gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

I don’t know if I mentioned this before or not, but last week when using the last Earth Grain flat bun from the package, I realized these are the PERFECT containers to start seeds in and you have the bag to slide it back in and I love these thin buns, you actually taste the content of the sandwich cause there isn’t too much bread and of course the whole wheat ones are better for you than the cheap white buns too.  So, another thing I’ll be hoarding for seed starting. LOL

-Deloris

#4523503 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I just left Lowe’s a little while ago & mine has the seed starter kits but the only “pots” they have are peat pots. And they don’t have any of the peat “pellets” the ones that grow in water.

I have another question.  My seeds are sprouting.  The bachelor button sprouts are touching the top of the plastic dome.  They don’t have any true leaves on them yet.  Just those little bud looking things & of course they are very tiny & delicate.  Do I need to do anything about this.  If I take the dome off, how will that affect the other seeds that haven’t sprouted yet? Would it be all right to prop the cover up a little or just leave it alone till everything has sprouted?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523505 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Prop the cover.  The other seeds may take longer to germinate, but they will be okay with the dome set on sideways…or sometimes with bottom heat, I remove the dome.  Glad to hear that some of your seeds are doing well for you.  It gives you hope for Spring, doesn’t it?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4523507 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Talk about improvising! Transplanted some of my geraniums and wanted to keep them on my cabinet under an overhead light until I figure out where to put them. Didn’t have any plastic (have two cats) to protect them so I took the wrap off my furnace a new furnace filter and cut it length wise so it would be long enough and put cans of veggies at the end to to hold the plastic down yet high enough not to touch the plants. May do something additional as I really don’t trust Katie and JoJo at night! Lately I look at anything as being re-usable.

#4523645 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Seed starter bump.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4523646 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

I took some pics of yesterdays seed starting on the dining room table but……when I went to download the pics my printer isn’t recognizing my computer so I either have to call the puter guy at home today or try to find the cord for the camera which I have never used. Heading to church now so will try to figure that one out when I get home.

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4523647 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I was hoping to do the same thing today.  I will wait and see what you post so we are not duplicating.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4523653 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Molly, you might have to re-install the printer.  I just got a new puter & had to do all that stuff.  And since yours has been dis-connected for a while, maybe that is what’s needed. I’m no expert but I think you go to your control poanel where it says printers & other hardware (or something similar) and see if your printer is on there.  If not it needs to be re-installed.

#4523660 Report Abuse
    growingranny_va_z7
    growingranny_va_z7
    Participant

Thanks Gayle I will go there now and check it. I checked it, it shows the printer is installed and ready. But when I put the picture card into the printer it gives me a message that there is no computer. I emailed the puter guy and hopefully he will answer soon.

Wilderness, post your pics. I am sure with my mickie mouse setup it will be nothing like yours anyway! :-))

Find more about Weather in Dutton, VA

#4523661 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Molly you have to be kidding me.  Your Mickey Mouse set up.  I just this afternoon got my kitchen counter straighten up so I can do gardening.  Everyone laughs at me when I am cooking the working with plants at the same time.  I just tell DB if there are dark specks in his food it is just pepper.  I will get my geraniums out here before transplant and after.  I think my non stop begonias are not making it.  It was seed from last year and very little have germinated.  The were great last year and I need a couple of dozen so may have to order new seed.  I have 2 that I have wintered over so am going to try leaf layering.  It usually works with begonias.

photo signature_3.gif

#4523673 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Molly your printer set up works totally different than mine.  I never saw printer that you can put a piicture card in? 

#4523697 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Link of Molly/Growinggranny_va-z7 pics of seed starting on dining room table.  Wildernerness Z4 also added pics.

More pics of seed starting from Growinggranny and Wilderness January 18th.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/p/306223/3481825.aspx

#4523698 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Hey girl you are fast.  Thanks.  This is going to be a great reference thread when it is finished.

photo signature_3.gif

#4523711 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="wilderness_NY_Z4"]

Hey girl you are fast.  Thanks.  This is going to be a great reference thread when it is finished.

[/quote]

Figured I’d better add it while I was thinking of it.  I’m saving this one for sure.

#4523715 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

there are so many out here with so much knowledge.  It is great to have a little of it in one place and you have sure helped by adding the links.

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.