The white-throated sparrow is often forgotten, but this backyard bird is a true gem. Learn how to attract the white-throated sparrow to your yard, and listen to its song.
Photo: Roland Jordahl
- Scientific Name: Zonotrichia albicollis.
- Family: Finch.
- Length: 6-3/4 inches.
- Wingspan: 9 inches.
- Distinctive Markings: White throat, yellow patches in front of eyes and striped heads; some are white and black, others tan with black.
- Nest: Builds nest from fine materials on or near the ground; three to six blue to green eggs with reddish-brown specks.
- Song: "Old Sam Peabody, Peabody, Peabody" or "Oh, sweet Canada, Canada, Canada."
- Habitat: Gardens, residential areas, woodlands and clearings.
- Diet: Weed seeds, fruits, buds and insects.
- Backyard Favorites: Red and white millet, sunflower, cracked corn and other seeds served in tray feeders.
Listen to this bird’s song