gardeners are the greatest at improvising

Home Forums Gardening All About Seeds gardeners are the greatest at improvising

This topic contains 124 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by SunshineNY6 SunshineNY6 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

For the past few days we have had several threads about different things we us to start our seed etc.  I thought it would be nice to put them all in one thread that we could add to our favorites for future reference.  So here are a couple of mine.  Pictures would be great or just a list.

The flat and the market packs are pretty much standard greenhouse equipment.  However we also have a baby spoon for transplanting seedlings and wooden skewers the short on for making rows to plant seed in the market packs and the longer pointed one to separate seedling when transplanting.  I have all of the market packs in the flats while they are in the house to prevent water all over and also for bottom watering.  When I want a lot of plants like marigolds I have some I have made drainage holes in them and sow the seed in them.

A dishpan to mix and moisten soil in.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#4523442 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Charlene it would be nice if we got some of the conversation and pictures from your post on your new greenhouse and all the things about heating devices etc.  That way we could save it for next year and bring it back up as there are always new folks joining us.

photo signature_3.gif

#4523441 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

A few from last year. I use the plastic knives for ID but I will lay them down on the containers when the lights are low.

These are ready to transplant into styrofoam cups.

You can see in the background my trays of cell packs under the lights.

I use the wooden skewers for lifting out seedlings and for staking seedlings along with pieces of pipe cleaner to tie to the skewer.

Kathy

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#4523440 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

I will post some pics the next time I start a tray of seeds and that will probably be soon.  Almost 3/4 of the seeds I started New Year’s day are up and moved to the grow light.  When I post pics they can see the options of the jiffy pellets.  Good idea Bette.   Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4523437 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

I am so glad you posted the pictures!  I was wishing just today someone would post some pictures. Beginners can see just what you are talking about. I am not sure of what cell packs and  jiffy seed starters and peat pots are. I have never planted seed early, well I did plant just a few last year but we have a long growing season in z7 and can plant outside and still have blooms all summer. Kathy posted pictures last year of her project but I didn’t save them !! I WILL NOW! ……Abey Z 7

#4523439 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Now I know what to do with the red dish pan that keeps getting in my way, thanks! It’s not a real big one and there’s no way to hang it up and I don’t have much storage space. I plant in whatever I have handy, plastic butter and cottage cheese containors are good ones. I save the things plants come in when I buy for summer but once in awhile will buy a window planter. If I ever win the lotto the first thing I will buy is a greenhouse!

#4523457 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Looking good Gayle

photo signature_3.gif

#4523458 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I’m on vacation – but I cit the big leaf off the palm. I did get permission. Needs to let thenew one go to the other window to keep the plant in balance. I have more to do next week when this weather gets warmer.  There will be lots of plants to take care of when I get home. And I will get my ammerylsis up and going.  Not having numerious plants to trim and move is getting to me. Next I have to get permission to help the african violets I walk by each day! But I have to do a few at a time. Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#4523456 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Here’s my 2nd planting project for today.  I have about a dozen of these Angel Trumpet pieces divided between two vases of water.  They all have those white bumps all over them & somebody on here told me I didn’t have to wait for the actual roots , I could go ahead & plant them with the bumps.  So I was intending to plant a few & see how they did.  When I got them out of the room about 1/2 of them are growing actual roots.  I decided to plant the best 4  The plant in the little vase is a gardenia I have rooted from a cutting.  The pot & the dirt in it on the rt hand side of the picture have been in the garage & they are cold so I will let it warm up a little first before putting the gardenia in it. And then I have to clean up.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523455 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Just don’t do what I do, forget to water them! My biggest problem is in the summer. My son just built me a new coldframe so am hoping I can get an earlier start this spring.

#4523453 Report Abuse

Hiker07_IL_5
    Participant

Congrats! I’ve been growing things since I was a kid, my grandmother had a big yard and anything you could think of in it. I don’t have any of the heating or lights but I manage quite a bit, my perienniels I usually start in the spring on this huge trellis covered planting bench I have. Have fun!

#4523454 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Hiker I too have been gardening forever or at least over 40 years.  I just never had much luck starting seeds indoors but I have decided to get serious about this & I WILL DO IT.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#4523447 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Wow…we could right our own book on seed starting…100 different ways with the same results…flowers!  It would be nice to have a reference thread to check back. Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#4523448 Report Abuse
    abeyl
    abeyl
    Participant

GREAT you all have answered a lot of questions for me. I was on the right track. I wondered if you couldn’t plant one kind of seeds in a container..not one seed at a time in a small pot. I was gonna do that just to see lol! I use to be a perfectionest so still like to know the right and best way to do it. I am ready to plant something!! gonna plant some blanket flowers so they will bloom this summer….Abey

#4523451 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Thanks Wendy for posting all the links.  Now all anyone has to do is add this thread to their favorites.  I have a feeling this will continue to grow all summer and into fall when everyone starts gathering seed.  The more pictures the better.

photo signature_3.gif

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.