Whether you enjoy poetry or not, chances are you’ve come across Edgar Allan Poe’s famous “The Raven” more than once in your life. Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary… those words lead the reader into a tale of romantic madness, as the raven of the title taunts the narrator over and over with the phrase “Nevermore,” and memories of the lost Lenore. It’s no wonder this poem makes frequent appearances throughout the Halloween season. If you enjoy The Raven, try making a Nevermore wreath to hang on your own chamber door this Halloween. Here’s how I made mine.
Nevermore Wreath Materials
- Oval grapevine wreath (14″ x 21″)
- Black lace ribbon
- Parchment scrapbook paper
- Ornamental wood photo frame
- Black paint
- Artificial raven
- Berry spray picks (dark red/white)
- Artificial black roses
- Artificial black/deep red dahlias
- Artificial black feathers
- Tim Holtz pen nibs (found in the scrapbooking section)
- Hot glue
- Black wire
- Computer with printer (or thick black marker)
Nevermore Wreath – Images and Quill Pen
- Paint the wooden photo frame black and allow to dry. (To download, right-click over the image and choose “Save”.)
- Download the images shown above (“Nevermore” and the daguerreotype of the young woman – “Lenore”). Use your computer and printer to size and print them on the parchment paper. The “Nevermore” image should be about 10 inches long. The daguerreotype should be sized to fit your wooden photo frame.
- Trim the daguerreotype to fit your frame and glue it in place.
- Leaving a wide border, cut out the “Nevermore” image. Then, carefully tear the edges all the way around. If desired, add additional aging by holding the edges over a candle flame until they brown lightly. (Use fire safety precautions if you do this step.)
- Select one of the longest black feathers and the pen nib of your choice. Slide the shaft of the feather into the nib and secure with a bit of glue if needed. Dip the nib of the pen into a bit of black paint and allow to dry.
Nevermore Wreath – Assembly
- Secure one end of the the black lace ribbon with a dab of hot glue, and wrap the ribbon around the wreath as desired. Trim and secure the other end with another dab of glue.
- Tuck the berry sprays into the ribbon, spaced around the wreath. Glue the berries into place as desired.
- Position the “Nevermore” paper as you like it, and secure with a few dots of hot glue.
- Place the quill pen with the nib just at the end of the word Nevermore. Secure it across the middle with black wire, and glue at either end.
- Glue the photo frame into place at the top of the wreath.
- Place the artificial raven as shown and use black wire to secure in place.
- Trim flower stems to size and tuck into the wreath as shown (or however you like). Secure with glue.
- Add black feathers around the wreath in a few places.