3 Sets of Baby Hummingbirds per Season?

Home Forums Birding Hummingbirds 3 Sets of Baby Hummingbirds per Season?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by MDgreenery MDgreenery 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Was wondering if anyone has experienced/noticed/seen/suspected one of their regular female hummers having successfully raised 3 sets of hummingbirds in one Springtime/Summer visit?

I’ve read where this happens occasionally in Florida & wonder if anyone further North has seen such a feat? We see a female hummingbird go to 2 distinct out on a limb kind of spots regularly; one limb where she often displays the drilling action associated with feeding her young & another where she displays a variety of behaviors. I suspect this hummingbird was pregnant early on this Spring & have pretty much only seen her in a plump faze.

She must be exhausted already but I suspect if the male has access to her again then she may try to raise 3 sets of baby hummingbirds this year? She seems more sure of her little self then the other female/s(?) we see as her actions are very distinct at various times before, during & after her pregnancy?

Has anyone seen this firsthand before? If any experts stop by/drop in can you elaborate on some of the less known facts of the hummingbirds pregnancy. Is it known exactly or roughly how many days the female hummer is actually pregnant. And is the time when she lays her little eggs to the time the hummers fledge about…6 weeks?

Any facts or firsthand experiences’ would be much appreciated. Thanks.

#5152320 Report Abuse

JSong
    Participant

Hmmm, very interesting.

I’m not a hummingbird expert.  Hopefully, someone will drop in with answers.

BTW:  what kind of tree is her nest in??

Keep us posted.  BBL!

#5152434 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hello JSong,

The first hummingbird nest is in an Oak tree.  Our state tree for Maryland is the White Oak & thankfully we have a few of them in the neighborhood. If the hummer made another (or in the process of making another) nest where we’ve seen her hang out, that would be our Maple. Both trees are in close proximity & she has a ‘Bird’s Eye View’ of her feeding grounds in either spot.

Thank you for your interest & I too hope someone can elaborate on this amazing feat.

Have you seen any hummingbirds nesting in your area? Would you care to share your zone or state?

Happy hummer watching!

#5153626 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hoping one of the experts has time to look in here this w/e…

#5154325 Report Abuse

JSong
    Participant

Okay, I’ve searched the net & found something by authors “Robinson, et all.”

According to them – Ruby Throats may have up to 3 broods & they didn’t say “just in Florida.”.   They emphasized the type of hummer – Ruby Throats.  I need to read it again or paste the link here if interested.

I do have a 200 yr old oak tree here & I bet that’s where my female’s nest(s) are…way up there as I have spied her taking stuff way up there.

A friend of mine has these thorny, low hedges & he has a lot of hummer nests in there.  The cats can’t bother hummers’ nests, because of huge thorns.  However, he said this plant is very invasive & he gets cuts trying to keep it contained!  I have seen his  bleeding body & scars.  No thank you…lol.

#5155242 Report Abuse
    MDgreenery
    MDgreenery
    Participant

Hello again  JSong,

Not much new to report here on the hummingbirds. Looks like you & I may have read the same article. I do appreciate you looking into my question & also, for you keeping this thread alive. Never know if/when someone else may experience the same thing in their area.

These hummingbirds (the ones we see here) are Ruby-throated but now you made me wonder about the other hummingbird species that hang out in parts of California & Arizona year-long?… I wonder how many broods they produce yearly/seasonally…? But I think I should just stick with the RT’s for now:-)

I truly love old trees, you are so fortunate to have an old oak tree to enjoy. Wouldn’t surprise me if your little female hummer had a nest way up there in your oak tree. And your friend sounds quite dedicated & true to caring for/preserving/protecting the present & future hummingbirds of your neighborhood. I must give your friend praise for going to such lengths to save environment as well as the beloved hummingbirds.  He sounds like a true lover & friend of nature.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.