2 Iowegians in Wisconsin

Home Forums Gardening Garden Chat 2 Iowegians in Wisconsin

This topic contains 26 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by takyslaky takyslaky 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Julie was kind enough to offer to have a garden gathering this year.  Due to other conflicts, expense, etc….only DH and I were able to attend.  Oh what fun you all missed, but I thought I could share a bit of our fun here.

We left home on Friday morning (July 11).  It was a real treat for us to get away.  We not only left town…we left the state.  We traveled into Minnesota and then crossed over into Wisconsin.  We saw some beautiful scenery and because of road construction and detours, we got to get off the beaten path, which I enjoy.

We arrived at Julie’s 6 hours later.  Julie and her husband have a beautiful home in a wooded area.  We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening touring Julie’s gardens and then enjoyed a delicious supper.  Later she gave us a tour of her “little” town.  She calls it that, but to us it is a metropolis…..9,000 is much bigger than our village of 490….lol

Saturday was a big day.  2 of Julie’s friends joined us (Marg and Pat) and we traveled 40 minutes to visit Green Bay….DH & I had never been there before.

I am sorry that you all missed it, but you were there in spirit and certainly in our thoughts.

Our 1st stop was at the Green Bay botanical garden.  Inside the door there was a container garden…..I thought of Melissa and how she would love it with these whimsical frogs

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Oh how Kathy would have enjoyed this garden with the numerous geraniums mixed with grasses.  Those huge moss spheres made me think of Bette.  They look like something she could make and they would fit right into her fairy garden.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This garden looked like something from Harry Potter….I am sure Stella saw something similar on all of her travels.  It kind of looks like one of those beautiful photos Donna’s sister shares with her, doesn’t it?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the rose garden there were these beautiful red roses….I was sure that Lair and Steve would both enjoy them.  I then realized that they looked just like the roses Janet was inquiring about here a couple of weeks ago.  Janet, I hoped I solved your mystery.

I just loved this beautiful bronze statue in the concert garden….wouldn’t it be a lovely addition to Ili’s courtyard?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Here are Marg, Julie, and Larry by a fleece plant in the concert garden.  The soft fuzzy fleece plant made me think of Linda and her fuzzy foxtail lilies.

This is a garden where they grow and stock pile plants for replanting later.  The lady caring for it sure reminded me of Molly, but she disappeared when I got my camera out….just like Molly does….lol.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

When I saw this butterfly planted with hens and chicks, I immediately thought of Karen and how well she likes her butterflies!

I have never seen a plant like this before.  It is a Kangaroo’s paw.  Eva has so many animals it is like a zoo at her house…maybe she needs something like this for her gardens?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a rainbow garden….I bet it will be gorgeous as it fills in more.  I can envision Gitti or Stanette duplicating something like this

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This beautiful coleus is new to me….do you have it Noreen?  You have so many beautiful coleus.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Larry. Pat and Julie admiring the green plants and wooded area.  A more than lovely shade area…..lots of shade…a cool breeze….wouldn’t Leslie and Gary love an oasis like this to escape to in the sweltering heat?

After our tour of the botanical gardens…we were hungry!  Julie took us to a restaurant that is associated with the Green bay packers.  We had their signature char broiled butter burger.  I jus know Del and Joanne would kill for a burger that drips butter off your chin when eating it….with Del’s WW, I am sure she hasn’t had anything like that in quite some time.

Alma….take note of the color of my shirt…and my toenails were polished in teal green in your honor….lol

Me, Julie and Marge in front of Krolls

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After getting our bellies full, we went to visit the home of the Green Bay Packers.  We are not big packer fans, but I had to get a picture for DGS who is….any Packers fans here? I am guessing that Carol and Sandy might be.  (I know Julie is)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our next stop was a delightful one…..

numerous flavors of frozen yogurt…..and any topping you can think of….YUMMM….eating our sweet treat brought back memories of Sandy, Jan, Rob, and Tammee doing the same thing while at Bettes’ in 2011.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Our last stop in Green Bay was a nursery called Rosehill Gardens.  It has such beautiful and healthy looking flowers….I wanted one of everything!  The owner was a very nice guy and so helpful….I am sure just like Leroy and Snowwolf are to their customers.  This man specializes in hybridizing day lilies….we just knew that Gayle would LOVE this place.  This double Salmon made it back home with us!

I so wanted to buy one of these asiatic and I would have shared with Lair….there were 3 lilies in each pot….but he was sold out. (insert sad face)  Sorry Lair!

When we were by this fountian, I close my eyes and poof….I was sitting on Wendy’s patio listening to her new fountain!  How relaxing….here Julie and Marg are resting before the trip home.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Isn’t this lovely….would like to see it in a few weeks.  I imagine that all of Snowwolf’s gardens look like this! The owner was busy getting things spruced up because next weekend the Nat’l day lily society was going to be visiting. ….are you a member of that, Gayle?

Once we all purchased things….it was time to find room in the car.  The trunk was overflowing and these had to go into the back seat.

