lot of.

photo signature_3.gif

#4524064 Report Abuse

kimmer58
    Participant

I have been saving my pudding/jello cups and yogurt cups too!  They seem to help but in a pinch I can pick up from styrofoam cups from Dart.  We have a plant here and they sell them pretty cheap!   500 of the small ones for $1.00! 

I do have a lot of people now here at work bring me their containers!  I have raspberry/blueberry ones, ypgurt, jello cups, styro cups,  even some of those Smart Ones too!  The word will get around!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.