gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

O.K. I’ve started.  Step 1 & finished product.  I can never get more than 2 pictures in the right order, Sorry. The plastic cover is clearer than it looks in this picture. There is water in the black tray and a wicking mat that keeps the plants watered from the bottom.  The heating pad is set on low.  Is there anything else I need to do? I am trying 2 types of Gerbea, Amaranthus, Cleome, Bachelor’s Buttons & something called Chinese Houses.  My grow light & my Success with Seeds book came today.  Love the book.  Already used the info in it for planting these seeds When these sprout they will go on the next shelf down & the grow light will be fastened to the bottom of the shelf above.. I have another project under way.  Pictures & info to come.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523446 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

[quote user="wilderness_NY_Z4"]

Charlene it would be nice if we got some of the conversation and pictures from your post on your new greenhouse and all the things about heating devices etc.  That way we could save it for next year and bring it back up as there are always new folks joining us.

[/quote]

Here is the url to that post so that anyone  can go back without hunting for it.  I agree it would be better to have the pics and conversation added to this thread also though.  I’ll also put a few of the other good and related ones we have had recently.

I hope everyone will post their pics too.

Plant Doctor/ Charlene’s thread ” a picture of my new greenhouse”.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/304727.aspx

Here is the thread for Grow lights started by you. “Grow lights”

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/304704.aspx

skippydel/Deloris’ thread on seed starting mix. “What seed starting ix do you use?

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/304659.aspx

More on grow lights from luvmyb_b/Karen’s post  “Thoughts on how I should use my grow lights”

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/304363.aspx

Kathy_in_SD_Z4/Kathy’s thread “Have everything ready to start those seeds”

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/t/304363.aspx

More pics of seed starting from Growinggranny and Wilderness January 18th.

http://community.birdsandblooms.com/forums/p/306223/3481825.aspx#3481825

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4523445 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

What a fun post.  It will be fun to add to once I set everything up to get started.

#4523444 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I’m glad you did this today (tonight for me) as I plan on starting my seeds tomorrow & the dishpan is a great idea.  I just happen to have a few of  those plastic ones they you home with from a hospital stay that will work perfectly.

#4523471 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bumping for the weekend seed starters.

#4523472 Report Abuse

pokey73
    Participant

trying to get my signature off of photobucket now   By the way I need some of the potting soil

went to walmart they have none sales it is seasonal.

signature_1.gif My signature picture by mimigarden2009

#4523473 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have been everywhere looking for potting soil! Guess they don’t realize even houseplants need to be repotted sometimes.

#4523491 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Now how can they sell seeds and not sell something to start them in?  I had really good results using he peat pods, maybe you can start them and by the time they’re ready to transplant they’ll have soil in.  You probably will do better to call the greenhouses and make arrangements to meet them at a certain time there to get a bale of pro-mix.  They’ve got to be starting seed too, you know?

-Deloris

#4523492 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Lowe’s had all their seed starting kits out.  I don’t know about potting soil I didn’t look. They still have all the bags of dirt, gravel, mulch in the outdoor part. Might be some out there.

#4523490 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Lowe’s had their seeds out last week.

#4523489 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

None of our greenhouses are open right now, going back out tomorrow to double check. This is the first winter around here they’ve done that, usually Walmart would carry it. Last year they laughed because I wanted seeds the last week of February! I see where our farm store has veggie seeds out now.

#4523488 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Do you have a local greenhouse?  If so, I’d call and see if they won’t sell you a cube of Pro-Mix.  I know ours will, I just called them a couple of weeks ago, just gotta go when they are there seeding and stuff since they aren’t really open for business.  Hopefully they’ll be open MLK day since I have that Monday off since they’re only there Monday-Friday off and on.

-Deloris

#4523507 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Talk about improvising! Transplanted some of my geraniums and wanted to keep them on my cabinet under an overhead light until I figure out where to put them. Didn’t have any plastic (have two cats) to protect them so I took the wrap off my furnace a new furnace filter and cut it length wise so it would be long enough and put cans of veggies at the end to to hold the plastic down yet high enough not to touch the plants. May do something additional as I really don’t trust Katie and JoJo at night! Lately I look at anything as being re-usable.

#4523505 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Prop the cover.  The other seeds may take longer to germinate, but they will be okay with the dome set on sideways…or sometimes with bottom heat, I remove the dome.  Glad to hear that some of your seeds are doing well for you.  It gives you hope for Spring, doesn’t it?  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4523503 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

I just left Lowe’s a little while ago & mine has the seed starter kits but the only “pots” they have are peat pots. And they don’t have any of the peat “pellets” the ones that grow in water.

I have another question.  My seeds are sprouting.  The bachelor button sprouts are touching the top of the plastic dome.  They don’t have any true leaves on them yet.  Just those little bud looking things & of course they are very tiny & delicate.  Do I need to do anything about this.  If I take the dome off, how will that affect the other seeds that haven’t sprouted yet? Would it be all right to prop the cover up a little or just leave it alone till everything has sprouted?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.