Ever wish it was easier to see how much money was inside your piggy bank? You need a shadow box bank! These banks let you watch your money collection grow between the glass front and pretty background. These trendy banks are easy to make when you start with a top-loading shadowbox with a pre-drilled slot for inserting your money. Add some colorful scrapbook paper and vinyl lettering, and your DIY shadow box bank is ready to start collecting seed money for your garden or birds.
- 8 x 8 in top-loading shadow box
- Scrapbook paper in design of your choice (paper shown found here)
- 8 x 8 in piece of thick scrap cardboard
- Double-sided tape
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Ruler and pencil
- Die cut machine
- Permanent black adhesive vinyl
- Transfer tape
- Image below
TIP: This project uses a die cut machine to make the vinyl letters. If you don't have one, try asking your local library. Many libraries now keep these on hand for use by patrons, and will show you how to use it. No die cut machine available? Use letter stickers, try creating a stencil by hand, or write on the glass using a paint pen.
DIY Shadow Box Bank Background
- Turn over the bank and open it up via the back panel.
- Remove the back panel and discard any paper or inserts. Pull off any attached padding or other items.
- Trim the scrapbook paper to 8 in x 8 in, using paper cutter or scissors and ruler.
- Trim scrap cardboard to 8 in x 8 in.
- Using double-sided tape, attach scrapbook paper to cardboard, then attach cardboard to back panel, as shown.
- While box is open, thoroughly clean inside of glass.
- Replace back panel and close box.
DIY Shadow Box Bank Lettering With Die Cut Machine
- Download the "SEED MONEY" image above to your computer.
- Use your die cut machine's program to upload the image.
- Size the image to about 7 in x 3 in.
- Cut the image following your machine's instructions.
- Weed excess vinyl, leaving only the letters.
- Apply image to front of glass in position shown, using transfer tape for best results.
Clean Glass and Insert Money!
- Rub the vinyl letters with your finger or wood craft stick to ensure they are firmly in place.
- Spray glass cleaner over the surface and clean with a cloth or paper towel. Rub area over letters gently, and check for any lifting.
- Insert coins or paper money (folded) into top slot of your DIY shadow box bank.
- To open the bank and get the money out, turn over and carefully remove back of box. Empty out money, replace back, and start saving again!