3 ways to attract blue jays

Home Forums Birding General Bird Q&As 3 ways to attract blue jays

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by plantdoctorzn4 plantdoctorzn4 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

If you love the presence of blue jays in your garden then I have 3 sure fire ways to attract them this Spring.

Fisrt, Make sure that you provide a feeding area with plenty of perching area.

Second, Offer a variety of food in the blue jay’s feeding area. A blue jay’s diet mainly consist of plants, vegetables, nuts and some insects. Suet is also popular among blue jays as well!

Third, Invest in a bird bath. It doesn’t have to be an expensive one. The whole idea is that you are providing a good source of water for your blu jays.

Waye's Home Accessory Superstore

#5132218 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Hi again Waye’s…. I love my blue jays… and they love the peanuts I put out for them each day.  I have never seen one on  the bird bath, as we live on the lake, so I assume they drink and bathe there.

They love the sunflower seed and occasionally they will eat the suet, but very rarely.  I wonder if in different parts of the country they eat differently?

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5132219 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

If you happen to notice that a breeding pair of blue jays are setting up house in your bird house or feeder, then leave out a few small scraps of white material such as cut up strips from a white sheet or towel. Blue jays will use this outside of their nest for identification.
    Blue jays typically mate from March to July.

#5132227 Report Abuse
    WayesHomeAccessory
    WayesHomeAccessory
    Participant

Yes that is a good question! Well I do know that just like the squirrels they bury their food, especially acorns for a later feeding. This is due to the fact that acorns and other nuts and berries may not be available all year round.

http://wayeshomeaccessories.weebly.com/bird-feeders-and-bird-houses.html

#5132237 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

During the summer months our blue jays are few and far between.  They go into the woods and we very seldom see them. We hear them , but the peanuts go uneaten for weeks at a time.

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5132303 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

I have all of the above and the blue Jays come.  They can get pretty noisy when 2 nests hatch and that many little ones around.

But they are a pretty blue and fun to watch.

<*)~// Tealbird

#5132414 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

The ones that come around here love peanuts.  They are a pretty bird, and are a welcome sight because they stay with us all year round.  They can be very nasty.  One particular year, they emptied all the birdhouses.  They dumped the eggs, and those that were not destroyed, new born fledglings were also on the ground.  Ok, they were sparrows, but I felt bad anyways.  When I caught them in the act going after the baby chickadees, the parents did a fine job going into a frenzy plus my yelling like a banshee, they flew away.

Stella
    Community Team Member

#5133046 Report Abuse
    dzyg
    dzyg
    Participant

We have lots of Blue Jays year round. Another thing they love besides peanuts (both in and out of the shell) and peanut butter suet dough is if you plant the giant sunflowers in your yard. They LOVE to pull the seeds out themselves in late summer/early fall.

#5133730 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

When I have Bluejays, I have NO other birds because the bluejays are mean to them and actually rob and attack their nests.  I do all I can to keep the Bluejays away even though they are a beautiful bird.  I think they are mean because our cold winters makes them mad just like it does me…lol.  Once the bluejays leave, I have many other birds here.

photo 100_1493.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.