- At 405 miles, Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucky is the longest known cave system in the world.
- There are 59 national parks in the U.S.
- Woodrow Wilson, the 28th president, signed the National Park Service Organic Act on Aug. 25, 1916, making the National Park Service a part of the federal government.
- The smallest national park is Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial in Pennsylvania at .02 acres.
- Before there was an official National Park Service, Ulysses S. Grant signed off on what would become the first national park, Yellowstone, in 1872.
- The National Parks cover more than 84 million acres.
- The National Park Service employs 22,000 people and has 221,000 volunteers.
oh dear you haven't activated/installed rd-newsletter-teaser