2 hour late start for school tomorrow(Iluv)

Home Forums Backyard Chat General 2 hour late start for school tomorrow(Iluv)

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bwatcher 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

Dangerously cold weather tomorrow…. could see -50 below windchill a -15 for actual temp. So, as a parent you have to scramble to figure out how to get you kid to school safely.  Since we were snowed in today (school was closed anyways for a teacher work day) I HAVE to go in on time tomorrow…. I tells ya, working at the other office was SO much better…. they didn’t mind if I would be 2 hrs late due to school/weather…. But why not just close school?  What difference is 2 hrs going to make in that type of temps??? Not much.  Just venting here.

#4784725 Report Abuse
    Bonitading_NJ
    Bonitading_NJ
    Participant

I don’t understand the 2 hour start either, I guess they think it’ll take 2 hours travel time to get there. LOL

Lilli’s school is usually always open. They did have some water pipe issues 2 weeks ago, but were able to stay open. they had water upstairs but not downstairs, different water lines. our public schools have been closed a lot this winter it seems

#4784731 Report Abuse

OhioLilacLady
    Participant

Schools get “”delayed”" here quite often for cold, fog etc. but this bitter cold and winds we re suffering thru makes it mighty hard to get the buses running or keep the buildings warm.

We are allowed 5 “”calamity”" days before the kids have to start making up the days.  Many of the schools here are several days past that allowance so it looks like some will be giving up their Easter/Spring breaks as well as possibly going longer at the end of the year.

I think, a lot of the time, those 2 hour delays are just to wait until it gets daylight rather than road/weather conditions.

Be careful out there driving to work etc. ….

Stay warm and safe ~~~~

Marilyn

#4784737 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

the roads should be fine by now….I can understand if the roads were plugged up due to snow, it’d take 2 hrs for the plows to get out and about…but cold is COLD…and if you are closing it for 2 hrs due to cold…. it’s going to be cold anyways.

A guy came into work the other day to pay his bill.  He used to be a teacher…. retired and in his early 70′s if I had to guess.  He said the world is raising a bunch of “wimps”… he said never in “his day” did they close school due to cold…. and he said even if they do, fine for the kids, but the teachers could still go in…. he’s a tuff old man I tells ya!  LoL

#4784830 Report Abuse
    Bonitading_NJ
    Bonitading_NJ
    Participant

They close school here in WV before anything even happens. LOL In NJ, they at least wait until the sky opens and then decide to close school after the kids are there for a certain amount of hours. Usually they would stay in school for half the time, that counts. But NJ is good at plowing roads, salting, that sort of thing. They don’t do that here in the hills. Even when we had those wicked nor’easterns that would dump a foot of snow, things did not close.  When it snows here, no one moves, I didn’t see any life here on my hill most of the weekend and we didn’t have that much snow, maybe 8 inches, and I was out early saturday to do some errands and then yesterday at noon.   I’m not used to people calling a day before anything even starts to cancel their appointment, and we have a very high amount of cancellations where I work. We even have patients that cancel for rain here. I never heard of that. I had 4 people cancel this morning for tomorrow, for the expected cold weather. I don’t know how anyone can have a viable business here.

I drive in the snow all the time, it is treacherous, but if you G O  S L O W and not think you can drive 50 mph like these idiots seem to do, its fine. Heck, last winter I drove over the mountain pass going to the college to work I don’t know how many times, and half the time I’d get there and they had already closed the campus, even if it was just a coating. My DD is a driver here and drives all over southern WV and you would not believe some of the roads she has to drive on. Good thing she has chains.  I have the little nissan this year, got stuck 2 times already, got her out and up the incline though.

#4785120 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

now they are saying only -38 below windchill and -2 for a temp…… heat wave

#4785552 Report Abuse

Missylynne
    Participant

Our schools are closed again for the 2nd day. I think they are allowed 2/3 snow days, so they will be making up days somewhere along the way. The temp here is -17, with a wind chill of -36. We have lots of sunshine, but I can’t wait till the sun actually does some heating.

Laurel

#4785555 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Local schools and colleges are closed here today and tomorrow “in case” of ice and snow on the roads, this is Pensacola FL  :lol:

Terry

#4786676 Report Abuse

bwatcher
    Participant

I think part of the cold delay thing is to see if they can even get the diesel buses started. Our superintendent gets a lot of his info for making his delay or cancel decisions from the highway patrol, the county maintenance guy, and then he goes and checks it himself. We have so many nasty hills here, but with ice, nothing is safe. I think he also takes into consideration that there are a LOT of kids that drive to school, and if he can’t drive on it, they shouldn’t be either.

When I was growing up, there were numerous times that our bus finally made it to school, only to find out that they had called off school an hour before. That was an era wayyyyyy before cell phones. You froze on the bus, chains might be your only hope (poor driver that had to go put them on), and then get there only to be sent home shortly after. If they call it off or delay it, the school can save a lot of money on fuel by not picking them up and then having to take them home again 4 hrs. later.

In the past, they have been saying that if they give them a meal, then they consider it a day of attendance. Well, now they aren’t liking that. They’re talking about requiring the kids to be in school by HOURS ATTENDED, not by mandatory days of attendance. I think they’re finally getting smart there. These kids are missing way too many hours of some classes (mornings especially due to delays) and are basically teaching themselves.

When I was a kid, we had to go to school on Saturdays to make up missed days. They can’t do that now. They can’t inconvenience anyone by scheduling class on Saturday.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 4 weeks ago by  bwatcher.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.