2 &1/2 ft of water in the basement

Home Forums Backyard Chat General 2 &1/2 ft of water in the basement

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  joan1___Alabama 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

That we are are scooping out.  Over 8″ of rain in the last couple days.

Half the house has electricity … other half no.

Furnace under water…. water heater under water (gas)….. this is NOT good and couldn’t have come at a worse time… prayers please….. we need them….we shut off the gas to the house… we could smell it…not a good thing

#5155476 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Sorry to hear this, Chickie.  Our hot water heater (gas) in our old house was under the house.  Wasn’t even a basement, just a dug out crawl space & it flooded every time we had a hard rain.

And I’ve been through a flood where we had 3+ feet of water in the house itself.  It’s a mess to deal with, I know.  I’ll be keeping you in my thoughts.

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5155477 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

Thank you Gayle

#5155478 Report Abuse
    Gayle
    Gayle
    Participant

Any way you can siphon it out?

Community Team Member  photo 193363krpfxnjkkm_zpsb1d455d7.gif

#5155479 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

Hubby has the hose sucking it out…but that’s SLOW

My freezer is out…. not a good thing.

Don’t know what’s up with electricity… it’s odd how some outlets work and others don’t. Scary

#5155480 Report Abuse
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    ILUVCHICKODEES___MN
    Participant

Its going to be a LONG night.  I called in to work and took tomorrow off

#5155489 Report Abuse
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Ga Girls Flowers
    Participant

Ilov     sorry to hear about your water problems….Hope lots of it has been pumped out of there when you get up this morning….Prayers that your water heater and furnace are not ruined. Glad you cut the gas off….that didn’t sound good (smell)…   Prayers for a better day TODAY.

Janet...z7.
    Find more about Weather in Sharpsburg, GA

#5155533 Report Abuse
    Resa_NS
    Resa_NS
    Participant

Oh No!!! BTDT and it is not fun!

Do you have insurance?  Part of our electricity was out too when ours flooded, it was the circuit breakers as some of ours has GFI’s (ground fault interrupters,) I am so sorry sweetie, {{hugs}}

#5155557 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Sorry for the mess you are in.  We had 3 ft. of water in our basement before due to remnants from a hurricane in 1972, and we lost a lot of stuff.  Our basement was finished off and lots of kids’ stuff there, ping pong table, furnace, hot water tank, washer/dryer, my husband’s office so many tax records on file of his clients, and lots of stuff in storage that was ruined.  Sure a mess….no electricity for a week either.  And, rained for another 5 days so nothing would dry out.  Many on our street had to evacuate and cellar walls collapsed on some homes on other end.  Such a mess to clean and dry out, so I know what you are going through….total chaos and big mess.  Just stay safe yourself and leave if you have to…scary when gas smells, some outlets work, etc.

#5155560 Report Abuse
    CatsBirds
    CatsBirds
    Participant

I am so very sorry to hear this…. I totally know what you are going through, just stay safe… that is all that matters… Everything can be fixed.  After our flood last year, we now have everything new in the basement…and yes half the electricity was out like yours.. the furnace probably did that. 

Wish I were closer to help.. keep us informed… we all care ..

Sharon, Catsbirds, Community Team Member
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

#5155593 Report Abuse

Posynut_NY_zone4
    Participant

Our homeowner’s insurance would not cover any flood damage we had.  Act of God and no coverage for it.  That was the way with many here so small business loans were available for many that qualified for it so that was a help to many for replacement and repair/rebuild.  We slept in recliners in livingroom for a few nights watching the water rise outside and on hillside across from us.  Gas Co. notified some houses during night when flooding was near on other end of street but we didn’t know about it till neighbor boy came across street at 6 am and told us we were having a flood.  By then, we could only watch the situation and managed to grab a few things off the desk in basement before water hit the top of it.

Maybe insurance covers such things now, but back then it did not.  And, we were not in flood prone zone so didn’t have the coverage of flood insurance either as is required in some areas.

#5155595 Report Abuse
    margba
    margba
    Participant

OH, NO!  Sending hugs & prayers! So sorry about this!

#5155598 Report Abuse
    carross
    carross
    Participant

So sorry to hear this, I know its not fun.  My daughter floods every so often.  Just take caution and be careful turning things on and off.  Hopefully your insurance will take care of this.  Has the rain stopped?  I hope so.  Here in Michigan we are getting rain today, after 3.5 Tuesday thru Wednesday.  Whats up with Mother Nature.

Take care, Carol

#5155632 Report Abuse

tealbirdIA_Z4
    Participant

So sorry ILOV!

Hope you get lots of help to clean up your misfortune.Alma

<*)~// Tealbird

#5155649 Report Abuse

surferdude_FL
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your loss, we have flood insurance but aren’t required to have it, our home is 42″ off the ground. It would be a good idea to invest in some “sump pumps” for the future, they have some models that have battery back up in case of power failure.

Terry

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.