Margba….if you need help moving….I think you should give Julie a call.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It was then back home….and just in time for it started to rain!  What a great day we had in the city…and another relaxing evening at her home…and more good food!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In the early mornings, I enjoyed watching the hummers at Julies feeders….made me think of all of you, but especially Mmarnee.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We left for home Sunday morning.  I was the navigator, so I chose to take a drive through some of the rolling hills in SE Minnesota where I grew up……

“Country Roads take me Home”…………………………………….

Julie was a fabulous hostess….and we had a great time….but it is always good to be back home!

I apologize if I forgot anyone….it isn’t that we didn’t think and talk nicely about each and every one of you!

Julie….thanks for the memories!

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5266137 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Nice pictures.  Looks like a good time & I love that Daylily.

You made me feel like I was there Charlene.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5266142 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

Wow, what a beautiful trip and love all the narrating and time you took… I feel like I went along… even though I don’t get to gardening very often, I do look at all the great pics….

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5266143 Report Abuse
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    llittleeva9NWIlZn5
    Participant

Just beautiful Charlene. I am hoping to be able to go to Julie’s before the snow starts flying.

In anser to your question from yesterdays question, Mom is doing good. My aunt had a good talki with my sister when she got in and Mom will be moving in the next couple weeks. Mom is hoping to be able to start driving again soon. Her car is parked at my youngest DB(the one who had the cancer issue).

Now back to the pics.  Good Grief Charlene, don’t give me any ideas. I really like that Kangaroo paw..   Thank you for sharing. I felt as if I had been there with all of you.

Eva

#5266146 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Beautiful pictures and a nice tour.  Such nice flowers/plants and designed so nicely, too.  Lots of nice daylilies in bloom there.  They are blooming everywhere now.  I have some dark red ones and different oranges and yellows in bloom.

I have so many weeds though to get pulled out away from the plants.  The weather makes them grow and spread to drown everything else out….a big problem this year.

Thanks for the tour Charlene.  Your DH looks good and trim and enjoyed the leisurely tour, no doubt.  Glad you both could go traveling!

I have seen those frogs in catalogs for sale for container plants as well as many other small garden figurines to place in the flower beds.

#5266149 Report Abuse
    SunshineNY6
    SunshineNY6
    Participant

Thanks for the great tour. Glad you had such a nice trip. I love the rainbow garden idea.

Find more about Weather in Rochester, NY

#5266164 Report Abuse
    Kathy
    Kathy
    Participant

You did a fabulous job taking us all along with you!!

I am happy to hear that you had a good time.

Kathy zone4

Find more about Weather in Sioux Falls, SD

#5266171 Report Abuse
    ili Z.9
    ili Z.9
    Participant

Thank you for  thinking of me and also showing us the beautiful pictures. It seems that we were all with you visiting Wisconsin, Minnessota, etc….lovely countrysides and WOW for all the gorgeous designs and plants…

.gif.html" target="_blank">x_3f0b069b photo x_3f0b069b_zpsa1c3a481.gif

#5266177 Report Abuse
    anky37
    anky37
    Participant

You did an excellent job there Charlene!! You could be a writer!! Beautiful pics! Glad you had a great time!!

photo signature_1.gif

#5266187 Report Abuse
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    wilderness_NY_Z4
    Participant

Wonderful pictures and narrative.  Would love the opportunity to visit such gardens.  The ideas one could get.  Love the moss spheres.  Something to think about.  Also liked the butterfly with the hen and chick.  Another idea churning in the old brain.

photo signature_3.gif

Community Team Member wildernessny@gmail.com

#5266189 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Sue….darn it….I forgot you in my narrative….but we did talk about you…and all we said was nice!  Charlene

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5266196 Report Abuse
    Sandy K.
    Sandy K.
    Participant

Charlene I so enjoyed the tour ,I felt like I was there with everyone .

Did you get the name of the <span style=”color: #444444; font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 15.692307472229004px; background-color: #fbfbfb;”>asiatic lily that he ran out of stock of . I  would love to look it up see if I can find some for sale .I just love the looks of them and they so pop with color. </span>

So glad you guys had a great time .

Sandy K

Find more about Weather in Lupton, MI

#5266235 Report Abuse
    plantdoctorzn4
    plantdoctorzn4
    Participant

Thanks for the kind words and compliments everyone.

Sandy….I do not recall the name of that lily….thinking it might have Sambo in it’s title.  Let me find the nurseries website and share….maybe it is on there.

http://www.rhgardens.com/

photo 100_1493.jpg

#5266243 Report Abuse
    steve232__nc
    steve232__nc
    Participant

Charlene great recap of your visit. But I am wondering something……………Ok y’all had these big burgers dripping off your chin and then 2 pictures later you were going to the  yogurt shop to eat again !!! How were you able to walk after all that eating lol.

Also loved those scenic pictures. Reminds me of leaving here and traveling west up the mountain about 20 miles and the scenery is a lot like those beautiful pictures you posted.

Community Team Member
    Find more about Weather in North Wilkesboro, NC

#5266244 Report Abuse
    Stelios
    Stelios
    Participant

Loved the tour and photos.  Anytime botanical gardens are on the agenda, it has to be great.  Lot of lovely flowers you all got a chance to see.

Stella
    Community Team Member

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.