Want to attract purple martins to your backyard during nesting season? It's easier than you think. Learn how to attract purple martins to your yard, and listen to their song.
Photo: George Harrison
- Scientific Name: Progne subis.
- Family: Swallow.
- Length: 8 inches.
- Wingspan: 18 inches.
- Distinctive Markings: The male sports shiny blue-black feathers over its entire body. The female has a dark head and tail with gray or white feathers on its throat and belly.
- Nest: Male helps the female construct a nest of plant materials before she lays four to five white eggs.
- Song: A low-pitched warble.
- Habitat: Open areas with water nearby.
- Diet: Insects.
- Backyard Favorites: Attract martins by mounting a multi-compartment house or several gourds on a 14-foot pole. Locate it in an open area at least 40 feet from the nearest trees.
Listen to this bird’s song