gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 125 total)
  • Author

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Just don’t do what I do, forget to water them! My biggest problem is in the summer. My son just built me a new coldframe so am hoping I can get an earlier start this spring.

#4523456 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Here’s my 2nd planting project for today.  I have about a dozen of these Angel Trumpet pieces divided between two vases of water.  They all have those white bumps all over them & somebody on here told me I didn’t have to wait for the actual roots , I could go ahead & plant them with the bumps.  So I was intending to plant a few & see how they did.  When I got them out of the room about 1/2 of them are growing actual roots.  I decided to plant the best 4  The plant in the little vase is a gardenia I have rooted from a cutting.  The pot & the dirt in it on the rt hand side of the picture have been in the garage & they are cold so I will let it warm up a little first before putting the gardenia in it. And then I have to clean up.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523457 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Looking good Gayle

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4523458 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I’m on vacation – but I cit the big leaf off the palm. I did get permission. Needs to let thenew one go to the other window to keep the plant in balance. I have more to do next week when this weather gets warmer.  There will be lots of plants to take care of when I get home. And I will get my ammerylsis up and going.  Not having numerious plants to trim and move is getting to me. Next I have to get permission to help the african violets I walk by each day! But I have to do a few at a time. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#4523471 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Bumping for the weekend seed starters.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#4523472 Report Abuse

pokey73
    Participant

trying to get my signature off of photobucket now   By the way I need some of the potting soil

went to walmart they have none sales it is seasonal.

signature_1.gif My signature picture by mimigarden2009

#4523473 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

I have been everywhere looking for potting soil! Guess they don’t realize even houseplants need to be repotted sometimes.

#4523488 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Do you have a local greenhouse?  If so, I’d call and see if they won’t sell you a cube of Pro-Mix.  I know ours will, I just called them a couple of weeks ago, just gotta go when they are there seeding and stuff since they aren’t really open for business.  Hopefully they’ll be open MLK day since I have that Monday off since they’re only there Monday-Friday off and on.

-Deloris

#4523489 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

None of our greenhouses are open right now, going back out tomorrow to double check. This is the first winter around here they’ve done that, usually Walmart would carry it. Last year they laughed because I wanted seeds the last week of February! I see where our farm store has veggie seeds out now.

#4523490 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Lowe’s had their seeds out last week.

#4523491 Report Abuse
    skippydel13zone6KY
    skippydel13zone6KY
    Participant

Now how can they sell seeds and not sell something to start them in?  I had really good results using he peat pods, maybe you can start them and by the time they’re ready to transplant they’ll have soil in.  You probably will do better to call the greenhouses and make arrangements to meet them at a certain time there to get a bale of pro-mix.  They’ve got to be starting seed too, you know?

-Deloris

#4523492 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Lowe’s had all their seed starting kits out.  I don’t know about potting soil I didn’t look. They still have all the bags of dirt, gravel, mulch in the outdoor part. Might be some out there.

#4523493 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

I was in Lowes yesterday and they had everything out.  BTW they do have the trays and cell packs that aren’t the pods etc.  They is 3 trays, domes and 2 sets of 72 cells.  These are the regular 9 cell market packs.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4523494 Report Abuse
    luvmyb_b
    luvmyb_b
    Participant

Thanks for the head’s up!

NOTE TO SELF: Stay out of Lowe’s!!!

I have more seeds to start than I will likely have space for and I have NO self control when it comes to seeds (or any kind of gardening for that matter).   It’s good to know that Lowe’s will not be my friend as I fight my addiction (sort of – maybe – NOT). 

Perhaps Walmart will be a safe place for me to go – for a while.   Hmmm … 

SantaandbabyJesuschristmas photo SantaandbabyJesuschristmas.jpg
    Karen
    NW Ohio
    Zn5

#4523495 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Menard’s had a sale this morning on seed starting kits, 2@$1.50. I always go out and sign up for the contest that i will never win! Sure could use that Equinox to carry that soil with!LOL. Promis them, if they let me win I’ll never buy garden stuff anywhere else!!!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.