Do you like lemons? How about salt?
When you combine these two ingredients together, you get lemon salt, which is a delicious way to add flavor to your favorite dishes. There are so many recipes that lemon salt can be used for – it tastes great on chicken and fish, makes a great addition to your favorite viniagrette dressing and I use it for my salsa. Of course, it doesn’t stop there – you can use it in soups or any other dish where you would add a dash of citrus and salt.
Lemon salt is very easy to make and you don’t have to have a tree filled with lemons to do it – grocery store lemons will work just fine too.
Here is how simple lemon salt is to make:
1. You will need 3 lemons and 1 cup of kosher salt.
2. Zest the 3 lemons.
3. Mix the lemon zest, salt and the juice from 1 of the lemons in a bowl.
4. Spread out the lemon salt mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet.
5. Place in a 200 degree F. oven and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Gently break up any clumps with your fingers or place in your food processor and pulse into a finer texture.
7. Use right away or store in a jar with a lid.
And, that’s it! Making lemon salt is a fun DIY garden project whether you use lemons straight from your garden or from the store. It also makes great homemade gifts that costs very little.
Of course, lemons aren’t the only fruit you can use to make salts from. For more detailed directions with photos and other citrus fruit you can make salts from, check out my personal blog post, here.