Recycling with Coffee
Six uses for coffee cans and coffee grounds.
- Make a feeder with an empty can. Remove the top and bottom, place on its side, fill with seed and hang.
- Put an empty open can over your tender plants to prevent cutworms from harming them.
- Use a can to raise a ripening watermelon or squash off the ground so the bottom of the fruit doesn't rot.
- Measure the rainfall your garden receives by placing empty coffee cans around the area. If there is at least 1-inch inside, no supplemental watering is needed.
- Sprinkle a thin layer of coffee grounds around the base of certain plants to improve the soil.
- Use coffee grounds at the base of some plants to deter slugs and snails.